Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

My younger sister has been attending this ridiculous school for 2 years. When she first entered this school she was happy, excited and ready to make new friends and have new experiences. Sadly, the only experiences shes had here, are terrible ones. First of all they make you feel like your putting your child/children in a great school, that has no tolerance for violence and bullying, however this couldn't be any farther from the truth. During her 7th grade year my sister began receiving very threatening letters and notes in her locker. She had her locker changed a multitude of times, but somehow the letters continued to find there way into her locker. So we decided to go down to the school to see if they could look at the camera footage, in hopes of catching the person responsible. They told us that they wouldn't look at the cameras, because it would be impossible to know what time it was happening, and that they weren't going to look at all the footage from that day. She received a letter a couple days later, telling her that they (whoever was authoring these horrible letters) were going to come to her home in the middle of the night. A conference was scheduled by us immediately. During this conference with Mrs. Hathy, she had the audacity to say "Let me explain what bullying is." This just goes to show how "important" bullying is to them. Nothing was done voluntarily by the staff, we had to eventually call the school board in order to get any information from them, and the have them take any kind of measures to try and stop the problem. They never resolved the problem. They treat both the students and parents like they're stupid if you try to get involved in any other way, than the way they want. If you actually care about the interests of you child or children, I would find a better place to educate them. They are the future of this world, why are they not being treated as such?

Develops character: Strongly agree

This is because the administration and the system fails to lead the students and family's honestly.

I'm someone whom moved to Vegas several months ago. I have to say Fertitta is a poorly run school. They push this whole idea of Fertitta 15 with the students but not a single teacher follows the program. They have a ridiculous dress code that causes mire issues for families than good. They also speak of common core but they are so far from reality its a joke.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

Love the English and Science Teacher. Do not like the Choir Teacher. Math teacher seems to be ok. Reading teacher not sure about him yet. Love the P.E teacher. I think my child is receiving an average education. I am hoping I am proven wrong. Too early to tell.

Amount of homework: no rating

Too early to tell. The school has given our kids an organizer and we are to look at it and figure out what the teachers have assigned. I wish the school would have a homework journal that document the scores as they go so parents can see if their kids are averaging A, B, or C so if homework given is not enough we would know by where they stand in the class in real time. I am learning the schools system. I will have to report back.

Develops character: Neutral

I feel the school is psychologically cruel to kids and parents are treated as an annoyance. I think kids are afraid of the warden type atmosphere so I am not sure how honest students are under these circumstances. Too early to tell having only just started with this school. I will update my review as time allows for me to observe the behavior. So far I am not having a good experience.

So far I hate this school. It is run like a prison. I tried to have an open mind about the reasons behind why they run the school the way they do for safety etc. My daughter in her first day of school cried. The admin with the exception of one person is horrible. I emailed the principle of a complaint I have and am waiting to hear back. I really hate this school with a passion. Oh how I wish my daughter could experience a non prison like school..just awful. I am hoping our experience gets better but based on the reviews doesn't seem likely.

Absolutely awful! my son went from getting A's, B's and C's, to D's and F's in a matter of weeks of starting at this school. My son is still in the process of learning English, but teachers have no understanding, sensitivity, or thoughtfulness with regards to this. Everything is on the student, no responsibility for the grades is taken by the teachers. We got a letter inviting my son to after-class math tuition. We sent my son on many occasions as Math is his weak area. He informed us that the "teacher" just told the students to do their homework. No tutoring was given. When I asked about this at a parent-teacher meeting, the "teacher" said it might be that there were too many students. My wife and I were also yelled at in that meeting and the counselor had to tell the teacher to stop. The "lady" who works in Registration scowls and snarls at people, treats the students like dirt, and should never be working with the public. My son doesn't like school anymore, and that's sad because he was so optimistic about moving to the US. He is a US citizen but was raised abroad. This school is a joke! Pity I can't give it a zero, or minus 15!

I would give this school a 0 if I could. My daughter has attended 2 years at this school both 6th and 7th grade. She went from being an honor gate student to a D-F student. The bullying is out of control. I moved to Summerlin to have my daughter attend a better school little to my dismay it has become the worst school she could have ever attended. The teachers are given key tools parent link and Edmodo only a few participate in it and are not on the same page with it. I found Edmodo to be the best tool its a shame only 2 teachers used it in the 2 years she went their. It should be mandatory all teachers to be on the same page. If I wanted to meet with a single teacher I had to have all teachers and a counselor present this makes you feel intimidated. Sports and activities were limited and based on favoritism. I am no longer allowing my daughter to go to this school she will be doing online school because of the poor quality teaching ethics as well as bullying.

This school has been outstanding. The teachers respond via Parentlink and set up meetings if you request them. Most parents who complain, don't get involved or look at school as a babysitter. If you hold your kids to standards (A is an A, B is a C, C is a F in our house), the teachers and administration will help you with the discipline. I have found them all to be fair and willing to help. Of course meetings are before and after school. Is it always convenient? No. As a parent it is my responsibility to take part in my kids education. Most of the problems I've seen are from kids who's parents stand up for their child's bad behavior. This school has gone from a 3 star to a 5 star school and I'm happy to say that it's due to the accountability with the kids and the parents. Fact is if you care about your kids education and it is a priority, you will love Fertitta! If you value your personal time and don't like making a commitment to your child's education, you will probably not like the accountability and say that things are "unfair". As I was taught growing up, "Life is not obligated to be fair, but opportunity is." There are plenty of opportunities at Fertitta!

Last modified Victoria Fertitta Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.