Public charter
Las Vegas, NV
After care: No

Posted July 22, 2015
I have found EKA to be a remarkable public charter school for many reasons! EKA is a project-based school where students learn through their own individual self-directed research. Each student has his/her own iPad at school, which adds to the students’ abilities to research on-line resources as well as to utilize traditional methods, i.e., books, etc. All of the above, to say --- I have witnessed the growth of students throughout multiple projects, each project requiring research and a presentation to be given at the end of the project. Project presentations are given to peers, their advisor, and parents in attendance. Not only do the students learn more and more about research, but they also become familiar and more comfortable with public speaking. At some grade levels, there are also group projects. This entails still another whole, wonderful dynamic. It is so amazing to see the growth and transformation of many students. Many of the students have shared that they feel proud of their work performed and indeed of their success! This, as a teacher, as a mother, and as a person who loves to see students excel in their education and in their pride of themselves, is a very rewarding experience! In addition to the curriculum, the teaching programs, and the technology afforded to the students, I have found communication among the staff, administration, and the teachers to be remarkable and rewarding! When the main focus of a school and its employees is directed towards students and their successes, both academically and emotionally, the end result naturally leads towards a positive end. Communication includes ongoing review, discussion, and change if and when needed. I have found this to be an ongoing, positive quality with the staff, administration, and teachers at EKA. Ongoing communication with parents is also a MUST and takes place in numerous forms such as through emails, phone contact, parent/teacher conferences and newsletters, to name a few. The school website as well as Facebook are additional means of communication. I am happy to be a part of Explore Knowledge Academy and its mission to “Provide Personalized Learning through Educational Discovery, Creating LEADERS/One Project at a Time.” Jackie W, a teacher

Posted July 14, 2015
I, Calvert Webster, have been a teacher at Explore Knowledge Academy for 10 years. I love this school. I am going to tell you why you will love it, too. The list of reasons are plentiful, and they include the following: smaller class sizes, personal attention from your teachers, tough love, creative opportunities, challenges, successes, a safe environment but nowhere to hide, and a place where you can choose to be a part of our family.

Posted July 10, 2015
I was always concerned before that my children were not being challenged in school. Explore Knowledge Academy is exactly what my children needed to thrive. I am so thankful to the teachers and administration for offering such a great and safe place for my children to learn.

Explore Knowledge Academy
Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted July 09, 2015
The teachers at EKA work hard to make sure each student finds academic success. They have pushed my kids to see their own potential and they have impressed me.

Posted April 17, 2015
Both of my children attend the school. We commute from Summerlin and I have yet to find a reason not to. After navigating the private, public, and homeschool options in education here in Las Vegas we finally found the perfect fit for our family. I feel as though my children are getting an excellent education comparable to that at a private school. I have found the teachers and the administration to be accommodating. I love that the school offers iPads for every student, small class sizes, healthy lunch options and having an advisory class every day is a great mentorship program for both the older and younger children. Having a four day school week works well for my family. My children use Mondays to catch up on any school work, work on projects, read, volunteer-and hopefully in high school be able to work part time. I think this is an excellent college preparatory school.

Posted March 12, 2015
Both of my daughters attend EKA and they love their school. It is a lot of work at first but they have gotten used to it and have grown to love it. One of my daughters plays basketball and the other is in the dance after school program. I highly recommend this school.

Explore Knowledge Academy 1

Posted December 30, 2014
My daughter required accommodations for various learning issues and I was given the run around for almost 2 years. I love the idea of this school but if you fail to fit the cookie-cutter mold good luck to you. My girl was traumatized by teachers refusing to follow the "verbal accommodations" that were supposed to have been put in place. (Yes I have official diagnosis & needs from various therapists & doctors. I also know I could have sued but, seriously how would that have bounced back on my girl?)

Posted September 30, 2014
This is my daughters 5th year attending this school. It has been wonderful for her! It is so much better than the regular public school my daughter attended!!! Overall, the teachers have always been excellent at responding to our emails, voice messages and concerns promptly. In all the years at the school, I have a only had a serious communication issue with one teacher and when discussed with the principal it was handled promptly. The projects can at times be a lot of work but it is worth it. We have learned that it is all about using the time wisely and having her start on her project right away and work on it weekly so it is not a rush just before it is due. We have seen our daughter grow so much through the experience and she is much more confident when speaking in front of people! We also love that every weekend is a 3 day weekend! She loves her school and so do we!

Explore Knowledge Academy 1

Posted March 17, 2014
As a high schooler, I hated this school. Inappropriate topics were debated, and I could never find myself comfortable there. Also it seemed as if the teachers did not take their jobs seriously. In math all the kids were failing and the homework was worth about half the grade anyway.

Posted January 30, 2014
I have been going to this school for seven years. I have always loved this school. The teachers are great. The only problem that I have ever had was was when I was in third grade. This was when the school just started out. Ever since then the school has improved. The ipads that I use on a day to day basis actually have helped me broaden the way that I learn. I am also very pleased with the teachers that are there. I am able to have a very closr relationship with them because it is such a small school.

Explore Knowledge Academy
5871 Mountain Vista Street, Las Vegas, NV  89120
Last modified Explore Knowledge Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Explore Knowledge Academy Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 70 reviews. Top