Amherst, NH

Posted September 09, 2014
excellent system prepare students for the next steps in their education. very pleased with the system and teacher interaction with students

Posted June 23, 2014
Great school, my daughter has excellent memories and has done very well professionally. She has made us proud.

Posted May 13, 2014
For parents who are new to the area, I just wanted to inform you about how incredibly terrible this school is. The education provided at this school is so bad it defies belief. 1. The students are incredibly unmotivated due to the layed back atmosphere. 2. There is a large drug influence here. 3. There is also very little done to prepare these kids for college in terms of studying habits, writing skills, etc. 4. The teachers are hard to reach and often will not stay after school to help the kids (with the exception of the AP program which is actually reasonably good) 5. The courses available are lacking, for instance in a day and age where computers are so important, you would think they would have at least one computer programming class. These are just some of the things that are bad about this school. I am glad I took my kid out and transferred him to a private school. He is much happier their and has a much better environment. Please, do not send your kids here if you care about them at all!

Posted May 13, 2014
This school is absolutely terrible. The bullying is horrendous there. I can't believe that they don't to a better job punishing the bullies...

Posted May 10, 2014
For parents moving to town, you will hear a lot of mixed messaging about Souhegan. This stems from the progressive nature of the school. It's part of the Coalition of Essential Schools, which stresses a curriculum centered on "learning to use one's mind well". The town has not ranked on the US New and World Report ranking because we are eliminated on first pass due to a low level of English as second language learners and free lunch students. Ultimately, Amherst is a well-to-do town and student graduate from Souhegan immensely prepared for college. The high school does a great job in creating an environment where the students must learn to push themselves rather than the traditional method of pushing the kids themselves. This prepares them very well for college and the workforce when you need to become self-motivated. All three of our sons were extremely well prepared, their friends were too and the community has been consistently supportive of education as Amherst has a very well educated and successful population. Souhegan is a model for what other schools are trying to become as we strive to create 21st century schools in an increasingly complex and modern world.

Posted April 27, 2014
This is the worst and most poorly run schools I have ever been too. It makes Bishop Guertin look amazing by comparison. You do not want to send your kids here. This school will leave a bad taste in their mouth for education. It certainly has for me. If only I had stayed at BG... They lie about their test scores and the success of many of their programs, about their dropout rate and their test scores. They say that there has only been only one dropout within the last four years but I know of at 3 just last year. The test scores are abysmal, the colleges the kids get accepted at are not impressive. The programs they run such as special education are not successful, they just buy excessive amounts of electronic equipment such as netbooks and ipads just to waste them to allow people to play games and surf the internet. There is no oversight of the kids there. Another example is the lack of after school help for many of their classes. Many of the teachers are not very dedicated and will leave school as soon as it ends. Even in AP classes, their are very little help for the students. I wish I had more room to explain how bad this school really is. You really have to go to understand...

Posted November 19, 2013
We have had 3 kids attend Souhegan (one still there) and we love the school. All 3 of our kids are have different learning styles, and different personalities. All 3 have thrived. The level of respect and caring there is unprecedented. Students like going to school there, which is probably why they have a zero dropout rate. That says a lot, after all, is about the students. My 2 older ones felt very prepared for college - more so than their friends or roommates - in particular when it came to public speaking and projects. I rated the school a little lower on parent involvement because, like most high schools there isn't a lot of opportunity to get involved. However, there is good communication with parents.

Posted February 02, 2013
Again, if your student is an exceptional athlete or an AP student this is a great school. For the rest, good luck.

Posted October 09, 2010
Graduates of Souhegan are well prepared for college and life after college.

Posted February 17, 2010
My daughter graduated in 2009 and we have a junior there now and another starting next year. We really like the school. My daughter did very well in her college applications and loves where she is now. She told us that SHS prepared her very well for college in that she is self motivated and had some skills (ex. presentation) that many of the other students did not have.

Souhegan Coop High School
412 Boston Post Rd, Amherst, NH  03031
Last modified Souhegan Coop High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Souhegan Coop High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 36 reviews. Top