Jim Bridger Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 1431 students

Posted June 20, 2014

I am a not so proud student at Jim Bridger Middle School. I have attended the school for both 6th and recently finished 7th grade. I hope that I will not be going to the school for 8th grade. I need to be able to attend a good high school and college and I honestly don't feel that I could get that with Jim Bridiger MS. I am a magnet student, not zoned. This school definitely doesn't hold an educational edge, in fact, it is much lower in terms of learning, teachers, and overall look and feel of the school. Research upon research on this school... 4 out of 10 stars is the official rating. Disappointing. May I say, I am quite smart in the field of education and I really feel like I learned nothing the two years I was there. I mean, go into a bath room and there were some kids doing drugs. Horrible school. Don't waste your child's time of you are even considering this school. Definitely no lies in this review. I wouldn't have wasted my time to write it if I didn't care about the educational well being of other students.

Posted June 2, 2014

My Bridger years were amazing 7 & 8 You learn lots of things . It's fun school. We're all family & we all care about each other . First the dean is a wonderful person as well the rest of the staff The deans job is not to babysit your kids she don't bite If you need help she's there students getting mad Over the actions they've done and she's just letting Them learn from their mistakes ! Bathrooms are dirty but that mess Is from the students and their not your children's Maid either ! Tell your kids to do their part and they'll Do theirs!

Posted January 13, 2014

I'm a seventh grade student at Jim Bridger Middle School and I can honestly say that there was only about one teacher in the whole school who actually cared about the students. This school is horrible and nothing is ever done about the problems. Teachers see the students fighting and selling/doing drugs, but nothing is ever done. I've told the deans about this problem, but no action was taken. The people in this school make me regret thinking I would better my education here. The students constantly fight and the teachers are mean and don't care enough to teach us properly. I really wish something was done to take care of these problems at the school.

Posted October 17, 2013

This school is horrible. I'm in 7th grade and the school is terrible. People here judge you on your looks. It's my second year at this school. We use iPads and since then my grades have been D's and F's. The teachers don't help and the students are mean. My mom is taking me out if this school. I really hate this school. It's in a ghetto neighbor hood and the only good person at that school is the principal. I got in trouble last year for touching my friends shoulder. I got suspended and in house for 1 week. This school is pathetic.

Posted September 4, 2013

There are some teachers who actually seem to care, but too many that don't. They really should look into who they have teaching the kids. Some are obviously mentally unstable and don't put their students first. This school has potential but they need to weed out the bad seeds first. Also safety is a huge concern. Pay attention and get it right!

Posted August 8, 2013

Ive attended for two years now and I actually enjoy it. I say actually because the bathrooms are disguisting, the school area is not really safe and there is a lot of trouble. On the other hand, the teachers are excellent, they explain material very well and with the help of our government-funded-ipads, we learn even more!! I love the school and all my friends. The thing is though, you have to chose your friends wisely because there are some two-faced backstabbers there that will act to be your friend.

Posted July 22, 2013

when i attended for 6th and 7th grade i hated that school. many kids were getting bullied, most of the boys made girls feel ugly or unwanted, the girls only think about either bullying or getting a boyfriend,some of the teachers are lazy & dont teach properly. I did like the fact that they encourage and push the students to grow. Since Bridger is now offering Ipads,my grades went from "B's and A's" to "D's and F's" they were too much of a distraction and tempting, more drama cuased. it took 3/4 of the school year for teachers to learn how to use the ipads. I also wanted to get into art class but i couldn't because of low crt test scores, so i figured "okay, maybe i really need this class to improve" but the class i was taking, the teacher Ms.Jackson was only teaching us nouns,verbs,adverbs,and simple 1st grade things. I loved my math class Ms.Lathem, she was excellent teacher. My history teacher Ms.Frans was a horrible teacher, she dint teach anything at all, she would give assignments and never graded them, we mostly copied notes and never learned a thing. The P.E teacher Mr.kalas was caught looking in the girls locker room but nobody did anything.

Posted January 2, 2012

My two daughters has gone to school here and it is one of the best "Magnet Program School" in Nevada. My two daughters all applied to the Magnet Program and has been accepted. Once home from their first day of school they each said the school was "AWESOME!" to attend. In my opinion this school is a great school with a lot of activities and learning. This is one of the best schools I have entered my daughters into. 5/5 Stars.The principal (Ms. Jaskolski) is incredibly involved with the 1300 students who attend this school. During an awards ceremony, she did not schmooze with the parents or the teachers. Instead, she spent most of her time connecting with the students. It is this connection that has created an outstanding learning environment supported by teachers who SINCERELY care. I get emails from my son's teachers and track what he is doing in school via the Jim Bridger Google & Moodle site, their daily news online and announcements. This is really fun and interesting for them. GO FALCONS! :)

Posted August 25, 2011

I attended Bridger from 2001 - 2003, and in the last year I remember the new batch of students were a part of the (then) new Magnet program. Unless the environment has changed, this school is horrendous. The buildings were old, the school is located in the middle of a ghetto (being a military brat and taking the bus, the area was an eye-opener for me), janitorial duties were rarely attended to, and the instructors cared more about themselves than the students. Granted, the students weren't all too charming to begin with. Overall, the mix of uncaring instructors and ungrateful students is what brought the school down. Many teachers threw in the towel while most students (barely) went on to High School. During my 3 years, a science teacher had a nervous breakdown and a Math instructor was forced into retirement, blaming the student body for health issues. Take what I've posted with a grain of salt, though. I attended Bridger during it's last years as a regular school. I do remember some great, helpful teachers and friends. If this "Magnet Program" has solved the problems that used to plague this school, than kudos to the administration.

