Las Vegas, NV

New Horizons Academy 4

Posted April 27, 2015
UPPER SCHOOL REVIEW (7th-12th grade) - My school is definitely above average, but not excellent. But very, very close. I got here in 7th grade and everyone treated me very nicely. I've made a lot of friends. Unfortunately, I've also encountered some of the most rudest disrespectful kids. But the teachers immediately deal with it when kids are rude, which I love. Some particular students are incredibly immature for their age, but that's normal at our school. The teachers get right on it, and follow the rules. All I can say is, be extra careful who you make friends with. Again, the only downside to this school is a lot of the kids (because of their disabilities) are incredibly rude and don't think before they speak. But it's only just a small group of students. On the other hand, I definitely recommend it if your kid has a disability and can't find good education anywhere else. Your kid will definitely have a great school year and make a lot of friends.

Posted April 13, 2015
New Horizons has been a great experience for my family. Our son has attended this school for more then 10 years and I can say enough about the caring staff and teachers. The tuition is tough to manage, but in the long run it has been the best investment that we have ever made. I would recommend New Horizons to anyone that is looking for a school that caters to kids with learning difficulties.

New Horizons Academy 1

Posted April 09, 2015
Do not send your kid here! This is a very bad school I do not suggest it!

New Horizons Academy 4

Posted November 11, 2014
So, I'm a student here. And honestly, I can say this school is pretty good. Pretty much most of the teachers care about you, and most of the students. I've made so many friends here. I've also made enemies. I understand this school is for people with learning disabilities (I have one myself) but 50% of the students are really mean. The other 50% are extremely nice and care about you. People will try to put you down, and others will put you up. Stick with the nice people. There is this one group that is really mean, and I just ignore them. Ignoring is best. Overall I really like this school, even if some of the teachers/staff members don't like me. I'm a freshman, going to graduate here and glad I am. The only negative thing I have to say about this school is the fact that 50% of the students are rude and try to put you down. They will call you names and insults. I've cried here, probably over a thousand times. It's not just because I'm sensitive, but it's because words hurt. Other than that, the teachers and some students are really nice and they care about you, and they love you. Plus, there is no homework which I like. The work is fantastic.

Posted March 12, 2014
This school is incredible. My son gets exactly what he needs. He is great at social studies, and is given a 12th grade curriculum, above average in science - where they offer him a 10th grade curriculum, at level in mat.... The teachers don't tolerate bullying and they have a system for misbehavior so it does not interrupt the class. The teachers are terrific and educating my child has been a team effort. He came to them with low self esteem, and now he is soaring high and though they don't want to lose him, he is now ready to go back into public schools.

Posted February 11, 2014
New Horizons has has offered the option to public schools. The tuition is no more costly than several other private schools. I drive across town twice a day knowing that my child is safe and has friends, unlike public school where even some if the teachers and a very specific principal were not kind or knowledgeable with autism no matter what range on the scale it was. The school keeps us informed through emails on what is happening in the school now and in the future. I have also found the staff to be caring and embrace us with smiles, waves and acknowledgement. The emotional well bring of my child is # 1 and then the rest falls into place

New Horizons Academy 2

Posted February 04, 2014
While the school advertises specializing in student with learning disabilities , it employees an educational system that is one size fits all , in appropriate for a school that states they teach all learning styles. Current leadership is lacking in positive direction and teachers lack management skills for students with ADHD, ADD and a bunch of other learning differences. Also, very costly for the quality of education the teachers and administration provide. Finally, they do not promote parent involvement, rather, they are no better than the public system in not wanting parent involved.

Posted April 20, 2012
This school is for children with learning differences. If a child is taught at a lower level than public school it is because they make sure that your child masters a skill before move him to the next level. After almost 3 years I have to say that my child is learning without the stress he had at the public school (and he attended a great school). He is making steady progress and enjoys school. The teachers work on his weaknesses and strenghts to make sure his foundation is strong enough before moving to the a new subject. Great school, small classes, individualized curriculum, great personnel.

Posted July 22, 2011
I agree with the previous poster that children at New Horizons may not be learning at grade level. My son attends New Horizons because he is not at grade level in many areas. It is not the fault of the school, as my son has a learning disability. He works at grade level in other areas where he is capable. He is improving steadily and feels competent as he goes. The classes are small and he gets lots of one on one direction and he leaves each day feeling like he is accepted and successful. Other schools were very stressful for him and New Horizons has taken the stress away so my son can actually learn.

New Horizons Academy 1

Posted February 13, 2011
Don't waste your money. This school is not your only option. It may feel that way....but when you can't find a door make a window! The idea of individualized learning is fantastic, EXCEPT this school fails to deliver. Please know that you will be signing a financial contract, that locks you in for 15,000.00 and when you discover that your child is being taught below the public school level, then what?..You are trapped. I recommend....ANYTHING else. The programs below first grade are AWESOME! Don't go beyond Kindergarten. When you are shopping for a school please do your homework and find out what your child should be learning during that year of academic study for their grade level. Do not depend on the school you are speaking with to tell you.
3 people found this helpful