Mckelvie Intermediate School 3

Posted November 02, 2011
Having come from a less advantaged district just in time to start our daughter in the 5th grade, we had high hopes for McKelvie. While she certainly had a fun two years and made a lot of friends, I wouldn't say they were the most educational two years. She had a couple very good teachers and we were pleased with the administration, but in terms of the school's overall educational mission. there seemed to be more emphasis on fun than learning; we saw quite a few firsthand examples of lost learning opportunities at school events and field trips we participated in. It was also unfortunate to see the obvious impact of school budget and union matters on some teachers' attitudes. Understandably they need to make a living and we support that, but we thought it could have been handled more professionally by some. While McKelvie is by no means whatsoever a bad school, we hope Lurgio Middle School will do a little more to justify the Bedford School District's reputation.

Mckelvie Intermediate School 1

Posted June 12, 2011
Everyday Math has landed my daughter in tutoring along with a few of her peers. Let's not pretend as if this math is GOOD. It's lousy and we all know it. Luckily my son worked himself through that program because we all know parents have no idea how to help these kids. I showed this math program to my father who is a career Engineer and he was horrified. Look on the web at the criticisms of this program, there's plenty. No I'm not a happy parent because I'm paying someone to offer a good curriculum for my kids and now I have to pay a tutor to educate them. God bless the teachers, they are wonderful however they will tell you privately this program is for the birds!

Posted June 11, 2011
This is a great school! I am a student currently at McKelvie, and I beg your pardon, but we are most certainly not "upper-class snots", thank you very much. We aren't really upper class, as we just had to lose some teachers due to budget cuts in the district. The classes are fun, teachers are great, students behave. I hope you will send your children to Bedford, as we will welcome them with open arms. -A Student from McKelvie (grade 6)

Mckelvie Intermediate School 4

Posted May 03, 2011
This is a great School and the principal is so nice. All of the teachers are very nice and it is so pleasant here

Posted May 03, 2011
Both of my children had wonderful experiences here. Teachers were wonderful and principal was a leader for his teachers and listened to parents and students.

Mckelvie Intermediate School 2

Posted May 28, 2009
We moved here from out of state about 6 months ago. We are finding the people/teachers to be WONDERFUL. My kids love the teachers however I find that the students are behind academically. My children were in a private school and are far ahead of their peers in Bedford. We are now considering going back to private schools for next year. I don't think Bedford parents realize their students are behind children in private schools.

Posted May 27, 2009
This is one of the best schools in NH. It exceeds many private shools. However, there should be less emphasis on games and 'sports' and more on the arts including dance, music, and art. I am proud to send my tax dollars here.

Posted April 24, 2009
Both of my boys attend. I have one is 5th & one in 6th. Although I do not understand the math program my kids are excelling with this program. All testing is testing them above all state averages. I am thrilled with the staff, education and activities that is afforded to them because of teacher volunteers. Simply amazing.

Posted February 05, 2009
McKelvie is an excellent intermediate school. The staff is dynamic and energetic, and the offerings for students are commendable. The curriculum is challenging, and the school district in general is outstanding - offering the best of technology and demanding the best from students. Don't listen to those nay-sayers who complain about the math. Everyday Math is a University of Chicago brainchild that is being used in the best of school districts all over the country. Those who criticize haven't done their homework, or don't wish to be involved in the daily math work their children require to become intuitive math students. The PowerSchool portal for parents makes parent-teacher communications so easy and immediate. It is the best school and school district in New Hampshire from what I can see (and I'm an educator from another district).

Mckelvie Intermediate School 1

Posted January 27, 2009
I just read a review regarding Peter Woodbury and the math used there and at McKelvie. My nieces received a great education at Bedford years ago, however I'm seeing changes like the math that are not good for my son. I just read a review of the Bedford math and it looks bad. I had my concerns and now they are confirmed. Why can't they simply teach these subjects the old fashioned way. The way that WORKED!

Mckelvie Intermediate School
108 Liberty Hill Rd, Bedford, NH  03110
Last modified Mckelvie Intermediate School is a Public school that serves grades 5-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mckelvie Intermediate School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top