PK-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very ineffective (2 responses)

Posted January 19, 2016
I have two children at Saint Mary Academy. My oldest graduated from SMA and went on to Saint Thomas Aquinas. The transition was easy, and he would tell you it was because his teachers at SMA taught him well. Not only was he prepared academically, but he was also taught good time management and organizational skills which were critical to his success in high school. My oldest daughter’s two favorite classes are science and history. When I asked her why she liked going to SMA she said it was because all the teachers are nice and they make class interesting. All my children are engaged and excited about their classwork because it has meaning for them. They are often doing projects which allow for creativity. When I asked my youngest what she liked best she said recess, lunch, and snack. Clearly, she is enjoying the social side of school! For me, the best part of SMA is the caring community. I know my children are not only learning academics at school, but more importantly to me, they are learning to be productive members of society with a focus not on themselves, but on giving and serving others. My husband feels SMA is an excellent investment in our children’s future. We send our children to SMA because we value the support they provide in helping us raise caring, thoughtful, hardworking, and creative children. For my family, SMA is the perfect fit.

Posted November 17, 2015
My children have been at St. Mary Academy for 8 years and I have to say I am shocked by the last review. The "teacher" mentioned is one of our favorites. My daughter enjoys her tremendously and, from a parent’s standpoint, I think she is fabulous. I personally like a teacher who is kind and loving, but also isn't afraid to be firm and sets expectations she knows the children can achieve. Academically, I couldn't be more thrilled with SMA. I feel my children are challenged, given a fair amount of homework, taught excellent organizational skills and pushed to do their best while being kind, respectful and caring individuals. Its focus on community service and “caring for others” is a stand-out, signature quality the school has that we just love. A few weeks ago, our community was rocked by the death of a very active parent. The response from administration and every single teacher proved to me why my children are at SMA. My husband and I still say we can't get over how amazing they all were. Their compassion was second to none. They spoke to the children, helped them work through their feelings of shock, disbelief, sadness and fear. They cried along with the children, helped them to find joy in the beautiful memories and hope for the future. The school posted, "There are moments in life that change an individual, a family, a community. We had a few of those moments last week. What we have learned is that we are stronger together than we are apart. We are bonded in our faith, love and friendship. We will continue to count our blessings and find comfort from our losses in one another." Today, more than ever, I feel blessed that we walked into SMA nine years ago for a tour. What we have found is far more than a school. It is a community that feels more like family and has become a second home for us where our kids can be just that… kids.

St Mary Academy 2

Posted November 02, 2015
Bad teachers just get moved to different grades. Same bad teacher for 2nd, 4th and 6th. Same few parents running the school so their kids get special treatment. I can tell you who will star in play before auditions. After six years, glad to be gone.

Posted December 30, 2014
This is our child's second year of preK and are we blessed to have our child as a part of the SMA community. SMA provides a safe, nurturing & educational environment. It is amazing to see how much he has learned over the past two years. SMA is a small school. Teachers are caring & devoted to the well being of each and every child. As a worrier by nature, I am comforted by SMA's efforts to keep all children safe. (Outside doors are locked at all times, proper ID is checked for unfamiliar family members picking up kiddos, playground & teacher/kiddo ratios are appropriate, etc.) Our son LOVES going to school each day & he loves his teachers. There s a healthy balance of structure, play & socialization within the classrooms. School-wide community is encouraged (i.e. Thanksgiving Feast, holiday movies, cookies & cocoa at Christmas time, Halloween parade, etc). PreK is a small community in which teachers, families & kiddos are family. Parents volunteer in classrooms, families/friends attend classroom Christmas concerts, etc. Last year the preK kiddos & teachers even organized a school-wide art show...an AMAZING display of the hard work and abilities of our wee ones. We love SMA!

St Mary Academy 1

Posted December 06, 2014
This is my review of the preschool, which I hope will be helpful as it will be the only review of that particular program, which I wish I had had before enrolling my daughter. There is zero communication. None. When you drop them off, the teachers just welcome them in. When it is time to go home, the parents aren't even allowed inside. We stay on the sidewalk and the teachers send the kids out the door one by one without a single word. The only time they ever talk to me is when my daughter has had a bad day (i.e. hasn't listened and followed directions). They send "weekly updates" periodically but not every week, and all they do is tell what the letter of the week will be and a couple small activities. They also do not go outside every day. Even if it is not raining, they will stay in if it rained the night before or the ground is damp. They do not do any field trips. I learned the other day that they don't even let the kids play with/look under rocks. Overall I am disappointed. We are currently looking at other preschools because this school has been so disappointing. If you are considering SMA for your child's preschool, I strongly suggest that you look elsewhere first.

Posted January 14, 2014
Saint Mary Academy has been a breath of fresh air for our family. Character, values, morals, and important life skills are something I value very highly when sending my children off to spend the majority of their time away from home. Challenging academics and small class sizes are also something you can't beat when entrusting your children's education to a school.

Posted February 06, 2013
Both of my children have had a WONDERFUL experience at SMA. The teachers are fabulous! I notice (not just in my kids) but in other children that attend, remarkable care and compassion and respect for other people. The class sizes are small, which is ALWAYS better. One thing that has always stuck with me since we first visited the school is the middle school kids don't have lockers. Why? There is no need! Stealing is not an issue. The kids just put their backpacks and belongings in their assigned spaces and it's not even thought of that someone would disprespect that. Saint Mary Academy is a wonderful, safe, and healthy learning environment and I have no doubt that my children will have the tools they need to become individuals of character.

Posted January 29, 2013
SMA is an amazing school! We are new to the school and have nothing but great things to say about this school! The principle is amazing and has made us feel like we are part of the family from day 1! Every person we have encounter has been more than welcoming and made us feel at home! This school has a very strong sense of community! On top of a great education this school teaches self respect and how to treat others with respect. The school embraces technology and keeping up with the times! The teachers are amazing! Moving to this school has been a welcome change for our family and the best descision we have made! We love it and our child loves going to school every day!

Posted December 22, 2012
It is important to note that SMA is under the leadership of a different Principal as of Sept 2012. This was a much needed change, as the former principal was not a strong leader and had little interest in the school/teachers/students/parents. SMA is a fantastic school! The teachers and administration are so loving and have a true interest in your child's wellbeing. I feel my children are not only growing academically but also as human beings. The school teaches self respect, respect for others, and community involvement. And SMA expects no less from all students and attending families. This isn't a school for slackers or parents that don't want to be involved. SMA feels like family. Every child should be blessed to be able to attend a school like SMA.

Posted September 01, 2012
This is our 9th year at Saint Mary Academy and we have multiple children attending. The values taught at SMA are a reinforcement of the values we teach at home- kindness, compassion, and academic prioritization. The last three years were difficult under the previous administration as the past principal was not the best fit for the school. However, upon her resignation, the school has completely changed from the inside out. The new principal works tirelessly to make this school a wonderful atmosphere for the children, faculty and staff. She has made difficult administrative decisions that have resulted in new faculty assignments and she has developed a strong repoire with the area Catholic high school, Diocese and community. The horizon has never looked so bright for SMA and I am excited that our family is part of it.

St Mary Academy