Public charter
Reno, NV
Before care: Yes

Sierra Nevada Academy Charter 2

Posted September 01, 2014
If you are looking for very large class sizes then this is the school for you. I saw a commercial for this school on tv. I made an appointment to take a tour and the school seemed like a nice place to put my son. There are over 30 students in my sons class. This is not ok and the principal should be ashamed to have a school with this many kids packed into one room. I asked the teacher if they got any help with all of these kids and they said sometimes. Sometimes??? this is not ok. My son needs extra help and I don't feel a large class size will help him at all. It is my understanding that most of the classrooms at this school are over crowded. After reading the last comment on this website it makes sense that all the principal wants is money for the kids because why else would they want their classrooms so over crowded it is not beneficial in any sort of way. After researching schools in this area I know that the other schools only allow up to 20 students in their classroom...Pulling my son out as soon as possible. I hope the principal reads these reviews and realizes what he or she is doing to their nice little school.

Posted August 12, 2014
There is little to no communications from Mr.Schoenfeldt to staff on a lot of things there is no more small class size average classes size atm is 30 students per one teacher all Mr.Schoenfeldt is more worried about is filling seats to get the $6,500 per student from the state than he is about the children He also refuses to get rid of teachers that constantly have complaints against them by parents year after year but don't get me wrong there some good teachers there for example Mrs Holmes 2nd grade, Mr., Schum 3rd grade , Mr.B and Mrs. Wise 5th and 6th grade are all great teachers But even a great teachers can only do so much when not given the proper tools example how is a science teacher suppose to be able to teach science if there is no running water in the class room how are teacher suppose to copy things when the school refuses to buy paper or ink The best words of advice that I can give you is if you have a child At SNACS is go Volunteer for a while and you will see how fast this school has gone down hill since 2013-2014 school year

Posted October 22, 2013
Sierra Nevada Academy Charter School. My daughter has been attending SNACS for two years and we love it. The staff is attentive and caring. The teachers are superb. Most of the criticism stems from parents who are unwilling or incapable of helping their students at home. Students receive a lot of one on one time and the staff knows everyone. The kids in the school are all familiar with each other regardless of grade due to the size of the school. While it may not be newest school or have great ambiance like they do over on the South side of Reno, the school does absolutely fantastic for what they have and are always striving to improve. Perhaps some of those parents who complain should try to volunteer some time and help out if they know so much. I am a proud parent and proud to say my daughter goes to SNACS.

Posted February 18, 2013
I am a pre-service teacher doing my pre-clincial hours with SNAC. I have had such a lovely experience at this school. The teacher I am working with is very educated and is constantly doing new training to perfect her skills. I was surprised to see comments stating no music and art because in my time I have witnessed both a third party music teacher who comes in and works with the students (with instruments) and an art teacher that comes in and works with various mediums with the students. Security is also something I was very impressed with-locked school grounds and locked classrooms. I would feel very safe sending my children here and commend them for taking strong measures to protect their students! Love SNAC

Posted July 19, 2012
My daughter went to first grade here. While her teacher was nice the class room was chaos. The kids would be allowed in the hall unsupervised to do their "reading". While I am all for different methods of teaching I don't know how they learned anything. The last thing that made me pull my daughter out was that they let her go on a field trip with out my knowledge. She had not not made the "cut" to go but when the teacher asked who was going she raised her hand and was allowed to go. My daughter was sent with no money or things she needed. She was no on any sort of master list so I don't know how they knew she was even with the group. When I confronted the principal about it all he said was "sorry" she made it home safe that should be good enough. Well it wasn't so I pulled her out homeschooled her. This place is a joke!

Posted May 16, 2012
Teachers only communicate when telling you what your child did wrong or what they didn't do. No teacher encouragement. Classrooms are chaotic, teachers are constantly screaming while at their desk. Middle school building smells like a gym locker....(there are no windows to open). I feel as though I should do jail time for subjecting my son to this school.

Posted May 14, 2012
Excellent teachers and staff, I have gone in and observed multiple classes. The teachers vary in teaching styles, but I've never once have I doubted it. I have a nephew attending now, and my daughter attended when it first started. She is now in the fast track medical school program at the University of Nevada Reno, and I believe the study skills she learned at SNACS, carried on to the future in medicine she is now persuing. I'm extremely excited to see how my nephew develops the next few years at this school! Come to SNACS if you want smaller classroom and more teacher involvement in your students life.

Posted December 13, 2009
I love this school so far! I'm in 7th grade and I can't wait to come back for 8th grade. The teachers are nice and the homework is decent. I've told my friends about this school and they're coming to this school for 8th grade.

Sierra Nevada Academy Charter 4

Posted August 09, 2009
I've been attending SNA since I was in 4th grade, and I will be going into 8th grade on the 24th. This school is great. AT my other school, the teachers treated us like garbage, and they didn't care about homework or classwork, all they cared about was reading out of a textbook. Although some of the teachers at SNA are rude to the students, that doesn't make it a bad school. I think all the teachers pushing me to succeed is what helps me be a good student. I'm now at a freshman in college level in reading, and a freshman in college level in vocabulary. And it's all because I decided to go to SNA! Thank you guys so much!

Posted March 04, 2009
SNACS is a terrific school. My child has attended this school since 3rd grade & is currently in 7th grade. She has excelled as a student due to the nurturing and caring attitudes of her teachers. She has either acheived Principal's Award (straight A's) or Honor Roll (A's & B's) since she has been a student attending this school. The middle school teachers go out of their way to help students succeed in a variety of ways, including outdoor labs and activities. I am very pleased with the entire staff. They are very accomodating in any way possible. As for another an earlier post from a parent complaining about summer work, there is none, except to read. This does help children succeed. Kudos to the entire SNACS staff and administrators. Thank you!

Sierra Nevada Academy Charter
13880 Stead Blvd, Reno, NV  89506
Last modified Sierra Nevada Academy Charter is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sierra Nevada Academy Charter Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 33 reviews. Top