Las Vegas, NV

Posted August 13, 2014
Before the end of last school year I would have rated Hummel five stars. Mr. Darrington, the principal since Hummel opened, left and the new principal seemed too preoccupied with "something" to be visible or friendly. The teacher morale seemed to drop. Mr. Darrington was visible, greeting students at the door every morning and saying good bye at the door every afternoon. He was also in the lunchroom, interacting with students, every day. My kids miss him and don't understand why he is no longer there. Many teachers have chosen to leave. It makes me sad that a school that had such a personal touch has turned into an impersonal, sad place. Sending my children to school where I knew they were loved and cared for by both administration and staff made a big difference. It will be interesting to see what happens during the 2014-2015 school year. Fingers crossed. My children have always looked forward to going back to school. Not this year.

Posted April 23, 2014
I LOVE THIS SCHOOL FOR MY KIDS , THE TEACHERS THAT THEY'VE HAD ARE EXCELLENT AND VERY CARING AND THEY COMMUNICATE EVERYTHING WITH ME, AS A PARENT WE ALSO HAVE TO BE INVOLVED WITH OUR KIDS LEARNING DON'T LEAVE IT ALL UP TO THE TEACHERS.

John R Hummel Elementary School 3

Posted April 17, 2014
What a difference a good principal makes!! I see a lot improvement in the school. My daughter's teacher is great and the school seems to be managed much better. The office staff is still mean and uncaring but much much improvement has been made. There is still the cliche of parent/teachers but overall I like the progress I see.

Posted March 12, 2014
I constantly have trouble with most of the teachers, they never listen to parents concerns nor communicate. They set-up parents as well as children. In addition, the teachers have no control over their students. The curriculum is very poorly and do not teach children the difference between bully or abuse. The students are very gossipi and the teachers begin to accuse certain children.

Posted October 30, 2013
Do whatever you can to stay away from this school. The teachers don't care, the Principal has no idea that her teachers are incompetent. I would have put my child in a different school if it wasn't his last year at Hummel.

Posted August 01, 2013
This is my sons last year of elementary school at John R Hummel I have faith that this is the best choice of school for him because it was the best choice of school for my daughter who is now in middle school excelling academically. SHe is in the Junior Honors Society and doing well in all of her classes so far and that is because she got a really good headstart at John R Hummel. This school has a great curriculum which gives the students the ability to learn well and excel in everything they do in school, at home and in their social surroundings. They incorporate a safe and healthy environment for their students to come to and learn. Their events are so well organized and makes it a memorable for every students that come and go. I highly recommend John R Hummel for every parent to enroll their students to.

Posted March 30, 2012
II left Hummel as an honors student with straight A's and now so do my sisters they are now honor students as well

Posted March 17, 2010
My experience with Hummel has been nothing but positive. The principal is friendly, approachable and fair. I like the teachers too. I'm not crazy about the year-round calendar but that's not the school's fault. Overall, I think Hummel is an excellent school.

Posted June 09, 2009
I am very impressed with Hummel. The prinicpal is very visible, greeting all students every morning when they enter the building and outside every day at dismissal time. The teachers are very professional. Student discipline is fair and equitable. I'm not sure what school those other people are talking about, but it's not the Hummel that I know. Great school!

John R Hummel Elementary School 0

Posted April 28, 2009
I have two kids who go to this school. Overall its an ok school. I don't like that they do not give my kids homework, and they call you at work for any little distrurbance. It gets very annoying, and noticed once your kid gets in trouble they are pinpointed from the bunch even when they are on the A/B Honor Roll. I don't like the teaching staff.

John R Hummel Elementary School
9800 Placid St, Las Vegas, NV  89183
Last modified John R Hummel Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
John R Hummel Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top