Damonte Ranch High School

Public | 9-12 & ungraded | 1299 students

Sweep tile

Posted January 19, 2012

I attended Damonte Ranch the first semester of my freshman year and really just found the place to be nothing more than mediocre. The teachers are overwhelmed with students and often have trouble controlling the class. I took honors courses and all of my classes had anywhere from 30 to 40 students. The school also has too much invested in their athletes. For example, all football players were in honors level classes. and a good portion just contributed to the chaos. Furthermore, I know that the education here is subpar regardless of what they tell you. I've moved around the country my entire life and Damonte doesn't teach what the other high schools do. For example, we spent two months in an honors english class memorizing "words commonly confused". These words include all ready vs. already as well as to vs. too, ect. Overall however, I don't think it's fair to blame all of this on the school it was the kids not caring or applying themselves too. Overall, Damonte has friendly kids and nice teachers class time is mostly spent handling obnoxious kids or reviewing elementary concepts. Scholars, stay away.

Posted November 16, 2011

Damonte is a good school, I had graduated with the class of 2011 and had been there since 8th grade. All the teachers for the most part were really good teachers, they expected you to try and work for the grade that you earn, if you need extra help they have IC time to go to your class for help, also there was always the counseling office that would help to figuring out problems that I came across. There were also a lot of tutoring sessions available to the students that needed help, and the information and sign up was found through the councilors. Through experience the more involved my parents were with my high school career by calling my counselor if they had questions about what was going on it helped the administration to see who really wanted to be there to learn and who was being there because they had to. Use the resources that this school has available, I mean there is a Career Center for a reason. The CC became my best friend my senior year, also realize that they more respectful that the students are to the teachers the less likely they are to be kicked out. This includes being prepared for binder checks, and any other assignments.

Posted February 20, 2011

I really, really want this school to go back to the way it was! It was the most perfect school and I loved it but now I'm not loving it so much and everyone and I mean everyone, says that they can't wait to leave this school. Is this what you want us students thinking of Damonte? Please Damonte, just do something good again. I really miss the way the school used to be :( And again... help us succeed and not push us down with all the new USELESS rules. I can tell you, they are not helping us, you don't need to be mean and rude to students and parents to make us do what you want... The staff needs to grow up and BE RESPONSIBLE. Educate, empower, inspire is our motto... sure were being educated but were are most certainly not empowered and what is there to be inspired by? Absolutely nothing.

Posted July 2, 2010

I found that DRHS is when you child is good, however, if child needs help or encouragement they will push them out. My child needed extra support, his test score were very high (exceeded expectations), but his homework and classwork were bad and the teachers wrote him off, yelled at him (teachers should never raise their voices at students) and then just pushed him out. They recommended he go to a more appropriate school like ICDA charter school. I don't recommend this school.

Posted June 21, 2010

I went here since the seventh grade. Even though I didn't think much of the school, for being a new school the staff tried to make the students experience a good one. They did a lot of things for the seniors, and there was a large amount of pride in the students and staff. The teachers expected more out of its students than other schools. If I were to recommend any schools to go to in Washoe County it would be Damonte Ranch or Galena.

Posted June 1, 2010

This is a good school, but some of the teachers make learning not that fun (mostly languages). We don't understand and get yelled at because of it. One binder check took my grade down a whole letter. When i ask for help she says too bad. I told my IC teacher and was told "I'm busy". I really thought that class was for helping you with grades but it just turned out to be a waste of the day.

Posted May 6, 2010

Without question the WORST high school curriculum I've ever seen. In Biology, they watched Wall-E and wrote a poem about ecology. They also had a DNA lab- where they made bead bracelets. The biggest project they've had all year was a 1 page report about a disease plus a poster board with pictures. The history teacher has been absent for over 20 days in the past 3 months and all they do is sit around and have 'discussions.' My son has less than 2 hours of homework PER WEEK. They have a class called IC- 45 minutes where they are supposed study or make up work. Most of the kids just sit around and talk. In his English class, their only assignment for the past 3 months is independent reading with a 6-paragraph reading log for each book. No grammar, no language development, and almost no critical writing.

Posted October 4, 2009

Because my Grandson went there and did well with the help of good teachers and councilors

Posted October 1, 2009

Excellent School with Great Parents. More then a school, a great partner in community.

Posted August 27, 2009

obviously, the parents who post bad comments about this school are completely unaware of how their children really act in school. If you have a good kid, they will do good here because they are willing to learn, but if your kid is lazy and a bad student, they will not succeed. As for the teachers being 'bad', the only reason your child is not succeeding is because they disrespected them, and don't get the respect back.

Posted April 28, 2009

Damonte Ranch HS is the only school in the entire state that I would go to, even if I had the choice. We have a great staff, and many of the students are hardworking. we have amazing administators, and the best band program in the entire city!

Posted March 5, 2009

I am a student for damonte ranch and i love the school because all of the teachers try their best to help us!!!

Posted February 25, 2009

This is by far the best school that I have been associated with in Reno. I have 3 children; one in elementary school, one in middle school, and one high school student. The school has caring teachers and a responsive administration, and takes care of discipline issues quickly and efficiently. There is much to offer students in academics, drama, dance, sports and more. Academics are placed at the top; however, because students are not allowed to participate in extra-curricular activities if their grades are failing.

Posted November 18, 2008

this school is amazing I went to this school and I love it i wish i could go back DRHS is the best high school to send your children to go to the best.

Posted November 7, 2008

We have 2 children at DRHS, middle school and high school . Parents need to take responsibility for their children education. They need to be a part of their child's everyday life at school. We work full time but still find time to support and be a part of our kids education. I find that the teachers are quick to respond every time I have contacted them. We love DRHS and our children have been very successful there. We have a college bound senior this year. Educating our children is a very difficult task, but we feel DRHS has been a great partner and a great environment for our teens. Our oldest child was in a private high school. We feel DRHS is just as good as the private schools. It is not perfect, no school is, but we feel DRHS is a very good school.

Posted November 5, 2008

damonte is one of my favorite schools the teachers are nice and so are the kids

Posted October 1, 2008

This is truly a great school. My children have attended since 7th grade and are juniors this year.

Posted July 9, 2008

I dont like how the schools are combined . . . it is a bad evironment for the us, particularly at our age group. . . it makes us nervous and not liking school very much. . .

Posted February 23, 2008

Damonte is a wonderful school and it provides a great learning enviorment for all the students to stay focused. Our school is also wonderful since while in the process of helping each student become sucessful, they also get involved with us. My first years at Damonte has been great and i hope to stay longer.

Posted January 24, 2008

I really do not recommend that your children or anyones children attend this school. The teachers and staff clearly do not care about us, or what we think. .

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 76% in 2013.

340 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 80% in 2013.

341 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 76% in 2013.

331 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2013.

337 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Nevada used the High School Proficiency Examination (HSPE) to assess high school students in reading, writing, math and science. The HSPE is a high school graduation requirement. The HSPE is a standards-based test, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Nevada. The goal is for all students to score at or above the state standard.

Source: Nevada Department of Education

Students without disabilities91%
Proficient in English88%
Not migrant86%
Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

The different student groups are identified by the Nevada Department of Education; if there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group in a school, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: Nevada Department of Education

Asian 6% 6%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 27%N/A50%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Dance teacher(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

Performing and written arts
  • Dance

Health & athletics

• Access to sports fields

• Dance teacher(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options

Arts & music

Performing arts
  • Dance
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

10500 Rio Wrangler Parkway