9-12 & Ungraded
Reno, NV
Students enrolled: 1,375

Posted January 19, 2012
I attended Damonte Ranch the first semester of my freshman year and really just found the place to be nothing more than mediocre. The teachers are overwhelmed with students and often have trouble controlling the class. I took honors courses and all of my classes had anywhere from 30 to 40 students. The school also has too much invested in their athletes. For example, all football players were in honors level classes. and a good portion just contributed to the chaos. Furthermore, I know that the education here is subpar regardless of what they tell you. I've moved around the country my entire life and Damonte doesn't teach what the other high schools do. For example, we spent two months in an honors english class memorizing "words commonly confused". These words include all ready vs. already as well as to vs. too, ect. Overall however, I don't think it's fair to blame all of this on the school it was the kids not caring or applying themselves too. Overall, Damonte has friendly kids and nice teachers class time is mostly spent handling obnoxious kids or reviewing elementary concepts. Scholars, stay away.

Posted November 16, 2011
Damonte is a good school, I had graduated with the class of 2011 and had been there since 8th grade. All the teachers for the most part were really good teachers, they expected you to try and work for the grade that you earn, if you need extra help they have IC time to go to your class for help, also there was always the counseling office that would help to figuring out problems that I came across. There were also a lot of tutoring sessions available to the students that needed help, and the information and sign up was found through the councilors. Through experience the more involved my parents were with my high school career by calling my counselor if they had questions about what was going on it helped the administration to see who really wanted to be there to learn and who was being there because they had to. Use the resources that this school has available, I mean there is a Career Center for a reason. The CC became my best friend my senior year, also realize that they more respectful that the students are to the teachers the less likely they are to be kicked out. This includes being prepared for binder checks, and any other assignments.

Damonte Ranch High School 4

Posted February 20, 2011
I really, really want this school to go back to the way it was! It was the most perfect school and I loved it but now I'm not loving it so much and everyone and I mean everyone, says that they can't wait to leave this school. Is this what you want us students thinking of Damonte? Please Damonte, just do something good again. I really miss the way the school used to be :( And again... help us succeed and not push us down with all the new USELESS rules. I can tell you, they are not helping us, you don't need to be mean and rude to students and parents to make us do what you want... The staff needs to grow up and BE RESPONSIBLE. Educate, empower, inspire is our motto... sure were being educated but were are most certainly not empowered and what is there to be inspired by? Absolutely nothing.

Damonte Ranch High School 1

Posted July 02, 2010
I found that DRHS is when you child is good, however, if child needs help or encouragement they will push them out. My child needed extra support, his test score were very high (exceeded expectations), but his homework and classwork were bad and the teachers wrote him off, yelled at him (teachers should never raise their voices at students) and then just pushed him out. They recommended he go to a more appropriate school like ICDA charter school. I don't recommend this school.

Posted June 21, 2010
I went here since the seventh grade. Even though I didn't think much of the school, for being a new school the staff tried to make the students experience a good one. They did a lot of things for the seniors, and there was a large amount of pride in the students and staff. The teachers expected more out of its students than other schools. If I were to recommend any schools to go to in Washoe County it would be Damonte Ranch or Galena.

Posted June 01, 2010
This is a good school, but some of the teachers make learning not that fun (mostly languages). We don't understand and get yelled at because of it. One binder check took my grade down a whole letter. When i ask for help she says too bad. I told my IC teacher and was told "I'm busy". I really thought that class was for helping you with grades but it just turned out to be a waste of the day.

Posted May 06, 2010
Without question the WORST high school curriculum I've ever seen. In Biology, they watched Wall-E and wrote a poem about ecology. They also had a DNA lab- where they made bead bracelets. The biggest project they've had all year was a 1 page report about a disease plus a poster board with pictures. The history teacher has been absent for over 20 days in the past 3 months and all they do is sit around and have 'discussions.' My son has less than 2 hours of homework PER WEEK. They have a class called IC- 45 minutes where they are supposed study or make up work. Most of the kids just sit around and talk. In his English class, their only assignment for the past 3 months is independent reading with a 6-paragraph reading log for each book. No grammar, no language development, and almost no critical writing.

Posted October 04, 2009
Because my Grandson went there and did well with the help of good teachers and councilors

Posted October 01, 2009
Excellent School with Great Parents. More then a school, a great partner in community.

Posted August 27, 2009
obviously, the parents who post bad comments about this school are completely unaware of how their children really act in school. If you have a good kid, they will do good here because they are willing to learn, but if your kid is lazy and a bad student, they will not succeed. As for the teachers being 'bad', the only reason your child is not succeeding is because they disrespected them, and don't get the respect back.

10500 Rio Wrangler Parkway, Reno, NV  89511
Last modified Damonte Ranch High School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Damonte Ranch High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 34 reviews. Top