Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

My son has attended Jo Mackey since 1st grade and is now finishing up his 5th grade year there. I am very pleased with the education my son received. This is a "no-nonsense" school & they do not tolerate the children misbehaving or talking back, etc... My son was sent to the principal's office many times throughout the year and even RPC'd a few times in his 1st grade year. But, overall I am pleased with the education and values the children learn. My son was challenged and was able to maintain an A/B avereage every year, dispite the behavioral issued throughout the years. I'm going to enroll him in a Charter School for middles school because I wasn't thrilled with the school he was accepted to. I highly recommend Jo Mackey Magnet for any elementary aged child. This is a math & science school.

Amount of homework: Neutral

At times the homework is a bit too much

Develops character: Strongly agree

They teach them all the qualities they need to become leaders.

I love this school. They have great teachers and staff. I'm so glad I found this school. My daughter never wants to leave.

The teachers are not always the nicest to the kids. I have experienced walking the halls and heared them degrade kids in their tone and language. I think they can do a better job with communication amongst the staff and students. The kids do have good experiences, but also feel they cannot talk openly with their teachers.

Jo Mackey has a positive environment and school culture. Special accolades to Ms. Modesitt (excellent 3rd grade teacher), Ms. McClinton (art specialist), and Ms. Sigmond (Special Ed/resource teacher).

I am very satisfied with my son's 1st grade progress...coming from private pre-k & k I was a little worried about the area but, it was great! Mrs. Washington has a no nonsense policy which is awesome fir creating JoMackey leaders!

We were not impressed by the school at all, as a parent I wouldn't recommend it. Some teachers do not have adequate experience or training, and...teaching and learning environment is not child-friendly.

My two kids are attending Jo Mackey and they love their school. My daughter is a 5th grader and she is into the Robotics team. Also she participate in School Choir and this week she perform as the News anchor. My son attends 2nd grade and his teacher is very qualify in science and math. This school is great, the teachers masters the subjects and made the school time very enjoyable for the kids. I recommend this school to everybody!

I have received numerous notes and flyers sent home with spelling mistakes. I have received notices with incorrect dates for teacher in-service. In addition, if you are pro-Obama, this is this school for you. This is an academy of democratic and progressive politics. If the school we are zoned for had a traditional school year like Jo Mackey, and not 12-month, I would have pulled my child out of school mid-year and sent him to a public school. There is no way I will let him attend 2 years in a row.

Last modified Jo Mackey Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.