9-12 & Ungraded
Las Vegas, NV
Students enrolled: 1,953

Northwest Career & Technical Academy 3

Posted January 21, 2015
I really enjoy NW and my daughter loves it overall, but over the past few months of my daughter's freshman year, she has been blatantly disrespected ridiculed and mainly because of the color of her skin. I am at a loss for words that kids can be so nasty. I awaiting a return call from the Dean's Office and will update here. It has become to the point where my daughter does not want to come to school. My daughter has stood strong all this time and it is to the point now where she is being affected by this. SO hopefully, the school can rectify this situation as this has gone on long enough and the parents should be notified.

Northwest Career & Technical Academy 1

Posted January 08, 2015
Very disappointed by the quality of the students. Extremely rude, and honestly not that intelligent.

Northwest Career & Technical Academy 1

Posted November 27, 2014
I am very disappointed in the lack of professionalism in the administration team at NWCTA. The school does NOT put kids first..... They are inconsistent with expectations and goals for the students to reach. The inconsistency promotes a chaotic environment. The school has definately gone down hill.....
3 people found this helpful

Posted May 09, 2014
Northwest CTA is an incredible school. Beautiful campus, incredible teachers and specified classes. To the last reviewer...my experience and the experience of everyone else who has reviewed has been worthy of 5 stars. If you have been angry because you couldn't complain about your teachers (!), this is clearly your problem, because this school is amazing.

Northwest Career & Technical Academy 2

Posted May 03, 2014
I came to this school with the intention to push myself rigorously. Over the years, the school has changed drastically. I've had the most passionate teachers. With the new administration change, these teachers are trying to find jobs elswhere, and it makes me sad to see the best leave over the uptight conservative rules of the administration. I used to have the passionate teachers that pushed you to open your mind, but now most of my teachers consist of the typical "Im here for the paycheck." Im sick and tired of busy work and the lack of freedom to criticize the administration and teachers. Everytime I point out a flaw in the school, the administration doesn't listen. No wonder why we have scandals that end up on the news every year. I demmand to see change but I know that im just a student and can't change anything because that is how the admin wants you to feel.

Posted April 17, 2014
Northwest upholds strict adherence to the rules and policies of the school. This means that the students who go here really want to be here. The teachers, likewise choose to be at this school. When these factors are coupled together the results are an ability to aggressively teach past the standards to academic excellence. My daughter actually enjoys going to school each day making learning easier and more enjoyable. I would however, advise staying actively involved in sports and activities at your zoned school because this is the area where Northwest is deficient. As always, parents must remain interested and involved to avoid pitfalls. There are going to be some negative mixed in with all the good just by way of practical nature in all situations.

Posted April 06, 2014
I am a parent of a former student, AND a substitute teacher. My daughter and my niece (same age) both attended here all four years, and both graduated, of course. Excellent environment. I am also a substitute teacher. We all know that students think of substitutes as "just a sub." I used to be a teacher assistant, a substitute, and a full time teacher. I've done it all! And I let them know that so that they understand that I'm not some "nobody" off the street. My first substituting experience at the HS level was a couple of weeks ago at NWCTA. I LOVED it! The teacher was organized and left me great instructions and plenty of work. Students were EXTREMELY respectful, mature, and studios ... even at the freshman level! I highly recommend this school for students, AND teachers.

Posted October 30, 2013
I love this school! This is my freshman year for engineering program and all I can say is all the upper classman are the nicest people ever! You don't have to worry about cliques in the mornings or lumches. Everyone is all spread out and having a good time. This school is challenging but what do you expect from a magnet school? They give you lots of homework, but it is simple, just time consuming. I learn a lot and all the teachers are so nice and help you in any way. They put students before themselves. All the teachers really act like they like teaching. They don't act annoyed or bored of their job. All I can say is if you are applying for the 9th grade year and you make it, you don't have to worry about drama or bullying at all.This school is awesome and fun with the programs and clubs! Highly recommended.

Posted October 10, 2013
NWCTA is an amazing school for the motivated student and parent. We have been excited to finally see our child be challenged to learn in ways she had not previously been. Love the school!

Posted July 26, 2013
NorthWest is a wonderful School. This up coming school year I will be a junior. I'm very excited to start my junior year because of how much this school really challenges me. I'm always being challenged even in my classes that are not honors. Coming into this school as a freshman I didn't know how hard I would have to work to get good grades. But if your willing to work hard and take the school and the classes seriously, you'll succeed. The teachers are great. There are a few that really are just straight up horrible. But overall I love this school. I'm glad I'm going here, and I wouldn't have it any other way. If you are thinking about coming here next year please work hard, take this school seriously, always try your hardest and never give up. Even though some of the students look like they dont care, they really do. But some don't. This schools students really care about their academics. They don't take lightly to slackers and people who don't care. This school will put so much pressure on you. Be prepared to be pushed and slammed on the ground with all the work you have to do. But, trust me, it's not hard, it's just a lot of work that is so worth doing. Have fun being a hawk!!!

Northwest Career & Technical Academy
8200 W. Tropical Pkwy, Las Vegas, NV  89149
Last modified Northwest Career & Technical Academy is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Northwest Career & Technical Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 35 reviews. Top