Patricia A Bendorf Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 850 students

Posted June 8, 2014

We just got through our first year if Kindergarden and I am very impressed with the level of education that my son received. The teacher was very hands on and spent a lot of assessing each child's individual learning needs. I am glad the principal pushes their teachers. I want my child to have the best education possible without having to worry about how to pay for a private school. We loved our teacher this year!! So far, I give this school 5 stars!

Posted May 23, 2014

We have had nothing but nightmares with this school.My child switched teachers this past Fall. This helped my child tremendously. But the current prinipal is the main ploblem of the place. It is runned like a well run prison. And the principal is the Warden. None of the teachers look happy at all. And half of the specials teacher like library and music teachers are mean to the kids. If you don't like kids why would you be a teacher. At the beginning of. February my child started asking me about going to a different school next year. About a month ago I over heard my child tell somebody that they were NOT going back to Bendorf next year. My child used to LOVE school before Bendorf. Now my child hates school and begs me to pick them up early.

Posted May 23, 2014

The teachers are awesome. However every year teachers leave and new teachers come. Bad management. My kids are in 2nd and 1st grade. They have been there since kindergarten. There was snack time for kindergarten with my first child, but it was dropped with my second. Both complain they do not have enough time to eat at lunch. They have said that recess is before lunch. That is extremely wrong in my book. They have also said that staff rush the kids when eating and THROW AWAY LUNCHES! I have heard parents complaining and they were told it was the students fault they talk too much. WHAT?! I have lived in Vegas my whole life, when I was in school I have never had been rushed or my lunch thrown away and recess was after we were done eating! They will not be attending the next school year. Good luck if you are zoned for this prison. No a prison is 10 more stars than this school.

Posted May 11, 2014

The current principal is not a good leader and should not be a principal. She has her favorites and the rest of the staff stay out of way. She doesn't want parents involved in the school. Many good teachers have left since she was placed here. She did the same things at Ober. Instead of creating a community, she destroys it.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 28, 2014

Everything rises and falls on leadership. I just can't find much to brag about this school, except that they are really good at regularly sending fundraising opportunities. Compared to the three other schools my child has attended, I'm sorry to say this one has got a firm lock on fourth place.

Posted March 29, 2014

The current principal is terrible. The majority of the staff transferred last year after three years with her as the leader. Many staff will probably leave again. This is the last year for my child. Thank goodness. Don't let test scores fool you.

Posted March 9, 2014

First off, no school is perfect and this one is no exception. I have to boys that attend this school and are in second and fourth grade. They have been here since kindergarten and love this School. I love this School as well. Aside from over crowding in the class rooms I think that the teachers are hands on with each student and cater to their individual needs. I haven't had a negative experience yet and honestly over all I think Bendorf is a great school. Two thumbs up!

Posted November 14, 2013

Other parents... I have already pulled my daughter from this school because of her horrid teacher and experiences with this principal. She doesn't like kids and intimidates and mini pulsates them. Blue ribbon school... Maybe before this principal was there but not because she has done anything to help that. Please... Other parents need to call and make concerns known! We all need to speak out!

Posted October 11, 2013

Just a terrible school. It's all a show. They say that they are against bullying, but they do nothing to prevent it from happening. Also, the principal is oppressive. She just wants to put fame to this school by always reminding the me and the other parents that they are a blue ribbon school. My child is currently in 5th grade there, and he's been there since kindergarten. He told me that his principal is always boasting about her achievements, even though the school got those awards just after the principal switch. There's some game called 5 square. The kids always lie and cheat in it while the teachers are looking. They don't do anything about it. Also, there is a lot of bullying in 5 square. All in all, a horrid school. Note : The teachers are great, but the principal sometimes harasses them, like what happened to my other son's teacher.

Posted September 27, 2013

I MOST DEFENITLY HATE THIS SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!! WE JUST MOVED HERE FROM A FAR WAY BETTER SCHOOL & MY 2ND GRADE DAUGHTER (WHO LOVES SCHOOL) CAME HOME FROM THIS SCHOOL, HORRIFIDE!! SHE TOLD ME THAT HER TEACHER CURSED IN HER CLASS & THAT SHE WAS PLAIN MEAN!! ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS THAT IF YOUR GOING TO BE WORKING WITH LITTLE KIDS DONT SAY THOSE WORDS! WHEN WE WENT TO THE OFFICE TO ADRESS THIS ISSUE THE PRINCIPAL WAS IN A "MEETING" (OFCOURES! HOW CONVINIENT!) WE HAVE BEEN WANTING TO HAVE A MEETING WITH BOTH OF THEM & CANT SEEM TO HAVE IT BECAUSE THEY ARE "ALWAYS WAY TOO BUSY IN MEETINGS" THIS IS BY FAR THE WORST SCHOOL EVER!!!!!!

