No rating

Southern Highlands Preparatory School

Private | K-8 | 244 students

Living in Las Vegas

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $165,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,430.

Posted May 8, 2014

This school made my child into an excellent student. Each teacher understands my child and seems to be honestly interested in her future success. I highly recommend Southern Highlands Preparatory School to any parent looking for small class sizes and individualized attention for their child.

Posted April 22, 2014

I attended this school and proudly say I went here. I only was here for my two final years of middle school and it was great. It struggled a little with some political issues when I was there, but I continued to stay involved after I graduated and I wish I could go back. The school is under control of a new, great principal. I loved this school. I don't think this school prepared me as well as I could have been for high school, but I learned a lot. I was very involved when I attended and there is much to do. I think it's just a good school. The small classes may seem scary due to "lack of social skills" but I am so glad I was in a small class!! You make friendships that are special. All schools have flaws, there is no such thing as a perfect school. This school has its flaws, but I had such a positive experience there that the flaws just didn't matter. The teachers are great and easy to contact. Just in general and good school.

Posted October 17, 2013

SHPS preschool is wonderful! Teachers are highly qualified and administration rocks! My children love it here and we are extremely happy!

Posted July 18, 2013

This school is great. The administration and teachers are excellent. There is always a respect to any issue. I have two kids attending the school and we all enjoy every aspect of it. The only sad thing is that this school goes up to eight grade only. We wish for them to establish grades 9-12 as well. Thank you, Ms. Martin for wholeheartedly devoting yourself to all our kids and making this school to be the best in the State.

Posted February 1, 2012

This school could be great but not with this current principal. Too much politics and pettiness - she appears to act vindictively towards teachers and there has been a lot of teacher turnover during the school year. A very unhealthy situation for students and a unfriendly snobby attitude from the administration...makes this place a joke. Put your money and kids somewhere else where they have true professionals.

Posted December 24, 2011

My son started here preK. He's now in 3rd grade. Every teacher has been fantastic, and the principal has been unbelievably supportive. The kids are great, and my son has made some terrific friends. The curriculum is top notch and well presented by the staff. My wife and I are very happy with our choice to place our son here and would happily recommend this school to any of our friends moving to Vegas for their children.

Posted October 1, 2010

Good teacher, good curriculum, and good staff. The lunch is pretty expensive for what is is. The kids can be rude and vain. Parent's don't seem to participate in school actuvities. The teachers give ALOT of homework...I can't help my kids with it because it is just too much/hard/etc. GREAT P.E. teacher and GREAT Spanish curriculum. This school is better than my kids old school but there are those rich snobs according to my kids. This is still a good school there. I would reccomend this to my friends. Oh! And there is not a really strong dicipline system. Kids can get away with alot of stuff that wouldn't pass at their old school.

Posted May 11, 2010

My childrens' teachers are wonderful, but I get the impression they are spread too thin. We work hard to keep our children here and want the best education for them, but the teachers should be focusing on teaching- not daycare before and after school.

Posted February 23, 2010

Smart and supportive principal. Excellent, caring teachers. Well-organized and thoughtful programs. Love the Nobel learning information that reinforces good development. Worth the penny-pinching to keep our child here.

Posted February 20, 2010

teachers asked to work long hours for low pay. Causes a high turn over, with many teachers leaving in the middle of the year. Principle does not have positive control of this school. Some awesome teachers, but they are forced to look else where for job success. Makes it a bummer for our kids. Office needs to get it together to keep teachers around.

Posted February 1, 2010

I am highly disappointed with the lack of professionalism and Administration of this school. I would never recommend this school to anyone! Teacher turnover is high during the school year which affects the children. The Administration is very disorganized but represent the exact opposite during a tour. Flat out poor management!

Posted August 20, 2009

Great school!!! love their preschool.

Posted August 8, 2009

Great school except for issues with office manager. Leave the politics and gossip out of the school and parents and teachers will be much happier. Let's support the school and facilty and stop the petty immature attitude. A positive environment needs to be maintained for the children.

Posted July 17, 2009

Our experience with the preschool has been excellent. The tuition and fees are fair and comparable with other schools. The teachers are also very good about teaching the kids to wash their hands and limiting germs. My child has not even had a sniffle since placed him at southern highlands!!

Posted June 18, 2009

Love this school. Compared to all the other private schools in the lv area, they are the least expensive. My son has been at this school since pre-k and as long as we can afford it he will continue going. Great education! way better than public. Worth the money!

Posted February 23, 2009

Too expensive, lots of add on expenses, education is sub-par. No discipline. Parents are snobby and rude. Kids have foul mouths. Won't send my child there again. My son attended 1 1/2 yrs.

Posted November 25, 2008

Small classes, sports, clubs, great parent involvement, caring teachers

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 11% 6%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • NAEYC
  • NAIS

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• College preparatory