Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)

Develops character: Strongly disagree

as long as you agree with everyone else, or are willing to pretend that you do you'll be silenced. The shool itself is a lie. The arts programming is horrible, the music program is basically guitar, they haven't done a theater production since i've been here, and the art teachers are part time. The only 'integrity' you need at cata is to be able to pretend you're friends with the principle. then you can do whatever you want.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

they're OK babysitters - at least for the kids that bother to come to school or stay in class. other than that, all they do is push hyper PC politics.

Amount of homework: Disagree

homework is really the only work that I do. Class work is a joke - instead of learning anything, you spend all you time talking about how to be PC and 'learning' that anything else is wrong.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

The teachers are so busy babysitting and comforting students that they really aren't given the opportunity to teach. Their job is to be the students friends, and not their teachers.

Amount of homework: Disagree

the classroom academic expectations are so low, with students walking out of classes to take breaks or visit friends, and no real standards that homework is really the only time that students have to actually learn.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Because CATA caters to emotionally needy and unstable students, and normal student ends up being marginalized. It is impossible to have any opinion or point of view that has any chance of offending the most sensitive person without getting in trouble for it.

CATA is basically a school for students that can't cope with a normal public school. They claim to be an arts school, but they're really just a place for kids that can't handle a normal social environment to hide. The art classes are OK, about the same as the arts classes in other schools, but they offer a lot less options for what to take.

CATA is designed for creative, enthusiastic, students. Every teacher at this school challenged me and made me think. We're a school of about 50 or 60 students per year, so we're a very close-knit community! Everyone is incredibly accepting and welcoming; I'm so grateful to have had this high school experience. The students are given a lot of independence, which teaches us responsibility that most people won't get from a traditional public school. The best advice I can give a incoming student is that you get from CATA what you put into it!

I attended Cocheco Arts and Technology Academy (CATA) for all four years of my high school education. I was originally intended to be a student of Somersworth High School, but found the education there unacceptable and the environment toxic. I fell in love with CATA after learning about it, and for once I felt that my education mattered to the teachers. They have more freedom in their curriculum and it really shows with their enthusiasm and interaction with students. I now to go to college for a degree in business, and I worried that going to an art and technology school would hurt my chances at being prepared and successful in college. During this first semester at college, my classes at CATA have proved without a doubt that it has prepared me for college and set me up for success in all my freshman classes. I have acquired helpful and needed skills that set me above some of the other students. Being in this small, nurturing community of CATA truly helped me grow as an individual and find confidence in myself and my work. I would not have come out this strong of a student in any other school and I have CATA to thank for changing my life. This is by far the most valuable education.

I attended CATA for three years of my high school career. CATA was a definite boost in my social life. The community here taught me to be more self confident and assertive. Still, CATA lacks a lot academically. Sometimes I regret going to CATA because I realise that it didn't challenge me academically in a traditional way, but at CATA I learned how to think critically, and I think that I am a better person for all of it.

Last modified Cocheco Arts And Technology Charter Academy is a Charter school that serves grades 9-12