Hanover High School 1

Posted November 14, 2014
Academically, not the best school. Very stressful- but it's only busywork, nothing important or difficult academically. The music program is quite good. They have some talented musicians, nothing special but very good for teenagers (I went to their concert). Their sports are very good. It's a very cliquey school and sort of typical. I would have rather gone to a different public school or even a private school.

Posted November 09, 2014
I was a student at Hanover High. This school has a very good education and lots of freedom. And also, Hanover High is known for having good athletics. But my experience at Hanover High wasn't what I wanted. It is very clique and it's hard to make friends. You would have to dress well, be good at sports, and be pretty to fit in. That wasn't my scene. Don't know how I survived but I am glad to be out of that school.

Posted August 01, 2014
This school has a wide variety of options for students, both academically and sports-wise. There is a lot of freedom, something critical for a School, especially a High School.

Posted January 08, 2014
Yes, the education is adequate. I have definitely seen better and seen worse. This school is very clique-y. Money talks, if you are not athletic or rich you are pretty much outta luck. Good education, bad high school experience. Beware.

Hanover High School 4

Posted November 17, 2013
Academically, you're not going to get a better place for a public school. I'm a senior and can say that while I love Hanover's drive for academic success, it can become incredibly stressful at times. The pressure for us as students to perform at a high level is intense; I have a 3.77 GPA and I'm ranked fairly low among my peers, who hold 3.8 like a golden standard as to whether or not you're a great student. Besides the academic pressure, I've also experienced my share of social pressure. Because Hanover is a fairly wealthy community, it produces high schoolers with very nice and expensive materials. It seems like everyone has a Macbook and an iPhone or other variety of smartphone. I don't have one and get along just fine, but it does deplete your social status just a bit. Finally, the part that makes me give Hanover a four star rating is the teachers. I have had incredible teachers my four years at Hanover that have all wanted to see me succeed. Whether you come into the school with a 4.0 or a 3.0, there is always going to be someone willing to stand in your corner to make sure you perform to your best. So, great academic school but a lousy one socially. That's all there is to it.

Posted September 14, 2013
I graduated from HHS several years ago. My experience may be a bit dated but I do recognize several teachers and faculty on the current directory. My experience is that HHS is an outstanding public high school for high achieving students. Where it falls short is dealing with the average (B and C type grades) or special needs students. As a little bit of a late bloomer academically, and thus just an average high school student, I was written off by several teachers. One very highly regarded teacher even told my parents she did not want to "waste" her time with me because I was a "lost cause". Well I graduated college with honors, have a masters degree, make well into six figures annually, and am trusted with the lives of hundred of people daily, so her professional judgement was way off base. Like I said, it is a great public school for high academically achieving students, several classmates attended the Ivy League schools and other highly prestigious universities. But average and special needs students can expect to become surprisingly lost for such a small school.

Posted December 13, 2011
I am unfortunate enough to be a student at this school and I hate it. Its cliquey and cold. The teachers are good but the culture in this school is such that kids are overworked and stressed. Kids never get a break. I cant wait get out of here. Don't send your kids here!

Posted June 23, 2011
We chose to live in Hanover for the schools and it was the best decision we could have made. Our kids ('10, '12) never had a social problem, have received wonderful educations in and out of the classroom. The only complaint would be the enormous amount of homework, more work than the oldest is getting at a top-10 national college.

Posted January 09, 2010
All of the students that say that the academics are substandard are severely exaggerating. Hanover High has some of the best academics in NH. That's not to say it is an easy school at all. It is a very competitive school in academics and sports. I have noticed that there are some cliques, and some people tend to think that if you don't fit 'the bill' that it's hard to 'fit in'. Although Hanover has the reputation of being preppy, there are all sorts of groups to hang out with. I for instance hang out with the 'urban outfitters-esk' group of people. There are all types of groups from preppy populars, to the singers and everything in between. Hanover High will certainly get you ready for college but the academics are very intense.

Posted January 03, 2010
i am currently a student at hanover, and i find the school to be an accepting place, with a lot of academic opportunities. I can however see how students who choose not to take advantage of those opportunities feel left out or unaccepted. It is a place where everybody is expected to try their best academically and overall.

Hanover High School
41 Lebanon St, Hanover, NH  03755
Last modified Hanover High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hanover High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 35 reviews. Top