Las Vegas, NV

Joseph E Thiriot Elementary School 2

Posted March 23, 2015
The school is okay but the office staff especially KAREN LEVIN has a very poor etiquette!!! She's rude, snob, and not helpful at all... As an office clerk, obviously she does not have the qualities... No customer service and people skills. Hey karen, if you hate your job, just quit!!! The school does not need you! Your like a pest that makes the school rate down!

Joseph E Thiriot Elementary School 5

Posted November 02, 2013
Please be informed before you make comments about an IEP. It takes time to get your child an IEP and they don't get one because you want them to get one. I am pretty sure a child would never be suspended for walking out of line. I have been teaching for 7 years and have yet to see that happen. Please parents take accountability for your children's behavior and quit making excuses. This school has no extra curricular activities because they have NO PARENT volunteers or support. Class size has nothing to do with the school it has to do with the school district and the people who run it. Do you really think the teachers want large class sizes and they do it to make the parents mad?? REALLY?? Kids all over Vegas play outside in this heat again this not the schools fault. MOVE IF YOU DON"T LIKE THE HEAT!! What is wrong with the playground? Its actually bigger than most schools in Vegas. As for the parking lot, Thiriot has one of the biggest parking lots for an elementary school. Be informed please before you blame and point the finger. Oh and those fences are their to keep YOUR kids safe!! Teachers don't teach for the money, they teach because they love kids so be nice please. Thank you

Joseph E Thiriot Elementary School 5

Posted September 16, 2013
This school is terrific my granddaughter attended this school in kindergarden and is now in first grade. She loves it everynight she sits now with both her parents to do her home work. Mybe the parents so concerned about parking and the fence should worry more about their children. Did you not hear about the 13 year that was grabbed going to school.. The fence is a protection for everyone's child. Wake up people, would you rather have your little child waiting unprotected for someone to kidnap them or have a fence to protect them. Like I said what's more imortant your child or parking ?

Joseph E Thiriot Elementary School 4

Posted August 24, 2013
My daughter has attended this school for the past 2 years. I find teachers and staff more than helpful and available if there are questions and/or concerns. The fact that this is a uniform school is also a plus in my book. As for all the negative comments I read here, I have never experienced any problems with disrespect or feeling as if my child was being treated "like cattle". Yes parking is limited and unless you can have acouple apartment buildings demolished that's not going to be an easily fixed problem.

Posted November 28, 2012
The parking lot of this school is the least of my concerns when compared to the teachers and administration. If you want your child to be treated like cattle, disrespected, and given the best that a sub par education can offer...then this is your school. If you, as a parent, want to be looked down upon and blown off by the teachers/office admin for demanding better...again...this is your school. This school has no real extra curricular activities to offer, the parking lot was built for about 1/3 of the current attendees(illegal parking/unsafe driving), large class sizes combined with teachers punching the clock, kids expected to play outdoors in Vegas heat(103+) on the saddest "playground" you've ever seen, constant robocalls from the school, parents stand around for twenty minutes(both before and after school) before being lined up to pick up their kids from a "fenced off" area, and the front office secretary....WOW. This school is unlike any other I've seen. It's an absolutely dreadful place and I would encourage prospective parents to either try to get into another school or home school, because this failing school is a perfect example of a broken system.

Posted July 13, 2010
I don't have a problem with the school. I have a problem with the principal and the teacher body. My child was suspended for 2 days because she walk out of line. I felt that was very extreme punishment for an 8 yrs. I also informed them when I filled out the medical info that my child has ADHD. None of her teachers new that, I asked if they can have an IEP on file for her. It never happened. The school system is terrible here. I cannot wait to move from this place

Joseph E Thiriot Elementary School

Posted April 13, 2009
I agree that the parking lot has it's problems but knowing that parents should leave home a little earlier. As a teacher there, it would be great if I had more parent support. Many of my students come to school unprepared. I know that in most families parents are working but please take the time to check your child's folder/backpack, ask them about their day, and find out what they are learning. Most of the time I feel completely alone in the education of your children. I became a teacher so that I could help our children succeed. It can feel very disheartening when I am the only one working with all these students. You are your child's greatest teacher. Don't let that opportunity slip by.

Posted January 06, 2009
yes,the parking is such problem,it takes me forever to find a parking space.plus im always late taking my child to class,because of this. And the clerical staff always in the parking lot like they work for traffic control!!!lol they really need to fix this problem,or god forbid that a child would get hurt because of this.

Posted January 06, 2009
The school parking lot really needs to expand! and more teachers for kindergarden they only have 5 currently with each class growing with the number of students attending! They really need to hire more teachers!

Joseph E Thiriot Elementary School 2

Posted September 25, 2008
The Principal and Vice Principal are a great team...the staff just needs to get on track with the different needs of each student, and the realization that not all students learn the same.

Joseph E Thiriot Elementary School
5700 West Harmon Ave, Las Vegas, NV  89103
Last modified Joseph E Thiriot Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Joseph E Thiriot Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top