Del Sol High School

Public | 9-12 & ungraded | 28 students

Posted September 7, 2014

Del Sol was my only choice when I moved from California. I'm new here in Las Vegas, I disagree with all these negative comments about Del Sol. Now, we have a new principal that cares a lot about our education. It's strict; however, for a good reason. The school is rate 2 stars? Possibly when they had the old teacher. What I dislike about Del Sol is they only give 6 classes, and some like Valley High School has 7 periods. Some of the classes are big, the teachers can't handle them. They should have a strict teachers when the students aren't behaving well. Flash cards should be use, Some students don't even participate. According to my research, del sol takes bullying seriously but people would make fun of me when I raised my hand and just to answer the question. I had to change all my classes to honors because they're more respectful and takes it seriously. I can see what del sol lacks in and what they are good at. They can't only focus on students behavior outside of class, they should focus inside the class too. Like teachers need to be organized. Del sol football team is pretty good, amazing student council team. Very very very, spirited.

Posted August 30, 2013

Del sol high school is great people who say it's not r probable people who go once a monte to school. We may not have the best graduation rate but its not the teacher or staff members fault is the irresponsible parents that don't give a shrimp about their kids education because I've been attending del sol for the last 2 years and I am graduating next year. I have no complains about anything del sol high schools helps you with anything u need they help you get school supplies if u can't afford it thy can even help you with cloth and anything u need. I am an honors/advanced placed girl and I am satisfied with how my school has treated me if kids in that schools ever become failures is be auss they're trying really hard. Teachers get involved with you because everybody in schoo, is trying to help us to graduate. That school is amazing my high school experience there has been great and if I had to choose again I would choose del sol 1000 times more.

Posted March 23, 2013

I do believe this school has potential in changing your childs future. At first it struggled here and there, but with the new principle, she gave students a boost to learn and find out that there is hope to graduating in the near future. This is an anti bullying school, fights are rare, and students make you feel welcome. It doesn't matter what race you are, as long as you are willing to learn. Students are students they act the way teenagers are supposed to act. I do believe the drop out rate is decreasing, and this school had mild potential.

Posted April 11, 2012

Ok, im very sick of seeing people speak badly about Del Sol. All of the problems with Del Sol are family related. As in, some student's own familes do not care about their child's education. I'm a sophmore at Del Sol and I can tell you it's not "ghetto", it just has a high Hispanic and African American ethnicity; which for some reason gives it a bad reputation. So if your smart, then your not going to become stupid by coming here. I can tell you that I personally like Del Sol because it has so little drama, if you mind your business then you'll have no problems. So if you want your child to go to some stuck up high school where he/she will be most likely judged and picked on because he/she doesnt act a certain way, by all means dont send them here. As for me, I wouldnt go to any other school.

Posted October 10, 2011

As a sophmore at this school I can say that this is one of the worst high schools in Las Vegas. It has the highest drop out rate in clark county, do you think it would be good for your kids to go there? The entire staff is more worried about dress code and tardies then they are about academic acceleration. Most of the teachers there are rude and they could care less if you pass or fail, but there are a few good ones. There are lots of fights and the only thing students at this school care about is the opposite sex. The honors program is okay, but the teachers lack compassion and caring for anything you do. The school is failing at test scores and attendence and if things don't change at the school this year, then it will be shut down. How's that for a convenient experience?

Posted August 20, 2011

As for the freshmen who is tipping out because noone seemed to notice him after the first day you were there, that's normal. It happens in every school. I have gone to many schools, I move a lot, and that always happens. This was probably his first time moving to a new school because most of the people there are friendly.

Posted January 19, 2011

I'm attending this school now and i have to say that this is just terrible. Most of the students are broken down into stereotypes, and care more about their stereotypes (who fits in and who doesn't) than their classes. The classes are PACKED with people. The school claims to be "diverse" even though most of the population is Hispanic. The first day i came to this school (as a freshman which i still am) everyone was so happy: "OMG WE HAVE A NEW STUDENT" and the next day everyone forgot I existed anymore. The classes are stupid easy for me cause I came from Jersey and the schools there are somewhat difficult, but I got Straight-A's, and now I'm here taking Honors Classes... I would never recommend this school to a parent with a child that might have real potential. End Of Story.

Posted March 3, 2010

Before Del Sol HS was built in 2004, I was zoned for Chapparal HS. I didn't want to attend Chapparal, so Del Sol was kind of a Godsend. Although Del Sol has a high population of Hispanic students, that didn't seem to make much of a difference for the environement. Students, no matter what race, took all different of levels of classes. The teachers in all the departments except for math are top notch. The principal is very good at what she does. Athletics at Del Sol are also very good, our football team being our main pride and joy. At Del Sol I was able to participate in sports and activities that I don't think I could have participated in at any other school. Del Sol High School has the most genuine students, teachers, and staff/administration that you could possibly find in the Clark County School District.

