North Valleys High School

Public | 9-12 | 2222 students

Sweep tile

Posted February 20, 2014

NVHS is terrible. Send your child anywhere but here. The faculty doesn't care about educating your child just passing them along to the next teacher. I wish I would have gone to any other school in the area.

Posted September 18, 2013

As a parent I shouldn't have to be treated like garbage going into the front office. Why should be ladies in the office ask questions from parents in such a rude manor? I wish the administration would just see how the parents and students are treated. If you need to eat at your desk - There is absolutely no professionalism going into this school. I don't mind showing my id when picking up my daughter and I don't mind waiting - but please I shouldn't have to hear the people in the office talking bad about teachers. Please keep this to yourself. If it weren't for the teachers my daughter has I would think about a variance.

Posted August 16, 2013

We have been promised for at least the last four years that we would receive a change in the coaching staff. Unfortunately we start again another year and the same coaches that have brought the moral and student attitudes down. For how many years must we continue to be at the bottom of the list for schools in football, basketball and baseball. Yes I do sports and do keep my grades up so that I can. This is my senior year and it is very frustrating when you over hear coaches, teachers and the admin. say it's the bad quality of athletes that go to NVHS. We do have many good athletes and we all want to succeed. Why should we be held back because they won't change the coaches. Just like we all feel No one cares or something would have been done

Posted July 23, 2013

Its like any other high school. There's the nerds, jocs, preps, and stoners. There's good teachers working along side the bad ones. The experience is what you make it. A little tip about the clique thing.. make friends in the begining of the year. Put yourself out there right away so people will remember you.. and you wont fall into the "nobody" crowd.

Posted June 25, 2012

Great school. I am a student and i enjoy it very much. The teachers actually teach you something. The people are nice, and they/ we welcome others with open arms. The new principal is very strict and inforces new rules to better the school. Yes, like everyother school it has its downfalls but overal it is an awesome place to go to school.

Posted July 3, 2011

I was there for my freshmen year and then I moved. It's a bad school the student are mean and drugies. the teachers don't teach that much and won't help you. The school is also poor because they put all the money they get to the football team thats it. The students are so bad that there's a fight at less once a week. Then they have a smoker area they let you smoke what u want. But there are some good stuff about the school like the air force JROTC they do there best to make the school look better. All the kids who are in there JROTC work hard and are really nice. So I would say if you or your kid is going to nvhs don't unless you do like JROTC.

Posted May 24, 2011

This has got to be the worst high school in the State of Nevada. The administrators are terrible, the policies are even worse, and their sports program leaves much to be desired. While there are a few teachers and administrators who truly care and want their students to succeed, there are those "winners" who are just there to get a paycheck. My other kids will NOT be attending NVHS and I will make sure they go elsewhere, heck, at this point Hug HS is a better option, at least I know they will have a better education than the farce they provide at NVHS.

Posted March 8, 2011

I went there for half my 9th grade year & my parents pulled me out I was on the basketball team and in honors classes The sports aspect was great Honors where vigorous with pace & work In normal class friends said you could backtalk walk out be disruptive & still do well Drug circulation racial & social conflict is very high They have a designated smoking area which is the source of more than cigarettes My teachers on average seemed to be very good But it's like they expect you to fail They help if you seek it though The disciplinary system lacks & NVHS doesnt acknowledge any of its faults If you dont fit in you will be bullied or singled out So if you don't have a lot of nerve & confidence its really going to be an emotional experience Its up to the student to pass or fail on their own it's not that NVHS is a bad or good school its just that it offers 2 different extremes at once You can be really bad or you can be really good the happy medium isnt happy Its not like other schools if you ask around our city and you mention NVHS as your school kids and even adults know it's on the lower end of schools in the Reno/Sparks area But some how most students like the bad reputation

Posted February 8, 2011

I am appaled at the behavior of the girls varsity basketball head coach !! Every year he seems to have a select few players that he likes to "BULLY" for the season,this year was my daugters turn. What kind of "MONSTER" Blames the loss of a game on a single player and continues to ridicule her in the locker room in front of the whole team. I have NEVER....in all my years playing and being around sports have I EVER heard of such behavior from any one on a coaching staff !!! We send our children to school to be taught and nurtured by adults that we believe in and trust,not to be BULLIED and ridiculed by them !!! This is only the tip of the iceburg on this topic.

Posted August 2, 2010

This school is what you make it, you can be one who wants to learn or who doesnt where ever you go trouble makers will be trouble makers, and kids that wanna learn will learn... So give up on giving my school a bad name cause IT is a good school and will soon have the Rep it needs and deserves!!!!!

Posted March 7, 2010

I went to NVHS. The school is awful. If reading this prior to sending a child to this school, dont. There are a few teachers that are the greatest, but most are very rude. I agree with a previous post, the cliques are very segregated. All of the kids that attend the school are quite rude and are not easy to get along with. The disciplin is very out of order. They do not know how to keep track of punishments and will punish you if you are even hanging around the trouble maker. Judgements are held very strongly by whom you associate with. Teachers will dislike you right from the start because they know your siblings or friends, it is very unprofessional. . NVHS offers many Advanced Placement classes other schools dont. The late policies also keep the kids on time.

