Eileen Brookman Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 696 students

Sweep tile

Posted March 21, 2013

I AM AN ACTIVE BOARD MEMBER OF THE PTA & have been for 3 years. When the post from 2/28 was brought to my attention I never thought it would be that ridiculous & that I would have to be on here defending Brookman. My children have attended school here for 4 years now & I have never had one negative thought about ANYONE here. From day one I have felt at home here. Everyone is family,at Brookman from teachers to parents to Admin & Staff. To the woman who wrote the post: I am pretty sure I have never seen you at a PTA meeting. Have you ever helped at the school at all? Not just in your childs class (I personally avoid that as I think that it is a distraction to the teacher & students) There are so many other things that you can help with & have not or you would not be saying these things. These people that you talk so poorly about, Do you know them? Did you ever try to get to know them? You should be ashamed of yourself. You're setting a HORRIBLE example for your child. Being a "former PTA President" you should know the ins & outs of schools & what each person including the office people endure on a daily basis. I am honored to be part of the Brookman Family & YOU SHOULD BE ALSO.

Posted March 8, 2013

In regards to the post from February 28, 2013. You should be ashamed of yourself. You are a spoiled woman. When you make a post like you did, you should tell the entire story, not just the details that make you look good. You have talked to many parents about your issues, and so we all know who you are! Coming from Texas and not knowing very many people, I am surprised at your willingness to talk about someone behind their back. You had no idea who I am friends with, and yet you proceeded to tell me all about how horrible this woman was, so I played along and listened to see how far you would go with the story. I am appalled and disagree with almost everything you said! You are power hungry and want revenge because your daughters teacher won't bend the rules of her classroom for you, your husband, OR your daughter. Everyone is treated exactly the same, and you don't like that! I have seen her teacher there at 7:30am and she stays well after 6:00pm, does this sound like someone just wanting a "paycheck?" Kids thrive when they know where the boundaries are, both my kids thought she was a great teacher, and they appreciate her even more now that they are older. You are very bitter!!

Posted March 8, 2013

I applaud the previous poster AND this teacher for standing up to a parent that obviously needs to be put in her place. It sounds like this mom is living in a fairytale and thinks she is sending her daughter to fantasyland everyday! How does she discipline her "best friend" if she has never had to yell at her?!? I have several kids, and if you don't yell once in a while, you are not parenting!! Just sayin'!! Sounds like mom needs to homeschool since she is so superior over the people that have degrees and spent years teaching, or maybe it's just time to switch to a NEW day care!!

Posted February 28, 2013

Being a former PTA President and moving here from out of state, I've seen the good, bad and the ugly that goes on in the schools. Brookman is not a school that I feel deserves the rating it has earned. The Principal seems to care about the kids and their education. The front office is beyond RUDE and LAZY! Most of the teachers are there because they care about the kids and some are there for a paycheck. My daughters teacher is one of those! My daughter used to love going to school, she would get upset on weekends because she had no school. Now she HATES it and she is only in 2nd grade. She yells at my daughter and other kids in class. Now if I don't yell at my kids neither is her teacher. This is a woman who is suppose to be helping my daughter not hurting her self esteem. Now that I've confronted her she singles out my daughter. So all can do is keep confronting her about her behavior, which is totally out of line from someone who is teaching our children. As being part of PTA in other states I've come across a lot of teachers, and this lady is by far the least favorite I have come across. Be careful when your child is going into 2nd grade, you just might end up with her.

Posted May 21, 2012

best las vegas elementary school. My 3 children went to Brookman since its opened and they loved it. Great teachers, principal and staff. One child is a A honor roll student and one had learning problems and they have a great reading and after school program that had helped her.

Posted September 4, 2010

These other posts are really old so I thought I'd write something newer. I really like Brookman. I feel as though the faculty cares about the students as well as their families. I'm really liking the principle Mrs. Dunlevy. She is on the ball. She gets involved with the students and I'm sure that each one feels as though she knows them personally. She seems to be firm but fair. As for the office staff. I think they are very nice. I agree that they don't smile a lot but I've noticed they are just business minded and so I don't take it personally. The teachers are well rounded and are open to parental involvment which I love. As a parent I appreciate a school that recognizes the important relationship between family and education. It's great when there's balance. All in all, great school.

Posted May 6, 2008

This is my first year attending Eileen Brookman an so far i think its a great school. My only complaint is the front office they have a terrible attitude they never smile. There not friendly at all, the few times that i had to go into the office they made me feel as if i was bothering them. They should be warm and friendly, the atmoshere should be inviting to all students and parents. The Kindergaten teachers are great their very friendly and always have a smile on i give them an A+. Mrs. Dorsey is my daughters teacher and shes wonderful she works hard to keep her students high achieving, very warm and loving to all her students.

Posted October 6, 2007

So far I would have to say this school is average. My sons teacher is great and out going. Most of the PTA members are very warm, but I guess there's always one that spoils it and makes it hard to get involved. I have been told that the Principle does everything by the book, but is not good with dicipline. I have not had a chance to see if this is true, YET! I have also noticed the attitude in the front office aswell. I just smile at them all and say thank you alot. It catches them off guard and they are forced to be nice back.

Posted June 27, 2007

This school does not discipline everyone equally. They believe whatever certain kids say, and dicipline according to that. There is a lot of unrully kids. The principle cares about the students, however, she is not involved in the disciplinary process. She leaves that to the vice principle which is inconsistent. The front office staff is very stuffy. They favor those they like. They are not friendly.

Posted June 11, 2007

The principal here fondly cares for the students and seems professional. The teachers caring and creative. My daughter has gone here 3 years of schooling here and my biggest problem is the front office staff. My low rating is because of that.

Posted January 24, 2006

My overall experience with this school so far has been pretty good. The teacherd and some of the staff I have come in contact with have been very warm. However there's a certain sense of favoritism that I have witnessed amognst certain staff at the front desk. My first encounter I considered to be a coincidence, until it happened two more times. One of the other incidents didn't involve me, but I did witness the change in attitude of a staff member when she was dealing with myself and the other parent opposed to the third parent who'd came in after us. Once I realized it wasn't just me who noticed it I then saw what was really going on! I am not pleased with this sort of behavior coming from people who work in the school district. What examples are they setting for children? Treat people according to their looks?

Posted December 5, 2005

Brookman E.S. has two wonderful kindergarten teachers. They find fun creative ways to teach. Mrs. Root and Mrs. Keck work together so both classes are on the same page. Also, they encourage parent involvement. Our experience so far has been great!

Posted May 28, 2005

This is a great school. Due to special learning needs, my son has requested the opportunity to learn his core classes at home and attend art, PE and gifted classes at Brookman as permitted by the school district. The princpal has been especially helpful with this process, and the teachers are especailly kind.

Math

The state average for Math was 70% in 2013.

106 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

106 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Nevada used the Criterion Referenced Test (CRT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and in grades 5 and 8 in science. The CRT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Nevada. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 73% in 2013.

123 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 71% in 2013.

123 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 66% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 61% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 44% in 2011.

119 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students64%

Students with limited English proficiency25%
Proficient in English59%
Not migrant47%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Nevada Department of Education; if there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students70%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 47%N/A50%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

6225 East Washington Ave