Posted June 24, 2014
As a staff member, I am truly embarrassed to have any association with this school or district. I have no idea why anyone would choose to live in Manchester and send their children to schools like Parker-Varney. This city and this building will try anything to get the test scores up immediately (dump money into Chromebooks, Ipads) except, you know, hire enough teachers to keep class sizes down, or hire enough paraprofessionals to keep behaviors from special needs/behavior needs students from disrupting the entire classroom. This is also a school that for years, no matter who the principal is, seems to hire new staff members based on personal biases. Student teachers are selected for positions over certified teachers with actual experience. And a startling number of classroom teachers simply do not know how to teach, or just cannot be bothered to, and waste quite a bit of time with witch hunts and vendettas against other people in the building. After years of seeing this school in action, I would never send my kids here. This school is unsafe. Dangerous behaviors are not addressed and allowed to fester and escalate. There are very few opportunities for student growth. Run away!

Parker-Varney School 3

Posted June 08, 2013
My three brothers and I attended Parker Varney 10+ years ago. We all loved it. My teachers rocked, and from what I can remember the rest of the staff was fantastic. (To those of you still there, I hope all is well!) Some of the faculty became like family to my family. It breaks my heart to see these reviews, and to see how things have changed so drastically. I hope that things can turn around for the best, and that Parker Varney can provide the awesome education and assistance to the current and future students as it has in the past. Best wishes, Emily Hunter

Posted January 21, 2012
Poorly organized school. Do not hear positive things about the office staff or certain classroom teachers. If you have an option to send your student somewhere else, take the other option.

Posted October 15, 2011
I must admit, the new principal is no better then the last. Takes everything for her own self credit. Assigns staff to do "projects" for her political gain. Does not put children first. Uses her time to triangle herself between staff and parents complicating small issues and not focusing on the larger outstanding ones. The principal was called by the Union to a meeting with the Superintendent. 100% of teachers spoke up to have the principal removed showing documented accounts of where the students were not put first. The district has shown no effort to follow through with the requests of the teaching staff. There was an extremely large sum of money granted to three schools. Under the grant circumstances the Principals were to gather from teachers what the money should be used for to increase student achievement to help us be no longer a school in need of improvement. The principal at Parker Varney gathered no information from teachers. She used the money for her choosing. She mad poor decisions that are directly affecting student achievement and test scores. The Special ed staff are wonderful at Parker Varney as well as Art Music PE and Teachers that were educated out of state.

Posted May 31, 2011
I went to PV as a child and for as long as i can remember PV is the school i always disliked. Yes i was a problem child then but my parents tried to work with me the best they could with my ADHD without putting me on medication. The school had refused to keep me there if i wasn't on medication. So when my parents did put me on some they hassled my parents everyday asking if i had taken it that morning. Also my teacher (who by the way still works there) use to bribe me with candy to keep me quite and behave all day. Now is that a way to teach a child by bribing. I understand that my parents could have taken more time to work with me on my ADHD but the teachers didn't either. Also the principal when i was there once grabbed me by the armsand dragged me when i was misbehaving. At that point if a child is that bad you should call their parents not take matters into your own hands. Which is why now my child will NOT be going to PV

Parker-Varney School 4

Posted May 19, 2011
Just like any school Parker Varney has its own set of issues. However, the new principal at the school has been doing an outstanding job of working to address the strengths and weaknesses of the school in order to move forward in a positive direction. As a hesitant parent going into the school, I have found that the curriculum is very challenging. I have found that my child has progressed extremely well in reading and writing and her math foundations are very strong. The teachers work hard there. If there is one thing I can say, it is that there should be more parent participation. However, I think that this will come with new initiatives that are coming forward in the near future. I think PV is a great place to learn and proud to have a child that goes there.

Parker-Varney School 0

Posted April 25, 2010
Staff wise this school is split into 2 camps. Leadership by the Principal is not there, his primary focus is personal not professional. The school has the staff and the students to be a really great school. The drive and direction from the top is not their. Children are labeled and disrespected. Not a positive learning environment for the kids.

Posted March 26, 2010
The school is in need of improvement. Parents are not encouraged to be involved with the school. The focus is on behavior and not on learning and education. Teachers for the most part are very good. Admininstration needs work

Parker-Varney School 5

Posted September 16, 2009
I have 2 children who have attended Parker Varney school my daughter who is now in jr. high and my 7 year old son who attends now and they have done so much for them learning wise. My daughter has learning problems and she has done so well since she went to this school. My son is doing amazing there and I would recommend Parker Varney to anyone.

Posted May 09, 2009

Parker-Varney School
223 James Pollack Dr, Manchester, NH  03102
Last modified Parker-Varney School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Parker-Varney School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 12 reviews.