PK-8|Private
10,000 students

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

My kids love coming here. They spend their day actually learning. The teachers do really fun things with the kids. Everyone is helpful and courteous. They really care about the kids here.

Supports LD students: Strongly agree

I don't know how they approach other kids. I just know that my kids have just had to work harder at the things they've struggled with because everyone still has to perform to the standard. We really had to work with my son on focus and taking notes, but once they get it, they are better off for it. This school isn't shy about telling kids they have to push themselves.

Effective school leaders: Strongly agree

I know some parents complain that there is no parent organization here and the administration isn't flexible with the rules for anyone, but that is part of why I love this school. My stepdaughter used to go to another school where some people would get special treatment and the rules didn't apply to everyone. That was a nightmare, don't think the kids and teachers didn't know who could get away with things either! At least here I know the rules are fair even if they are strict.

Develops character: Strongly agree

No one teaches kids respect anymore like they do at this school. This school has high standards for behavior. The teachers make sure the kids are nice to each other but not by encouraging obedience but by teaching them the whys of their choices. The rules are the same for everyone, no matter who you are.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Every year we've gotten great teachers. Even last year when her teacher quit, she immediately got another great teacher, not like at some schools where the kids get stuck with a permanent sub and don't learn anything that year. We've been really happy with all the staff at this school.

Amount of homework: Agree

Just the right amount. Kids should review what they learned each day, not spend their whole life doing homework. Homework time is part of the aftercare. My kids homework is always done by the time I pick them up so they have plenty of time for sports and other things. At the same time, it is challenging. The grammar is so advanced we can't even help them with it.

All the staff are friendly and great. Great student to teacher ratio.

Handles bullying effectively: Agree

The kids are mature and well behaved. If not, students are asked to leave and get tuition back for the rest of the year. Students are way more mature and self reliant and nice. I don't think there is a lot of bullying at the school. Kids are too busy with academics.

We moved to Challenger School in 2nd grade after an underwhelming start elsewhere. The curriculum is strong and expectations are very high. The school teaches to the top and expects grades of 80% and above. There are no accommodations for children with gaps or learning disabilities so it can be unforgiving to some. Challenger offers summer school and that is a good opportunity to catch up or try out the school. The environment is no frills. There are no snacks or birthday cake hoopla and a few celebrations a year (like for 1 hour, not whole day festivals). The school gives merit scholarships to their best and brightest. All the kids cheer for the winners of the science fairs, spelling bees and merit scholarships and are clamoring to sign up for science olympiads. Academics are celebrated here. Challenger kids score very high in Iowa testing, way above average. For math, school teaches Saxon one grade ahead, supplemented with math games, timed math challenges, mental math. Reading/literature has strong focus on the classics. No "Captain Underpants" here. Students learn cursive in second grade and are expected to take full notes in class (in cursive) and study for tests from those notes. If your child didn't take good notes it is impossible to study so students really have no choice but to stay on program. There is a strong focus on self reliance. Grammar is highly advanced and sentence diagramming begins in early elementary school years. Book reports start in first or second grade involving a full analysis (analyze setting, theme, plot, characters, conclusion, discuss rising action, falling action etc). For science fair, student reports must follow scientific method (hypothesis, collect/log/interpret data, draw conclusions) and again these reports/presentations start in early elementary years. Challenger teaches computer coding (not click and drag cartoons, but actual writing code) and helpful skills such as learning blind typing. There is a bit of a Libertarian flair to school teachings (touting benefits of small government etc) which seems unnecessary but academics make up for it. Challenger has solid before and after care. Challenger has a diverse student body. Students that start Challenger early, that are naturally bright or highly committed to strong academics do best at Challenger.

I have had 2 daughters attend this school For preschool. have referred many friend to the school because of the academics and the educational outcome my children have received. The curriculum is what has kept us there. That being said, administration is absolutely ridiculous to work with. They do not listen , they are not concerned with any particular situation, and are just downright lazy. My older daughter now attends a different school that goes the extra mile for all of the children that attend that school, and now that I have seen that, I realize how lazy and closed minded challenger school is. I have recently referred a friend there so that our children could attend preschool together, and we were told that the computer generates the classes and they do not make any changes. Ummmm.... Really? You're telling me that you can't put the friend I referred to you in the same class as my daughter because you're too lazy to actually look at the list and make changes that would be in the child's best interest. Not to mention your future revenues best interest. They were absolutely unwilling to hear a word that we said and our children remain in separate classes. I asked for a copy of the business license for work reimbursement, and they replied that they don't give that out. Other childcare facilities we have attended previously happily gave us a copy and moved on. I went on campus, saw a copy of the license on the wall, and took a picture. Not sure why the answer from them had to be so shut down. It feels very stuffy in the office. Very stiff. I've had many friends that have worked there and they say they would never send their child to this campus.

Last modified Challenger School - Summerlin is a Private school that serves grades PK-8