Portsmouth Christian Academy

Private | PK-12 | 624 students

Living in Dover

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $196,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,140.

Sweep tile

Posted April 10, 2014

Have you ever been to a school where the kids are genuinely happy; where the love of learning is so evident you just don't want to leave? The community feeling I get, as a parent, everytime I walk into this school gives me chills. Parents, students, and teachers come together in a way like nothing I have witnessed in other schools. This is the 4th school my children have attended, and we will do anything we can to keep them here until they graduate. The life lessons and relationships they are building are priceless. PCA keeps them challenged academically and continuously works with them building character through retreats, chapels, small groups, missions trips, and community service projects. The schools size offers them multiple extracurricular activies including sports, drama, academic competition, and much more. I cannot recommend PCA enough.

Posted December 19, 2013

We pulled our 2 boys out of Portsmouth Public schools because the curriculum was incredibly poor! They are half way through their first year at PCA and they are so happy there! on wis in Jr high and the other is elementary. We are a Christian family and are so happy with how they are growing in their faith and knowledge of the Bible. The academics are great! They are challenged in every way. We are very happy with everything. Our boys love it and never want to go back to public, they know they are getting a much better education than their public school friends.

Posted November 11, 2013

From the dedicated staff and faculty to the administration and volunteers, this place is excellent. The teachers CARE about their students. Students are challenged to work to their potential maximizing the gifts they have been given. What a deal PCA is!

Posted November 8, 2013

This is our 10th year at PCA! My oldest child started in kindergarten and my other two started in preschool. My oldest is now in high school. Their years at PCA have been such a tremendous blessing. All of my children love this school and have a love of learning thanks to the wonderful teachers and staff who are so caring and committed to helping each child discover their gifts and succeed.

Posted October 24, 2013

Our daughter is in her 3rd year at the Lower School, and we could not be happier with PCA. We've been so pleased by the quality of teachers, their warmth and kindness, and their eagerness to help our daughter thrive. The administration communicates with parents in a timely and articulate manner, and we're impressed by the excellence with which every program and event is run. We are grateful to have this exemplary school in our community.

Posted October 24, 2013

Small class room and outstanding teacher!! I am so amaze of the quality of the education and how they handle learning/behavior challenges.

Posted October 17, 2013

My family moved to the Seacoast region almost ten years ago in order to attend PCA. We are so glad that we did! We love the school! As one of the other reviewers said, I'm not sure where some of the negative comments are coming from. PCA can't respond online to some of the complaining families because of student confidentiality-- I would caution readers that there are always two sides to every story. My own children are safe and loved at the school, have had wonderful teachers, and are challenged academically. PCA has won the state championship in math for the past two years, is the state's reigning Quiz Bowl champion (even beating Phillips Exeter and St. Thomas!) and has some of the highest SAT scores in New England. To say that PCA is sub par academically is ludicrous and unfounded. We're so glad that we've been able to be part of the school these past 10 years and are looking forward to another 10 years!

Posted September 20, 2013

PCA a fantastic school! I have two students in the Upper School. Both are taking Honors and AP classes. As a family, we couldn't be happier with the academics and college preparation our kids are getting here. GO EAGLES!!!!!

Posted September 20, 2013

We are extremely pleased with the level of communication from school to home. PCA emphasizes and values school/family relationships! Looking forward to a great year ahead!

Posted September 19, 2013

I m very surprised by the negative comments about PCA. My children have attended 3 separate Christian Schools in the seacoast area. One of their schools closed and another school was not academically challenging. My children transferred several years ago, and we have been extremely happy ever since. My oldest child is now in college and is doing very well. She scored very well on her SAT scores and was the recipient of enough scholarship money that her first year of school was reduced by 50%. She was not a writer when she first started attending PCA. PCA was instrumental to her growth; she received a 10 out of a possible 12 on her written portion of the SAT test, and scored a 4 on her AP test. I'm happy she doesn't have to take English as a freshman in college. My son is still attending PCA and I'm grateful for the wonderful supportive teachers that have dedicated so much of themselves to my children. As to the Christian aspect, my children and family have never seen any behavior that was not "Christ like". Extremely blessed to be a part of the PCA community!

