9-12 & Ungraded|Public district

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (1 response)

Northwest Career & Technical Academy 4

Posted April 14, 2016
I was very excited about this school for my child when she was admitted. It was more "academic" than many of the CCSD schools and offered a lot of challenges. She also is in sports and orchestra, which were accommodated for. I have to say, this year, the new principal is making things extremely difficult for students interested in a well-rounded education. Under her tutelage music is reportedly being withdrawn from the school, they no longer allow for a 5-10 min leave time for sports practices (many have to drive across town to get to their school zone), and have made the lunch schedule difficult and backed up in order to become more like other CCSD schools schedules. Running out of food of some selections at lunch is not unlikely. The student cafe is awesome. This was an amazing school with a drive toward excellence. Now it's becoming more like the rest of CCSD and I, for one, am not excited by the changes. The upside is that there a wonderful group of students attending this school that are dedicated to achieving excellence. There are some very good teachers...and some not great teachers depending on the program fields. Overall a good school and still better than many of CCSD's schools.

Northwest Career & Technical Academy
Grateful to: Staff member

Posted April 14, 2016
Mr. Symmonds is the most amazing English teach and debate coach around! Thanks for being there

Posted April 20, 2015
In reading the previous reviews it is ashame that a few obnoxious and insensitive bullies are ruining the high school experience for some of these children attending NWCTA. Our child attends this school and 99.9% of the student population are wonderful, accepting, and creative young men and women. The students in program classes take pride in their work because it is a privilege to be selected to attend a magnet school. Our child has special needs. Each of the advisers, psychologists, nurses, and teaching faculty we have come in contact with have worked with us to ensure our child is successful at NWCTA. These teachers are true assets to their profession. Our child will certainly be prepared for college because of this school.

Northwest Career & Technical Academy 3

Posted January 21, 2015
I really enjoy NW and my daughter loves it overall, but over the past few months of my daughter's freshman year, she has been blatantly disrespected ridiculed and mainly because of the color of her skin. I am at a loss for words that kids can be so nasty. I awaiting a return call from the Dean's Office and will update here. It has become to the point where my daughter does not want to come to school. My daughter has stood strong all this time and it is to the point now where she is being affected by this. SO hopefully, the school can rectify this situation as this has gone on long enough and the parents should be notified.

Northwest Career & Technical Academy 1

Posted January 08, 2015
Very disappointed by the quality of the students. Extremely rude, and honestly not that intelligent.

Northwest Career & Technical Academy 1

Posted November 27, 2014
I am very disappointed in the lack of professionalism in the administration team at NWCTA. The school does NOT put kids first..... They are inconsistent with expectations and goals for the students to reach. The inconsistency promotes a chaotic environment. The school has definately gone down hill.....

Posted May 09, 2014
Northwest CTA is an incredible school. Beautiful campus, incredible teachers and specified classes. To the last reviewer...my experience and the experience of everyone else who has reviewed has been worthy of 5 stars. If you have been angry because you couldn't complain about your teachers (!), this is clearly your problem, because this school is amazing.

Northwest Career & Technical Academy 2

Posted May 03, 2014
I came to this school with the intention to push myself rigorously. Over the years, the school has changed drastically. I've had the most passionate teachers. With the new administration change, these teachers are trying to find jobs elswhere, and it makes me sad to see the best leave over the uptight conservative rules of the administration. I used to have the passionate teachers that pushed you to open your mind, but now most of my teachers consist of the typical "Im here for the paycheck." Im sick and tired of busy work and the lack of freedom to criticize the administration and teachers. Everytime I point out a flaw in the school, the administration doesn't listen. No wonder why we have scandals that end up on the news every year. I demmand to see change but I know that im just a student and can't change anything because that is how the admin wants you to feel.

Posted April 17, 2014
Northwest upholds strict adherence to the rules and policies of the school. This means that the students who go here really want to be here. The teachers, likewise choose to be at this school. When these factors are coupled together the results are an ability to aggressively teach past the standards to academic excellence. My daughter actually enjoys going to school each day making learning easier and more enjoyable. I would however, advise staying actively involved in sports and activities at your zoned school because this is the area where Northwest is deficient. As always, parents must remain interested and involved to avoid pitfalls. There are going to be some negative mixed in with all the good just by way of practical nature in all situations.

Posted April 06, 2014
I am a parent of a former student, AND a substitute teacher. My daughter and my niece (same age) both attended here all four years, and both graduated, of course. Excellent environment. I am also a substitute teacher. We all know that students think of substitutes as "just a sub." I used to be a teacher assistant, a substitute, and a full time teacher. I've done it all! And I let them know that so that they understand that I'm not some "nobody" off the street. My first substituting experience at the HS level was a couple of weeks ago at NWCTA. I LOVED it! The teacher was organized and left me great instructions and plenty of work. Students were EXTREMELY respectful, mature, and studios ... even at the freshman level! I highly recommend this school for students, AND teachers.

Northwest Career & Technical Academy
8200 W. Tropical Pkwy, Las Vegas, NV  89149
Last modified Northwest Career & Technical Academy is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.