Posted February 6, 2010

I went to this school last year. I hated the school so much, that I missed pretty much all of school. There is good things about the school, like how the students mix well. It helped me a lot with my social skills. But learning was a whole different thing. My math class changed thru 4 teachers. The teacher could not control some of their students. Some of the staff was rude. To me, the academic was not very good. The classes were boring and not motivating enough. Its a ridiculous school. Fights and the teachers would WALK slowly to go stop it. The lockers were crappy. Just terrible.

Posted July 22, 2009

We have a sophomore and an incoming freshman who is already having a great time with the cross-country team this summer - the coach is friendly, knowledgeable, and funny. There is a welcoming, non-clique culture at Del Sol that I really appreciate as a parent. The leadership opportunities there are more like the real world than at some of our community's less diverse schools. Our experience so far with honors classes and being 'college bound' has been very good. We are just getting started on AP so we'll see how that goes. The principal is at everything - athletic events, open house, etc. She has a parent meeting every month, one in the daytime and one in the evening. She is accessible and responsive. Our son has had great coaches in all three sports and great teachers so far. Del Sol is an excellent place to prepare for real-world success.

Posted July 10, 2009

Del Sol High School is the best school that you can send your child to. My kid is a honor student with a GPA of 4.0. And my kid couldn't achieve it without the help of the teachers and staff. Also, teachers and staff are very nice everyone is treated the same. If you want to send your student that meets the standards of college enrichment send them to Del Sol were everyone is treated the same. They don't judge anyone.

Posted May 24, 2009

its a great school that provides good college enrichment!

Posted December 23, 2008

Wow, waht can I say about this school. The enriching environment the helpful staff, especially the counselors are everything a school should have. I always thought the school a great place and am unwilling to think otherwise. With four AP courses on my hand there has never been a moment that the teachers didn't seem to care. The make certain that any struggle I may be going through is looked at and provided for. I believe the only reason don't succeed is because they really don't care, and because of the rigorous academia. You have to work hard to succeed, and just because the courses are difficult and you are not able to succeed doesn't make the school bad. All it means is that you as a person should try harder. Del Sol High School is a second home; where I can learn, and have fun and

Posted November 30, 2008

Del Sol is amazing! i'm a 3.5 GPA student and a football player at this school and the athletics/education is great. :) Dragons!!!

Posted October 8, 2008

They will not accept me for another chance as a 5th year student because of my absences last year! Besides attendance my behavior was good! I never gave the office any trouble! i passed my proficiencies! I just asked for a chance and they turned me down twice! I find that unfair... Although i admit the school is a great school... Del Sol has taught me a lot that i know today and I used to hate school but it's because of Del Sol' why I want to go back and why i want to keep learning...

Posted June 21, 2008

Well I belive that this parents on this page are wrong in so many ways, its not about your race ..... its a nice school, everyone is outgoing, mex balcks, whit, ect.... all get along...... I belive that both parents sould have been involed with thier kids school... I love this school Del Sol High is the best!!!!!!

Posted June 6, 2008

del sol is the worst school ever it you really want your child to get a good education then dont let them go to this school the teachers are really bad and the onlt students who get treated right are the mexicans if your not mexican theres no point in going here because thats all there is there. even the name is mexican del sol means the sun in spainsh i sent my kid here for two years and he failed both years he is now attending basic high school and is doing alot better the staff at this school doesnt care about the students is a really terrible school

Posted March 27, 2008

Del Sol is a terrible school. Unless you are Mexican, you are terribly outnumbered and will not be receiving a good education, since the teachers are forced to give extra attention to non English speaking students. Our principal is a great guy, but is difficult to communicate with, since he always seems very busy. Our teachers are not very great at all. Parents are not involved at all, and we have a lot of drug problems and fights. Although our extracurricular activites and sports teams are amazing, the education we receive is minimal. Therefore, I will not be attending Del Sol next year.

Posted February 14, 2008

is the best school ever

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 76% in 2013.

409 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2013.

409 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2013.

407 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2013.

399 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Nevada used the High School Proficiency Examination (HSPE) to assess high school students in reading, writing, math and science. The HSPE is a high school graduation requirement. The HSPE is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Nevada. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Source: Nevada Department of Education

Students with limited English proficiency22%
Proficient in English76%
Not migrant68%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Nevada Department of Education; if there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Nevada Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 5% 6%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 75%N/A54%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

3100 East Patrick Ln