The Derryfield School

Private | 6-12 | 369 students

Living in Manchester

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $174,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,045.

Sweep tile

Posted August 25, 2013

This school provided a supportive yet challenging environment for my son. He was always textbook smart in the public schools, but moving to Derryfield challenge ideas and analyze rather than learn by textbook. The teachers are an integral part of their day and my son's confidencd, skills and ability to advocate for himself effectively has become a huge part of who he is as he heads for college. Derryfield was a great choice for our family.

Posted April 1, 2013

This is a great school where students receive an exceptional education experience. Teachers are willing to take time out to work with students individually. My 16 yo told me that Derryfield was a major milestone in her life. Look at the college acceptance list on the website. Top schools accept these kids. Visit the school, you'll realize what a wonderful place it is.

Posted January 25, 2013

Challenging, supportive environment that has given my two children a chance to grow academically, motivationally and personally. This school has been the best gift I could give to my kids and I am confident that their lives will be altered by the experience.

Posted October 19, 2012

We know a lot about The Derryfield, having two recent graduates. The school is overrated. What a number of years ago was a Manchester area school that sought to provide local students with a better education than offered in the public arena has turned into a liberal led mediocre academic experience. For a number of years there was no Headmaster, then the slot was filled by a nice man with no vision for the school. He recently departed. So what filled the void was a number of agendas, generally by liberals. What has fallen by the wayside is excellent academic teaching. The teachers are below average. They often have favorite kids, based on the amount of adoration shown to the teacher by the student. Exams are very subjectively graded. If you are a brown nosing student, you are more likely to do well. SAT's? Study on your own, and begin early. The feeble prep course matches the lack of SAT instruction given during the school year. The classes are getting weaker. Most people who now apply to the Derryfield are accepted. Sports? Yeah. Everyone is a star. They think that field hockey, Soccer, tennis and the like are really sports. Out of characters, could go on .Think about it please.

Posted March 27, 2012

I entered this school as a 7th grader and enjoyed it up until 2/3rds into my 8th grade year. the people around me began to change and I didn't feel as safe as I once believed myself to be from bad influences. I found out that my teenage brother had begin to smoke due to peer pressure at derryfield, and you were sheltered if you hadn't made out with a boy before. I realized that a lot of highschool kids did drugs, and a few 8th graders did as well! I also wanted to switch out of derryfield before freshman year because I felt as if I don't belong with the mean self-centered people at Derryfield. Everyone has so much money that they treat it as if it is insignificant. People I once thought were my friends pressured me to change because they weren't satisfied with my quiet, unslutty attitude. The teachers there are great except for the fact that they don't really care if the kids are learning or not. I highly recomend not going to this school because it isn't worth the insane tuition or painful highschool years, despite the fact that going to DS could help you get into a better school. -student

Posted March 4, 2011

Growing up, I was always at the top of my class and was very successful academically as well as in extracurriculars. I applied to Derryfield for high school and was accepted. Excited to go, I was very quickly disappointed. The teachers did not really care about the students and the worst of them all was the dean: A complete joke! As for the kids, they were so aware of how much money they had and were completely oblivious of any other standard of life. My friends who were scholarship kids (aka not the richy rich kids) were completely segregated from my other groups of friends (whose fathers had more money than God). It was sad that money got in the way and at a time in your life where you are supposed to be developing your character, I started to see how shallow the school was all because of money. I transferred out after one semester. I was accepted to each college I applied for including 3 Ivy League schools. I can tell you that the kids who graduated the same year at Derryfield, most were only accepted to subpar schools. I'm glad I got out. I know I would not have been able to get into the colleges I applied to had it not been for transferring!

Posted December 1, 2010

This school is a real gem, it has exceeded every expectation of our family. Most importantly, my son loves every moment he is at school. He is inspired, challenged, and is welcomed for his special talents. If your serious about education, DS is the place to be!!!

Posted September 16, 2009

It's the school that encouraged me to challenge, question, think and care.

Posted May 8, 2009

In it's almost 50-year history, The Derryfield School has earned a reputation for excellent teaching with extrordinary results. Students are respected for their individual talents and encouraged to be their best. 100% of the graduates attend college, but more importantly, they attend the colleges of their choice. If you are serious about your child's education, The Derryfield School is worth a look.

Posted September 16, 2007

This is the best school ever!! The teachers are excellent and the kids that go there are awesome. They really seem to care about their students, and you don't feel out of place there at all, everyone is so welcoming, and accepting. I really love how they trust all of teh students, and genuinely care. I would highly recommend this school.
—Submitted by a student

Asian 5% 2%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Nonsectarian
Associations
  • NAIS

• Computer lab
  • Library

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2108 River Rd