Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

Like most things, you get out of it what you put in. The school is filled with extremes from the students up to the teachers. Teachers range from brand new to highly experienced and effective. There is little help for those that are struggling whether they are advanced or below grade level. It is a top notch IB magnet school that has to deal with misplaced students. Many get into the program with no idea what the word rigorous means. Expect hours of homework every night and sometimes on weekends. There will be no handholding for those that fall behind. If you don't understand something, you are expected to take the initiative and figure it out. This is prepping students for the rigor expected at tier 1 and 2 universities. It certainly isn't for everyone. Zoned student have one less class than IB students. Many are below grade level. Those willing and able to work will automatically be placed into accelerated courses. Those that can't keep up often disrupt the learning environment. The sports teams at this school have a reputation for doing very well against other schools in the city. The fine arts program is also very strong. If you can't afford a private school and can't get to a charter school, this is a good alternative for those working towards high caliber professional careers. It is a public school though and the zoned students are from the lower end of the social strata and many are English language learners. They bring with them all the challenges that that entails.

Develops character: Neutral

It isn't a school's job to do this. It is the job of the parent.

I just graduated 8th grade this year from Roy Martin. The school is amazing. The field trips you go on are extraordinary. I had a few problems at the school but not to major to make me change my mind on how awesome this school is. The staff is nice and there is always a police officer on campus to ensure everyone is safe at all times. You will receive a school owned iPad which you will be able to take home every day. The iPads were a little bit more of a distraction. I did most of my assignments on paper which was the easier and better way for me. I had a lot of close relationships with my teachers. They were all so nice and caring. Incoming sixth graders should not worry about getting bullied or getting lost. I was a little scared on my first day of middle school but I got used to it after about the first week. There is nothing to worry about. I love this middle school so much and I'm going to miss it when I am in high school this year!

Everything went wrong. My homework. my teachers. my friends. even my emotional state went down the drain.

I would not recommend this school to any parent that seeking a magnet program. I had to withdraw my son because of the careless staff. The kids are mean and are bullies as well as staff being bullies themselves. This school is not considered a safe haven where kids can talk to teachers about anything. I'm not only speaking for my own kid but for other kids there. There are kids that are being isolated because of the feeling of not wanting to talk to anyone because no one will listen especially when it has to do with staff. These kids are the ghost kids where they're quite but on the inside no one understands them. This school will not help a child develop any social skills as well as helping kids know who they are. Your better off going to Hyde Park or to their home school and put in advanced classes.

I'm not sure why no-one has commented on this school since 2010. Parents need to know as much as possible before they decide to let their children go there. First of all, if you want to send your child there for IB program, beware that classes are mixed: magnet and non-magnet go together lowering the overall advantage your child might have wanted to have. My child is excellent in math, she is seated in the back of the class, surrounded by non magnet students who talk loud and disturb all the time. This is the case with all IB program classes she takes. Awful. There is nothing advanced in any of her classes. Bullying is on everyday basis, no-one of the teaching stuff cares. Some teachers let their students out of the school a few minutes early, no care taken for their safety. If you call school, you get to talk to the lady who lets what you tell her in one ear and lets it out another. The counselor might be nice to students and spills students' personal opinions to the teachers who retaliate. Do your child a favor, apply to Hyde Park. If you don't get in due to crazy idea of "lottery" (why not base it on excellence, eh?), home school or choose charter school.

I really want to go to this middle school I can't wait. If I got in this school I would do all I can to work hard.

i love this school! i have made so many friends and even though the deans are a little strict, they deliver the discipline needed to survive in High School! I wont be there anymore next year, i'm an 8th grader!!! :) So i say good luck to all of the sixth and seventh graders and even the new sixth graders that will be coming to that school next year.

I love Roy Martin! I've learned so many valuable things. My teachers are very caring and always give me the help I need. I came to Roy Martin to continue the IB program (I used to go to Sandy Miller Elementary). They also give ALL the magnet students free laptops. They;re very helpful! We also have a brand new two story building! I think the school has improved from recent years.

THis is an extremely great school. THe IB emphasis is present almost everywhere. Activities are superb. I came froom a private school and I was surprised with how excellent this program was. I would recommend everyone to come here. Do not be discouraged by the neighborhood.

Last modified Roy West Martin Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.