Posted March 26, 2013

As with all schools, some people will be happy, others will not. Our family is very happy with both the quality of education that PCA provides as well as the Christian atmosphere. We were not looking for a school to take the place of the church or the family in terms of teaching our children the bible. However, the teachers at PCA integrate biblical principals and moral values in all they do as well as concentrate on various books of the bible according to grade level. Our children are well adjusted, challenged and happy at PCA. PCA works hard to accelerate gifted children, allowing them to move forward in Math and other areas. PCA offers an extensive fine arts program and athletic opportunities. It is a joy to be part of the PCA community.

Posted February 6, 2013

Horrible school. Scholastically the curriculum does not prepare students for college and the "spiritual" side is plagued with hypocrisy and judgement. We sent our children there and promptly pulled them out. Do not waste your money. Go to St. Thomas as it is a much more superior school.

Posted February 5, 2012

We are practicing Catholics who absolutely love Portsmouth Christian Academy. Portsmouth Christian Academy is a blessing to our family. As parents, we are extremely pleased with the school. The faculty is committed to the personal growth in knowledge and faith for every student. The teachers are kind and understanding; you can feel the love in the school the minute you walk through the door. Our two sons love their school and the teachers that make it so special. We are grateful that our children have the opportunity to attend a school that they love and where the love of Jesus is present.

Posted September 19, 2011

I was raised with a Catholic education all of my scholastic life. Never ever in my life have I ever seen such un-Christian and hypocritical behavior from a community that prides itself in living in the "spirit of Jesus' teachings" Instead of ministering to students who need them at any given moment, they are quick to kick out students and abandon them. They should be ashamed of themselves. Sending our children there was a huge waste of our time and money. Disgusting, judgmental and false is what they are.

Posted March 17, 2011

The teachers in the lower school are underpaid, several are barely qualified to teach, and the leadership is downright strange, almost robotic. They are all about the money. Don't be fooled by their self proclaimed love of children...its all about the money. They wany your investment, yet time and again, they will not invest in the children nor are they committed to helping the kids that need a little extra attention.

Posted October 12, 2010

The teachers are very caring!

Posted July 6, 2010

My three children attended PCA for only one year because we moved out of state. I must say I was so pleased with the teachers and students, They all had wonderful years and met great friends that will last them a lifetime. I highly recommend this school! It was a true blessing for my children to be here. As far as the last comment, they only moved the graduation by 30 minutes. Being in the state championships is an opportunity that doesn't come around very often in smaller private schools.(by the way they won!) I was very understanding and was blown away by the graduation ceremony! The key note speaker was incredible! My daughter couldn't of been prouder than to graduate from this school. I pray God's blessings on PCA.

Posted June 24, 2010

Beautiful campus, some wonderful teachers, but be very careful! Nepotism reigns at PCA for school board members' children and family members and there isn't anything you can do about it! You cannot address the school board, in fact they are MIA. The Head of School works for the school board and he is not even a little bit helpful or interested. PCA is expensive for the education received, and Christian values never supercede the "almighty" dollar from our experiences. This year, for example, they changed the time for the high school graduation to accomodate a baseball game. VERY disappointing. We will not return.

Posted June 6, 2010

PCA is as it says a Christian school which encourages the people to be loving--as Jesus is. The school has excellent sports, library, science, and art programs. The school has a research program that starts around 2nd gr. that helps the children to learn to write and do coherent interesting research projects. There are also interesting hands on projects going on throughout the year. My 2 boys have enjoyed it there a lot--as much as 2 busy boys can enjoy being inside or away from their computers! The school library has helped keep them interested in reading when their interest was starting to flag. I appreciate knowing I will be told if something in the upcoming teaching might cause some concern for some parents. I'm responsible for my kid's education so I'm glad PCA is there to help work with me.

Posted January 18, 2010

PCA has so many problems we took our elementary children out in Decemnber. The headmaster is wonderful but the teachers and principal are too rigid. Lots of homework that is busy work, not valuable content. The academics are sub par (my oldest daughter went through Catholic schools and received a superb education). It's so dissapointing because the campus is beautiful, the teachers need more education themselves on how to teach and discipline children effectively.

Asian 9% 2%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Christian
Associations
  • ACSI

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

20 Seaborne Dr