Posted September 24, 2013

My daughter hated this school, she was bullied and when I tried to bring it to the attention of the principal she just said you need to see the counselor. When I tried to see the counselor it was a 2 weeks wait to discuss the bullying of my daughter which I was not happy with. When we were finally able to see the counselor she just told the students to shake hands and get over it. Really? My daughter was miserable at this school and cried daily before going to school. When she was transferred to her current school, the difference was like night and day. She was happy and became an honor roll student. I feel very bad that she was subjected to such cruelty and the school did not even care. So much for this is a no bully zone!!!

Posted July 18, 2012

I really like this school. The high standards the pricipal has for the stundent and teachers is great, that means she cares about our childrens future. I have read some of the negative reviews and can't say I agree with them. Our children go to school to get and education not to play. These high standards will teach them the discipline they will need in the futre as well as work ethic. You have to perform well to succeed in life. Yes it would be nice to have more activities and educational feild trips but this is not the schools fault it is a funding issue.

Posted July 13, 2012

Terrible school. Oppressive tyrant of a principal. Stressed teachers and kids trying to get high test scores. Kids cannot run on playground for fear of liability and must cross arms and put hands over mouth during hallway walk. Walk - NO - RUN far away from this school!

Posted May 26, 2011

This is just the experience I have with my child's teacher whom I LOVE. She is an amazing kindergarten teacher and I hope there are more teachers like her in my child's education future. Unfortunately like all school's all teacher's are under paid and over worked. So, you will see both good and bad reviews but they depend on the person whose working with your child. I'd also like to add I've worked with the speech therapist at this school as well and she is very good as well.

Posted March 28, 2011

Don't let the ratings fool you, the only thing this school has going for it is great CRT scores! Other than that is is a miserable place for children.

Posted March 23, 2011

This is a GREAT school!!!! My granddaughter has attended Bendorf for the 3rd & 4th grade and she has gone from the teacher telling us that she needs to be held back(because the school she came from was so far behind) to getting A-B honor roll. She has an excellent teacher, an excellent music teacher, an excellent art teacher, and I am sure the PE teacher is also excellent. I love this school and I think CCSD should use this school as a model of what a excellent K-5 should be teaching and exposing students to. Proud grandparent of a Patricia A. Bendorf Student.

Posted March 18, 2011

Hi, I'm a mom of 4 yr. old boy who needs special education and today I got a call from Early Childhood an they assigned him to this school just for the rest of the school year; is a little far from my home I live in Mountains Edge , but after read all of this I'm scared and not sure if they 'll help my child. Does somebody have any coment for this? Thanks.

Posted February 27, 2011

My daughter has not been in this school for two years. I was curious when I received an automatice email today re: Bendorf. When purchasing a home, I overlooked several very nice opportunities due to the fact that I felt this was a terrible school. I agree with the parent who posted concerns in April of 2009.....my sincere comments are no longer posted here :) The teacher and Principal at this school were more than shocking to me as to how they behaved, even in front of me. My honor roll student was accused of being on prescription medications by her teacher after three weeks in her 3rd grade class. The obviously aggressiveness of this "strung-out" educator sent us away.

Posted November 23, 2010

Hi. I have been in this school since kindergarten. All of my teachers have been very nice to me and helpful, but after I've graduated from that school, and went to LJHS it seems that the whole school has changed from fun and helpful to boring and uncaring. a few years ago, everything was all nice and now its like a prison. the principal was so nice and caring (and from what I've heard, they have a new principal) and now she has been mean and has also retired and her new successor is even worse.

Posted July 7, 2010

My childeren has been at this school for 5 years now and during that time we have seen the school go from bad to worse. I have seen programs cut, good teachers leave and childeren treated like inmates in a prison. Dont get me wrong some childern are treated ok if they can make it on their own, but if your child needs any extra attention do not expect to get it. Bendorf has cut science, handwriting, PTO, Boy Scouts, Movie Night, scock hop, any and all field trips out of the school criculum and from what I have been told was to expect more to be cut. I understand that overall as parents we should expect a good education for our childern, but to what expence. Right now the only thing this school has going for it is good test scores, which is the schools only criculum.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2013.

140 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

140 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Nevada used the Criterion Referenced Test (CRT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and in grades 5 and 8 in science. The CRT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Nevada. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2013.

144 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 71% in 2013.

130 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

122 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 66% in 2013.

121 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 61% in 2013.

122 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 44% in 2011.

111 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students81%

Students with limited English proficiency71%
Proficient in English73%
Not migrant73%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Nevada Department of Education; if there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students86%

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 16% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 46%N/A54%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

3550 South Kevin Way