Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Don't know (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Grateful to: Teacher

Posted December 10, 2015
Ms. Patti!!!! Mrs. McGowan!!!! They are both dedicated to their students. They go out of their way to make sure the children get the best learning experience possible.

Posted October 05, 2015
My child went to Theriot last school year in Ms Sinkovec and Ms McDonalds PM preK class through child find. They were beyond amazing teachers and we miss them a lot this year. Ms Amy is my childs ST and has been wonderful both years. My child grew so much in the 6 months there, which I feel was from being with my child's awesome teacher and peers. Shout out to the students, there were all really awesome kids here. This year we have had set backs (currently 2 months in at a new school) and makes me miss what we had experienced there. The communication from teachers is amazing and you can tell they really care and don't mind to spend a few seconds of their day to talk to you when needed. Office staff was also always very nice and helpful. Also, parking and drop off/pick up traffic is much easier at this school than our new experience.

Posted May 20, 2015
My son has been attending this school and I have to say that I am very surprised at the bad ratings it has received. However, my son is also in the Special Kindergarten Program there and not the normal classroom as most of the reviews appear to be addressing. The Special K program there is outstanding, the teachers, aids, and therapists genuinely care and have taken such good care of my special needs son. Ms. Oard, Ms. Brown are fantastic and do more than most teachers should have to in order to ensure my son is comfortable and happy. It is a shame that he will have to attend a new school come the 2015-2016 new year begins.

Joseph E Thiriot Elementary School 2

Posted March 23, 2015
The school is okay but the office staff especially KAREN LEVIN has a very poor etiquette!!! She's rude, snob, and not helpful at all... As an office clerk, obviously she does not have the qualities... No customer service and people skills. Hey karen, if you hate your job, just quit!!! The school does not need you! Your like a pest that makes the school rate down!

Posted November 02, 2013
Please be informed before you make comments about an IEP. It takes time to get your child an IEP and they don't get one because you want them to get one. I am pretty sure a child would never be suspended for walking out of line. I have been teaching for 7 years and have yet to see that happen. Please parents take accountability for your children's behavior and quit making excuses. This school has no extra curricular activities because they have NO PARENT volunteers or support. Class size has nothing to do with the school it has to do with the school district and the people who run it. Do you really think the teachers want large class sizes and they do it to make the parents mad?? REALLY?? Kids all over Vegas play outside in this heat again this not the schools fault. MOVE IF YOU DON"T LIKE THE HEAT!! What is wrong with the playground? Its actually bigger than most schools in Vegas. As for the parking lot, Thiriot has one of the biggest parking lots for an elementary school. Be informed please before you blame and point the finger. Oh and those fences are their to keep YOUR kids safe!! Teachers don't teach for the money, they teach because they love kids so be nice please. Thank you

Posted September 16, 2013
This school is terrific my granddaughter attended this school in kindergarden and is now in first grade. She loves it everynight she sits now with both her parents to do her home work. Mybe the parents so concerned about parking and the fence should worry more about their children. Did you not hear about the 13 year that was grabbed going to school.. The fence is a protection for everyone's child. Wake up people, would you rather have your little child waiting unprotected for someone to kidnap them or have a fence to protect them. Like I said what's more imortant your child or parking ?

Joseph E Thiriot Elementary School 4

Posted August 24, 2013
My daughter has attended this school for the past 2 years. I find teachers and staff more than helpful and available if there are questions and/or concerns. The fact that this is a uniform school is also a plus in my book. As for all the negative comments I read here, I have never experienced any problems with disrespect or feeling as if my child was being treated "like cattle". Yes parking is limited and unless you can have acouple apartment buildings demolished that's not going to be an easily fixed problem.

Joseph E Thiriot Elementary School 1

Posted November 28, 2012
The parking lot of this school is the least of my concerns when compared to the teachers and administration. If you want your child to be treated like cattle, disrespected, and given the best that a sub par education can offer...then this is your school. If you, as a parent, want to be looked down upon and blown off by the teachers/office admin for demanding better...again...this is your school. This school has no real extra curricular activities to offer, the parking lot was built for about 1/3 of the current attendees(illegal parking/unsafe driving), large class sizes combined with teachers punching the clock, kids expected to play outdoors in Vegas heat(103+) on the saddest "playground" you've ever seen, constant robocalls from the school, parents stand around for twenty minutes(both before and after school) before being lined up to pick up their kids from a "fenced off" area, and the front office secretary....WOW. This school is unlike any other I've seen. It's an absolutely dreadful place and I would encourage prospective parents to either try to get into another school or home school, because this failing school is a perfect example of a broken system.

Joseph E Thiriot Elementary School 1

Posted July 13, 2010
I don't have a problem with the school. I have a problem with the principal and the teacher body. My child was suspended for 2 days because she walk out of line. I felt that was very extreme punishment for an 8 yrs. I also informed them when I filled out the medical info that my child has ADHD. None of her teachers new that, I asked if they can have an IEP on file for her. It never happened. The school system is terrible here. I cannot wait to move from this place

Posted April 13, 2009
I agree that the parking lot has it's problems but knowing that parents should leave home a little earlier. As a teacher there, it would be great if I had more parent support. Many of my students come to school unprepared. I know that in most families parents are working but please take the time to check your child's folder/backpack, ask them about their day, and find out what they are learning. Most of the time I feel completely alone in the education of your children. I became a teacher so that I could help our children succeed. It can feel very disheartening when I am the only one working with all these students. You are your child's greatest teacher. Don't let that opportunity slip by.

5700 West Harmon Ave, Las Vegas, NV  89103
Last modified Joseph E Thiriot Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.