K O Knudson Junior High School

Public | 6-8 | 1259 students

Posted April 7, 2014

I will be going to K.O. Knudson Middle school this fall and I am so excited. I went to their open house and it was way more that I expected. I would like to learn more about!

Posted December 7, 2013

I am currently a student at KO and I must say I'm not impressed. This school is supposed to be creative arts and there's supposed to be opportunities, but when I enrolled I assumed that there would be more up-to-date technology like my elementary magnet school. One other thing is the disorganization, your always wondering what's going on. For example: basketball my friends and I wanted to try out, so we asked the office, they said ask to coach during lunch, so we tried but were not allowed to go in the hallways during lunch. So I went to the website, they had tryout dates from last year! And one last thing, the staff can be cruel. Currently I am going through tons of conversations with me teacher, and why she's saying I got an F on a test that I got an A on. After you get over all the negative parts, KO can be pretty awesome.

Posted August 24, 2013

this school is so cool.......i love it so much<3 <3 <3 :) i hope it wins 5,000 dollars!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted August 15, 2013

My School is amazing they always do their best to help students achieve their goals! My teachers always helped me when i was stuck and they gave me the strength and courage to carry on, helped me, and encouraged me to reach my goals! This is a great school they enforce dress code and all school rules, all the staff are very encouraging and have a great sense of humor even people in the Main Office. Our school needs improving on the actual building. K.O. Knudson M.S. celebrated the 50th Anniversary in the year 2012. Our school is run down and i hope that if we win this 5k we can remodel the school even slightly! This is a wonderful school as we know it and it would be an Opportunity of a life time to enhance the schools' awesomeness! In the school year of 2012-2013 as a 6th grader i had the best time at school that I have ever had LEARNING!! Sure, at times it was a little rough but my friends and all the wonderful Staff got me through it with a smile... At this school everyone has one thing in common with YOU. Performing Arts!! I hope anyone that goes to this school has fun learning and participating in the school activities, field trips, and much more! K.O. is full of DREAMS

Posted July 7, 2013

I am about to become a student at K.O. Knudson and I'm really excited to become one of the cougars! I am a magnet student! My passion is for performing arts and I knew that magnet school would be perfect with performing arts when my guidance counselor talked about it in my 5th grade class at Patricia A. Bendorf Elementary School(I recommend it because it's a 2011 Blue Ribbon School and it is a 5 Star Rated School). I hope that K.O. will be an amazing experience!

Posted July 1, 2013

The band program is great however, my A+ student went to a straight F student due to bullying. He was just to "white" to attend the school. He was picked on too many times. I ended with withdrawing him. It was a teachers child that was doing the bullying of him and several other students.

Posted March 13, 2010

I think this school is awsome they have great programs and much more

Posted August 14, 2009

It is sooooo unorganised... they expect us to be organised when they are not organised what great romaoddles > :(

Posted March 26, 2009

Glad my son is a student of KO. He is very happy and would not want to change to any other school.

Posted March 21, 2009

I go to ko right now it is the best school ever! I love it to peices eeveryone is nice and accepting no matter who you are. The classes are challenging but fun and the teachers are great! I <3 it there send your kids or family members not kidding.

Posted January 25, 2009

I really like this school because of all the electives you have to chose from. I go here as magnet student and my electives are Computer Graphic Design and Art History. It is also very fun for the standard subjects.

Posted January 4, 2009

The school once had a great reputation, but has gone downhill (as have all the magnet programs) due to a combination of administrative laziness and budget cuts. It is getting harder for magnet kids to get into their program of choice, the zoned kids are worse than ever and the administration is more about appeasement than actually helping anyone. The school is merely adequate but not worth the long bus ride my child endured so I pulled her out.

Posted January 2, 2009

i go to KO right now and it is an amazing school everybody is so nice and i love the choir and drama programs if you are looking at going to a magnet school think of ko this is my first year and we do so many fun actibvidys like tapeing the deans to a wall or msking an administraiter into a human sunday now that was fun this has to be the best school in the world

Posted August 16, 2008

The staff and teachers are very well with communicating with the students! My child's CRT scores went from a 300 all the way to 400 and above!

Posted August 16, 2008

The work here done at K.O. is outstanding! There is many prgrams and clubs for students to get into. They even have a talent search this year!

Posted June 21, 2008

the choir program here is great, along with all the others. we have great and creative teachers that challenge us to our fullest, we learn alot more than i thought we would, and we get to do alot more hands on activities. the students here are great and really friendly we are all like a big and huge family. i love every single cougar here. we also have a great cheer squad, boys and girls basketball teams, and other great after school clubs. its really pays to be involved with the school so if you or yours kids are thinking about k.o. its a wonderful school and i highly recomend it!

Posted March 10, 2008

This school was the worst school experience. The teachers and staff where amazing i loved them, but the students where awful! other then the students i loved the school.

Posted September 11, 2006

I personally wouldn't be as prepared as I was for highschool if I hadn't attended K.O. Knudson. I know it may only be middle school but I learned so much and the administration and faculty was always supportive of our work in acedemics and in orchestra. Today I am a graduate of Las Vegas Academy and I can honestly say that without K.O. as a stepping stone to higher learning I wouldn't be on the road to becoming a well organized professional violinist. The dedication to helping students excell shown through the administration and faculty shows commitment beyond what you'd expect out of a school. K.O. is an excellent learning environment complete with everything a growing young mind needs.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted August 9, 2005

K.O. Knudson has been an excellent experience for my child. He attended the 6th and 7th grades there and will return for the 8th grade during the 2005-2006 year. Ms. Tegano, the principal, as well as her key personnel have been visionaries with regards to having state-of-the art computer learning programs available to all students. I disagree with the previous negative comment regarding combining the zoned and the magnet students. The purpose of the magnet schools is to provide outstanding programs of study in the inner city schools. Curriculum that is so outstanding that the over-achievers from outside the zoned areas are (magnetically) 'attracted' to these schools and want to attend them despite the added commute time and the extended school day. The music and arts programs, as well as the multi-ethnic school community, add a rich cultural aspect to the school. The teachers here are committed to excellence.

Posted January 20, 2005

Knowing Nevada Education is at the bottom nationally, K.O. Knudson has given the chance for my kid to learn music and feel proud about her school. I am concerned, though, generally with the quality of English proficiency of all students. The magnet program is solid. I don't know the context to have zoned and magnet students together. I don't oppose to that. I am more concerned about the qualification of teachers and size of each class. I am surprised that for a magnet school the classes are still somewhat large. The music program is just beautiful. In weeks students are showing some basic skills. The school also is a multicultural experience for the kids in a global economy. I hope this school defies the norm for NV: Mediocre education with pathetic results. Probably Mississipi and Alabama are in better shape! Saul Yaz

Math

The state average for Math was 49% in 2013.

425 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 63% in 2013.

425 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Nevada used the Criterion Referenced Test (CRT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and in grades 5 and 8 in science. The CRT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Nevada. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2013.

415 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 62% in 2013.

415 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 50% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 60% in 2011.

455 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students58%

Students with limited English proficiency14%
Proficient in English76%
Not migrant67%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Nevada Department of Education; if there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students59%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 76%N/A54%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

Staff resources available to students
  • Assistant principal(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options

• Bell / Handbell choir
Performing arts
  • Dance
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2400 Atlantic St