Posted June 6, 2011

This is the only school in Nevada selected as a Magnet School of Excellence and with good reason. The curriculum here is vigorous and cutting edge with Magnet students rotating from biomedicine to digital animation to aviation to robotics, etc. My son went from a very mediocre and mostly uninterested student to a completely engaged A honor roll student with a passion and zest for learning. The zoned students here live in a high poverty area yet they are inspired by their peers in Magnet and many participate in the same types of activities like chess or drama club after school. The principal (Ms. Jaskolski) is incredibly involved with the 1300 students who attend this school. During an awards ceremony, she did not schmooze with the parents or the teachers. Instead, she spent most of her time connecting with the students. It is this connection that has created an outstanding learning environment supported by teachers who SINCERELY care. I get emails from my son's teachers and track what he is doing in school via the Jim Bridger Google & Moodle site, their daily news online and announcements. As a parent, you're always in the loop. My son is so lucky to attend Bridger M.S.

Posted June 1, 2011

hi im a 8th grade student at jim bridger middel school and ill im going to say is that this 3 years i been in bridger where awsome year after year and yes the bathroom and hall maybe dirty but you have to understand that people are geting unemployed and it makes it hard for the staff to keep up with crazy mess kids.im not saying this school is perfect but is hot the worst and if your weird about gang and drug gangs and drug are all over the place not just here at bridger.also bridger is a good school because we do learn things and we also go chosen to me one of the best magnet school of america we didnt win but we atless got chosen.will thats all and bridger is a great schhol im miss it a lot ...GO FALCONS!!!!!

Posted March 3, 2011

i am currently attending jim bridger and in 8th grade. i dislike this school very much. there is too many rude people, like the teachers, deans, and students. they dont do anything about student's problems. i wish it was better

Posted September 9, 2010

Yes, she is at William Wright. There have been so many negative comments about her that they shut down the review section of this web page (or mabe she did). My god, she's horrible.

Posted August 3, 2010

Worst school I have ever been to and Iv'e been to many,I would give it zero stars if I could. It's also very unsanatary the bathrooms are filthy with a stench of pee everywhere.The deans are very rude to the students and do nothing about the bullying and fights in the school.

Posted July 14, 2010

I attended Jim Bridger in the late 80's during my 6th grade year. I am now 32 years old. Judging by most of the reviews on this site, I am pleased to see that so many parents are happy with the way this school is taking care of their childen. Looking back, for me this school was a terrifying place to go. My dad was in the Air Force and was stationed on Nellis AFB, so I had no choice but to attend this school as there were no middle schools on base. It was a big change for me coming from a small town in Tennessee. I didn't know what gangs were until I attended school at Jim Bridger, and all the new graffiti on the walls every morning. Hopefully things really are better there. I do want to say that the teachers I had back then were nice.

Posted February 22, 2010

This school is great. All the teachers here are very helpful and caring. Not to mention the attention the kids here get. If your child is having problems the teachers try their best to help the problem. Kids here have a lot of friend so nobody is uncared for. I love this school!!! People say were bad the truth is were well mannered. Bring your kids here i think they will like it very much.
—Submitted by a student

Posted July 22, 2009

Two of our kids attended the magnet at Bridger, and we saw great things happen. The band teacher is probably the best in town, unbelievable what those kids do. The principal is very involved and welcoming and seems to know where the school should be headed. The kids are polite (for middle school kids) and seem happy - our kids were, considering that it is middle school. The 'hands off' policy seems to keep bullying down. The magnet counselor is one in a million - very good at seeing and meeting individual student needs. Most of the teachers have been great, and when the occasional problem arose, the teacher and/or the principal were right on it and we could move forward. Both kids left there well-prepared for high school. Great teachers, great principal, great counselor, good overall culture and expectations for kids.

Posted October 3, 2008

My Daughter is thriving in the Magnet program here. The teachers have been great. It is challenging and the math and science programs are above what she would be getting in her zoned middle school. Not to mention the electives she is getting here, not even close to what she would she could get in her zoned middle school.

Posted August 15, 2008

My child gets picked on constantly, the teachers never explain the material. The bathrooms are unsanitary luckily for my son im switching him to J.D Smith Middle school.

Posted March 27, 2008

this school is really nice, all the teachers actually teach you somrthing .It does take you to success.
—Submitted by a student

Math

The state average for Math was 49% in 2013.

457 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 63% in 2013.

456 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Nevada used the Criterion Referenced Test (CRT) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and math, and in grades 5 and 8 in science. The CRT is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Nevada. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2013.

444 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 62% in 2013.

443 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 39% in 2013.

424 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 50% in 2013.

422 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2013.

419 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 60% in 2011.

396 students were tested at this school in 2011.

All Students37%

Students with limited English proficiency15%
Proficient in English68%
Not migrant55%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Nevada Department of Education; if there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students48%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 87%N/A54%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

Performing and written arts
  • Drama

Fax number
  • (702) 799-7074

Staff resources available to students
  • Assistant principal(s)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options

Arts & music

Performing arts
  • Drama
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2505 North Bruce St