Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Develops character: Neutral

I love the opportunity my kids are given but as far as bullying issues and how mean kids are ...... are just not handled properly.

Both my kids attended this school. So far, teachers we got last year were great......but have seen how other teachers are (since I volunteered) and some yell, talk about their student (not good things) and they look annoyed! Issues with how they handle bullying are not properly handled! Staff in the front office are so rude and unprofessional, both principles are not involved as much. Like another parent review said, PTA has trouble involving parents........ I think it's their fault! They don't advertise the need, or the fun stuff, I signed up and was never called or sent anything at all! I was thinking it was because I was hispanic and they were all white! The events are not as excited and energetic as other schools. I think this school needs to be more involved with students, patents and more consciousness on what bullying is, at least to learn on how to prevent little incident in becoming bigger ones!.

Great teachers, & a very patient and approachable principle! Daughter us gone here for two years and love the school!

Darnell has gone downhill the last two years. Teachers are leaving left and right because of issues with administration. My child lost their teacher midway through the school year two years in a row. They lack proper intervention for children who are struggling in a specific area. I can't wait until my children are zoned for another school. I loathe Darnell.

Great school with great teachers.My kids were and are lucky to go there.Wouldn't have it any other way.Maybe some of the other problems I am reading about starts with parenting.

This school is a joke! My son went to a private school for kindergarten and first grade and got straight A's. He was doing third grade work in the first grade. Unfortunately I lost my job and we could no longer afford the private school anymore. I had to enroll him here and now he is barely passing! I wasn't quite sure why until today. I dropped my son off at safe key and on my way out of the parking lot was almost hit by two vehicles pulling in the exit, come to find out THEY WERE TEACHERS!!!!!! How can they teach our kids if they themselves can't read or follow rules!!!! THANK GOD this will be our last horrible experience at this joke of a school!!!!

This is a great school. We came from Northern Virginia, where our daughter's school had traditionally rated 8-9 on greatschools.org. We have found Darnell elementary to be better in almost every way. First, our daughter has attended this school for 2 years now, and both of her teachers have been fantastic! They work with our daughter to ensure she's maximizing her potential every day. She has already tested for the Gifted program for next year. Most importantly, the teachers are recognized for performance, and everybody seems pretty motivated. The PTA has not been as effective this year as last, due to a change in personalities, but that could easily change back. Overall, we recommend this school strongly and are looking forward to another year.

This school seemed good until recently. My 5th grader has seen and been witness to horrible bullying, and the administration does nothing. I am so happy she won't go there any more. The PTA is awesome and has made it extremely fun for the kids, unlike the staff/administration. Staff and parents are pitted against each other and the P, VP do nothing but sit back. The kids are just numbers and are bribed for good test scores. Sad place. Nothing will be getting better. Many teachers are leaving because of the lack of confidence in leadership (administration) and lack of concern for students.

I feel that this school was good when we first started going here, 3 years ago. Now, the PTA is having a hard time getting any parent involvement, the front staff is rude, except for Sherry. You have to fight for everything there for special requests. It is a challenge to have your child looked at as something other than a test score! Teachers are not getting support they need and the school has no true rules with handling bullies.

I would not recommend this school. We decided to move to this school district a year ago, because the school got a 9/10. Well it has fallen to 7, and should be farther in my opinion. My son has failed the 3rd grade, after a modest amount of help from the school. Th teacher did what she could, but obviously, not enough. When problems were obsereved, it seemed like the only answer was more homework, which he had problems doing what he had. I have asked for ann IEP several times, but have been denied. What other litmus test do you need than the kid flunks the grade?? Asked for a zone variance, but it is still CCSD. Pretty soon we will need to change the spelling of the state to NEVADUH!!!

Last modified Marshall C Darnell Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.