Bad
Good

Compared to other Clark County Schools, Dusty Dickens scores high. The principal and vice principal get personally involved when there are student issues. Above all, the school seems to be properly managed. I can't say enough about how kind and patient the front staff are even in the face of constant demands from parents, teachers, and students. The have always been polite with me. The teachers care about their students and keep the hallways quiet. The school has many activities for the students to participate in along with parents. The school is actively seeking parent involvement by setting up parent phone text alert systems, sending notices home, etc. Classroom size is a problem in a few classes because when one child is misbehaving, it throws off the teacher and the entire classroom. After the principal finds a solution, then the child should come back to class. Having 35 or more students in a class is too much. This is a problem for all of Clark County schools. Hopefully Clark County can eventually solve this problem. Overall, I do enjoy this school and look forward to seeing the improvements coming in the future.

Develops character: Strongly agree

I visit many schools. Compared to other Clark County Schools, Dusty Dickens scores high. The principal and vice principal get personally involved when there are student issues. Above all, the school seems to be properly managed. I can't say enough about how kind and patient the front staff are even in the face of constant demands from parents, teachers, and students. They have always been polite with me. The teachers care about their students and keep the hallways quiet. The school has many activities for the students to participate in along with parents. The school is actively seeking parent involvement by setting up parent phone text alert systems, sending notices home, etc. Improvements that can be made revolve around classroom size and disruptive students in the classroom. When one child is misbehaving or has a social/mental issue, it throws off the teacher and the entire classroom. After the principal finds a solution, then the child should come back to class or needs to be permanently removed. The school can only do so much, parents need to do more. Also having 35 or more students in a class is too much. This is a problem for all of Clark County schools. Hopefully Clark County can eventually solve this problem. Overall, I do enjoy this school and look forward to seeing more improvements coming in the future.

I've had a good experience with Dickens elementary and the office staff is really great.

If my son prior teacher took the time and extra effort to reach out to me when my son needed a nudge, I don't know why his teacher here felt so irritated when I made huge efforts to work with her on behalf of my son.

5th graders are out-of-control and believe they can do and say what ever they want. More parent involvement is needed here.

My sons are in 1st and 2nd grade and have wonderful teachers. They show their concern about their students and welcome parent interaction. I have sat down with them and it shows they really pay attention to their students. The office staff are very helpful as well and it shows on a daily basis. I am looking to move within the next few months and I am only looking in their school zone, why change a good thing?

My daughter has attended Dickens since Kindergarten and she is now in 4th grade. I also have children in Kindergarten and the Preschool program at Dickens. I love the principal and vice principal and the office staff. The teachers are good, but the stress of their jobs always being on the line shows in there mood towards the children. I also would like to see more parents care about their children and participate at the school. Clark County is a tough place to raise children the schools have limited funding and so many children do as they please without parental discipline. If you are a parent that is involved your child s education this is a great school.

I love Dickens. My daughter went to Kindergarten last year and I was soo worried because I had to leave my baby at school, alone, without me. It was shortly after meeting her teacher that I knew I had nothing to worry about. Miss Bratland was a joy and my daughter LOVED her, I loved her, my son loved her! We are thrilled that my son will now have her as his teacher this year. I really can't think of anything bad to day other than their award ceremonies need to be better organized so that there is not so much crowding... other then that.. my daughter learned alot, did great, loved school, and we loved it too... We are all looking forward to the year ahead for them... I can only hope that all the other teachers are this wonderful! Everyone in their staff is so kind and just willing to go above and beyond for your kids....Miss Pam is amazing! THANKS DICKENS for making a scary thing so easy!

Not very happy with the kids at this school. teachers are great but the kids are just out of control . fights happen here more then alot of the parents know of i believe. i seen fights in the morning and in the afternoon . Along with the kids fighting we also have adults fighting . i seen cops here 3 times in one month. i think its time for the school to do something about it.

My son also has attended this school since it opened. The staff and principals are great knowing every childs name and a caring attitude. The teachers are the most outstanding and the students show it. However they also have been put in a position to deal with students that have diciplinary issues. This problem has been spread out to the various classes of the students grade level so one teacher doesn't get them all in her class. This is disruptive to the rest of the class. The students are always on alert when their only focus should be on the current lesson at hand. These problem students intimidate the other students and are at times violent. There is a tolerancy for this behavior beyond what our students should have to put up with. These children are special needs children and should be in special needs class of their own.

Last modified D L Dusty Dickens Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.