Horne Street School 5

Posted March 06, 2014
I can't say enough how much I love Horne Street School. I've had two children there for the past year & a half. The teachers have been very skilled, & responsive to both my kids' needs, & my own concerns. Our current teacher basically has an individual education plan for each child in her class. For example, she gives each student a separate weekly spelling test according to her own ability. So she challenges the children equally regardless of their level. The new principal, Mike McKenney, is enthusiastic and engaging. Most mornings he's at the front door greeting the children by name. There is an active parent/teacher group that organizes after-school sports, movie nights, halloween dances, etc. The building itself is clean, cheerful, & in good repair. Classrooms have smart boards, computers, flowers, & music. Kids sit in groups of 8 and help each other to learn. One comment noted the youth of the teachers. Personally, I find it refreshing to see younger faces along with seasoned pros. My first child attended a much higher-ranked district, but I found it difficult to be involved, & I received much less feedback from the teachers. Regardless of test scores, HSS is a 10.

Posted January 20, 2011
I am very happy and proud to be a HSS parent. The teachers are dedicated, hard working, caring people. The office staff are friendly and helpful, and the principal is a leader and a true lifelong learner. I believe in a community spirit in the schools and HSS has got it.

Horne Street School 3

Posted September 16, 2010
My son and daughter have gone to this school. Both have gotten a very good education from some caring teachers. Over the last 2 years though some of the experienced teachers have left the school to go to other Dover schools. The Principal has not seemed to fight for the children's education in getting resources for the kids. His last three teacher hires have all been straight out of college. There are only 2 teachers older than 40 years old now and if this principal keeps going on this pace the avarage age of the teachers won't be much higher than the elementary school students.

Posted September 16, 2009
My daughter recently started this school and has really enjoyed kindergarten so far. The teachers create a warm, educational, healthy environment for the students. The support staff is wonderful. The principal (in his 2nd year) has strived to improve student testing scores, morale and the general environment in this schoo. We look forward to a great year ahead!

Horne Street School 5

Posted February 12, 2008
Horne Street school is a great place for children. It's child friendly, all of the teachers are very nice and the education is great.This is a great place to have your children learn!

Posted September 04, 2007

Posted October 09, 2005
I have had 2 children go thru Horne Street School and both had been lucky to have great teachers. The staff is readily available and helpful. As to the fundraiser comments it is not pushed as much as much as that first grader may have made it sound. Door to door is not encouraged.Fundraising is needed, it is an unfortunate neccessity in this day of high costs. My kids are very proud to say they went to Horne Street.

Horne Street School 0

Posted October 04, 2005
My son started first grade this year and I was a little puzzled when my son came home with this packet of stuff to try and sell and began to tell me about if he sells alot he gets this prize. typically I don't think first graders should go out knocking on doors trying to sell products. I know some parents will take their kids stuff to work with them and sell it but where is the kids gratification of the kid who parents sell the stuff for the kid.

Horne Street School 1

Posted June 23, 2005
My granddaughter attended this school and they just about ruined her life. Asked them several times to test her they never did. Asked them to change her teacher they didn't. Had to take her out of Dover School System - now receiving the help she needed and trying to repair damage inflicted by Horne Street School.

Horne Street School
78 Horne St, Dover, NH  03820
Last modified Horne Street School is a Public school that serves grades K-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Horne Street School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 9 reviews. Top