Bad
Good

Wonderful staff and positive attitude. Goid school leadership with focus on responsive learning.

So far, this school has been really accepting of my children. The teachers made them feel right at home during a very stressful time. The staff is courteous, nice, and inviting. I would definitely say that this is probably one of the better school (out of 5) that my children have gone too (in different parts of the US).

The staff is great, the teachers are wonderful and the atmosphere is excellent. I am really glad that my children attended this school. The Middle school is failing but the High school works hard to recoup the lack of education did not receive in the three years they lost in-between schools.

Too bad no one has posted in a while. In the past 2 years, the SAU and the elem. school have undergone leadership changes for the better. The negative comments I had heard over the past several years were very concerning to me and so I chose to become involved at the school and volunteer in the classroom. I wanted to see first hand how and what the children are learning (not to mention the environment they have to work in.) I am happy to see that the school is working to improve their reading and math programs. We won't really see good data for a few years, but I am pleased with the direction the school is headed and the effort the teachers and the principal put forth. Don't be too quick to dismiss this school, it is headed in a good direction and has a lot of potential.

My son has had a wonderful 'career' at H-D elementary school. From wonderful teachers who always make the children feel special to enrichment opportunities we could not be happier with his experience at this school. The area of Deering and Hillsboro offers a beautiful country setting to raise children in which compliments this elementary school where your child is a name and not just another number. The school has wonderful opportunities for children to explore academics and build self confidence!

Our daughter has been blessed with excellent teachers throughout her 5 years (including K) and we are very pleased with her development at HDES. She is involved in the student chorus, quitar program, and is a reading buddy to the younger students. My wife and I are very involved with the PTO, and there are always a solid group of parent volunteers for the planned projects. This is a great small town school, and do not judge it completely by the NECAP scores. There is a lot more to a child's education than a quantitive evaluation.

I have sent 3 children through HDES. This is the worst leadership we have ever had. She dismisses you by and talking down to you and is not approachable. We spent the last two years with teachers that did not want to teach and could not be bothered with concerns. If it were not for the local HYAA sports program there would be no athletic activities for the students, HYAA does a great thing for our community. It saddens me to see the downslide our schools have taken in the last few years.

My daughter is going into her 4th year at HDES. I have been so lucky with great teachers! I am very picky and do my research on who she gets and that is a must! They are not all that way! The administration needs a shake up! She talks to parents like they are in Kindergarten and will dismiss you as she knows what is best for your own child! Moral for this reason amongst the staff is very low.

My child loves to go to school. When there is a day that the kids have off because of either a vacation or snow day, my child asks me if there is going to be school soon because she misses her friends and the daily activities that her teacher provides. The afterschool programs are A+ in my grade book. They do keep the kids busy and let them learn something new. Sign language, arts and crafts and band are just a few of what are offered for these kids. Keep up the good work.

Last modified Hillsboro-Deering Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.