Manchester West High School

Public | 9-12

Posted November 16, 2013

I am currently a senior at west and I must say they did a great job because when I started freshmen year I was struggling so they placed me out of district into a private school where they rebuilt my confidence and taught me ways to cope with my anxiety and after being at this place for 2 years I came back to west in the middle of junior year and because of where I was credit wise from doing well in the private setting I am now a senior set to graduate early from west high school. P.s the teachers and assistant principals are awesome highly recommend this school for residents of Manchester.

Posted August 8, 2013

I graduated from West High School in the year 2012, and I have to say, it was the worst experience of my life. I was not prepared for college AT ALL. Once I got there, I was immediately overwhelmed by the workload. I was always told I was a smart girl, but now I'm a 19 year old college dropout working at Walmart as a cashier and still living with my parents. My friends and I always used to joke about how 2/3 of the student body would be college dropouts. I never thought one of them would be me.

Posted March 28, 2009

I am a senior at West currently. The school has provided me with the a great education. I am in the decision process of my college search and I have several phenomenal schools to choose from. West provides its students with a quality education if they are willing to do the work and take the rigorous classes! Although the school's extracurriculars may be going down hill a bit due to Bedford students leaving, it can easily rise back up again if more Manchester and Hooksett students are willing to keep it alive. I take offense to some of the comments made here and am willing to vouch for the school West is. An education is what you make of it and anyone can learn and become successful if they work for it. In addition, the teachers are easily accessible and encourage their students to do well!

Posted March 28, 2009

Posted August 6, 2008

My oldest daughter attended West. I felt that most of the staff seemed overwhelmed by the students. The expectations for the students were not high and there was no guidance offered. We had a handful of teachers that really seemed to care, but also many that seemed to be just doing their job without any real interest.

Posted February 1, 2008

I am currently a Senior at West. I have read the other reviews on this site and I find them to be insulting and untrue. The School is not in the best shape, however it is anything but gross(except for a few broken ceiling tiles). The students at west are not all from non college families as stated. There are plenty of AP and college prep courses, as well as qualified teachers to teach them. The rules are not to lax at all and It is rare to find students wandering the halls or doing inappropriate things after school. I like West, even if I hate school.

Posted May 1, 2007

West is not a good school. The school doesn't care about its students and the general area is gross.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted June 6, 2005

I have to say this school has not met up to our expectations. The 2 good things are the ROTC and Band groups. Our guidance counselor was very helpful, but like Mr. Baines, the current principal is not available and we could never make an appointment. The students have the run of the building. After school they hang out wherever and are found hugging, kissing, etc., very inappropriate.

Posted January 9, 2005

All three of my children attended this school as well and I have to say I am not quite as pleased. My oldest now 28 was not at all guided when looking into her future I guess because she didn't ask to be...my middle child a bright over acheiver with personality galore was not worked to her potential due to the lack of AP courses offered and and my youngest at the time principal Baines was called he would not return phone calls.

Posted September 17, 2004

It's a blue collar school in a blue collar part of town - on fundamentlas, standards are high and children are expected to perform - however, there needs to be more emphasis on college to help these kids do better than their parents -Enrollment in AP or college prep courses is low and the classes themselves are few in number - more guidance towards college enrollment is needed from the staff - most of these kids don't come from families with university backgrounds - this school is the only exposure to the possibility and potential of a college education - lower middle class expectations produce lower middle class citizens - these kids are smarter and deserve better than that - this school can and should do more to lift these kids out of this working class community.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted August 31, 2004

All three of my children attended WEST, and all three of them got into Harvard Law School. All of the teachers focus on the students, and always help out. The safety is supurb, and there are also two to three vice cops at all times in the school. The teacher quality is extremely high, which makes WEST one of the best public high schools in New Hampshire for academics. The Parents are always involved when needed, and the extracurricular activities are endless.

Posted April 16, 2004

I have attended this school and it is overall a pretty decent school. We have great math and science departments and the other departments don't fall to far behind. We usually send at least 2 kids to Harvard every year and they do well. We also have a lot of school spirit usually.

Grade level

Math

The state average for Math was 36% in 2014.

231 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 77% in 2014.

229 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 33% in 2012.

266 students were tested at this school in 2012.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 54% in 2014.

225 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Scale: % achievement level 3 or 4

In 2013-2014 New Hampshire used the New England Common Assessment Program (NECAP) to test students in grades 3 through 8 and 11 in reading and math, and in grades 5, 8 and 11 in writing. The NECAP is a standards-based test that measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New Hampshire. The goal is for all students to score at or above proficiency level 3.

Source: New Hampshire Department of Education

Proficient in English28%
Non-migrant25%
Former LEP student - monitoring year 210%
Scale: % achievement level 3 or 4

The different student groups are identified by the New Hampshire Department of Education. If there are fewer than 10 students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Source: New Hampshire Department of Education

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 6% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 46%N/A26%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

9 Notre Dame Ave