Posted February 7, 2010

Im a student at NVHS and its not great or bad. Im in the honors program and yeah it is great, but grades either depend if your consistent or not. The teachers kind of just let you do your thing, like if you want to learn then theyll help, but if you dont they wont bother. Breaks are boring. Not much school spirit or activities. We had our FIRST pep rally last september. Needs to be more of those. Very segregated cliques. Honors teachers are very helpful..dont know about the regulars. I have a friend in a regular english class that has watched Remember The Titans in class more than 5 times. Take that as you will.

Posted September 19, 2009

I'm last years Student Body President, North Valleys is not a bad school. It is a newer school, which everyone needs to realize. They are working on building tradtions of their own and getting into the swing of things. Yes, there are problems with fights at that school i will admit but like a parent mentioned previously all schools in washoe county struggle with the issue of fighting. Mrs. Gifford is a wonderful principal and really does have the students best interest at heart, she took the time to listen to me whenever i needed her to and helped me with anything she could. As the school progresses in maturity things will fall into place, and they have already taken a lot of great strives to change the education students recieve there. I loved North Valleys, and high school is all about what you make it.

Posted September 15, 2009

This school is tremendous, the best ever! My kids love going to this school. The principal is a little bit standoffish, but who cares! My kids are getting an outstanding education and the sports are the best. As far as test scores, North Valleys is tied for the highest in the city! This school is awesome!

Posted April 17, 2009

I am very dissatisfied with this school. I have had three children attend this school and each year it goes down hill. The administration wants to blame it on the fact these kids are poor, well, our family isn't poor. We choose to live in the N. Valleys because of the solitude. My daughter graduates this year and we are glad to be out. When they change the principal then changes will be for the best. The troubled kids need to be held accountable for their distructiveness to the school and their peers. Lord help the rest of the kids here.

Posted January 15, 2009

I am a parent, who has had two children go to North Valleys. I have a very mixed view. My oldest son went there when the school was just opened, he played sports and did very well in school. There have been fights at that school since day one, but show me one school in Washoe County or any county where there are no fights, even some of the private schools in town have fights. My younger son also went to North Valleys, now he is extremely intellegent, and quite frankly the teachers couldn't challenge him enough and we ended up enrolling him in TMCC High School his senior year. As for recommending this school, yes I would. But my advise for any parent is to stay involved and to communicate with your child and their teachers. I will be having two more of my children attending NVHS.

Posted December 14, 2008

I am currently a freshman at NVHS 2008-2009. I am really pleased with the teachers because they actually care about the students and want to provide them with a good learning experience. The school definitely needs to work out some issues with fights and clique-ish students. Besides that, NVHS is a good school.

Posted August 4, 2008

As the parent of a 2008 Graduate I have mixed feelings towards NVHS. Teachers in most cases are good and truly like what they do, but many are young and inexperienced and the really good ones don't seem to stay around long. Turnover seems really high. Mrs. G needs to take a serious look at the way she runs things and figure out why her staff and students are unhappy. Admin. does not seem to gel well with the staff, I witnessed turmoil and frustration often. AP program is not worth the costs of the testing. The AP kids are not consistenly scoring well enough on the tests to earn college credit. School spirit seems to have been on a steady decline as have student activities. Mrs. G wake up, sports and activities are important for moral. This school needs a sense of Pride.

Posted April 22, 2008

NVHS is an exceptional school in a low socio-economic area. It is one of the tougher Washoe population of students. Staff has worked hard to overcome both family and educational deficits. Instead of believing what you read from disgruntled anonomous parents who just vent come visit. We have been selected as a model school based on DATA. NVHS is presenting at the national conference, is a breaking ranks school which means we are leaders in academic support, standards and policies. Our students rock and have a very real shot at a wonderful future. You are welcome to come on over and see for yourself.

Posted March 28, 2008

i loved north valleys high school the moment i stepped into the hallways i am a member of the honors program and all my teachers set me up for success it is most certainly not as bad as everyone makes it out to be the only bad part of this school that i see is all the fighting but its just as bad as all the other schools people just over exaggerate the whole situation i for one really enjoy my time at this school

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 76% in 2013.

439 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2013.

438 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2013.

436 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2013.

429 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Nevada used the High School Proficiency Examination (HSPE) to assess high school students in reading, writing, math and science. The HSPE is a high school graduation requirement. The HSPE is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Nevada. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Source: Nevada Department of Education

Students with limited English proficiency25%
Proficient in English82%
Not migrant79%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Nevada Department of Education; if there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Nevada Department of Education

Asian 3% 6%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 40%N/A50%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

Health & athletics

• Access to sports fields

Fax number
  • (775) 677-5497

Staff resources available to students
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options

Performing arts
  • Dance
  • Drama
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1470 East Golden Valley Rd