Posted May 30, 2014
Be careful sending your child here. Note that after a negative post there is a flurry of positive 5 star reports. Gee, do you think someone from the school tells someone to post glowing reports? Check out the colleges many graduates go to. Never heard of many of them? No surprise. They encourage out of area small school that are easy to get into, with minimal clout after graduation
2 people found this helpful

Posted May 14, 2014
I am a 1982 grad of DS - both my kids attend DS. I credit Derryfield with creating the amazing people my children have become. They have learned so much in class but that is the least of their accomplishments. Each of their teachers have proven that they are as invested in my child's education as they are - as we, as parents, are. Yes, both the academic education and excellent coaching are very important an impressive but pale in comparison to the life experiences Derryfield has offered them. Experiences range from working with the local grade school children of our newer citizens to incredibly extensive travel (China, South Africa, Costa Rica, Peru, New York and Washington DC). My Junior is passionately searching for her ideal college. The guidance she is receiving is world-class. From my own experience and listening to others, when Derryfield students arrive at college they are have a tremendous edge on other students due to their preparedness for this next step. There is no finer independent day school in the Northeast.

Posted May 14, 2014
My three children have attended The Derryfield School since early middle school. Each brings an entirely different learning style, set of interests and personal style, and Derryfield has met and exceeded my expectations for all of them. Academically, they have been challenged and supported with an innovative curriculum and extraordinarily dedicated and talented faculty body. This is really the crux of Derryfield's excellence. A positive, healthy social environment, extraordinary fine arts, athletic, international and other extracurricular opportunities have also benefitted my children in all grades. The college application process was very positive on two fronts. The staff in this area are incredibly knowledgeable and supportive to parents and students alike, and the process for us has twice resulted in admission to exceptional colleges that are a wonderful match. We are delighted our children have had the opportunities this school offers, and cannot speak highly enough about the caliber of education received.

Posted April 24, 2014
The worst school ever, it was a big mistake, we put our kid in there early to help her succeed in life but in return she lost all her passions and became an elitist with an entitlement mentality. She is never good enough for that school they don't have GPA or class rankings and colleges don't know much about them. Your chances of getting in to a good college is equally proportional to the amount of contributions you make for the annual fund. Every other kid is a child of a faculty and only those kids and their friends get and A. I have a collection of badly written papers from kids who are on Honor roll, where as well written papers get a lukewarm B. I have ruined my child's chances of ever going to a good college. Don't waste your money, there are plenty of good public, charter and parochial schools in the area that truly care. Please don't send your child to Derryfield. They don't even play division 1 sports... no competitions that your kid could be proud of.. hardly any awards for the kids from this school in any field... they barely get out of their cozy little comfortable campus. Like frogs in a well they are content in their world but when the kids come out, god help them!
2 people found this helpful

Posted August 25, 2013
This school provided a supportive yet challenging environment for my son. He was always textbook smart in the public schools, but moving to Derryfield challenge ideas and analyze rather than learn by textbook. The teachers are an integral part of their day and my son's confidencd, skills and ability to advocate for himself effectively has become a huge part of who he is as he heads for college. Derryfield was a great choice for our family.

Posted April 01, 2013
This is a great school where students receive an exceptional education experience. Teachers are willing to take time out to work with students individually. My 16 yo told me that Derryfield was a major milestone in her life. Look at the college acceptance list on the website. Top schools accept these kids. Visit the school, you'll realize what a wonderful place it is.

Posted January 25, 2013
Challenging, supportive environment that has given my two children a chance to grow academically, motivationally and personally. This school has been the best gift I could give to my kids and I am confident that their lives will be altered by the experience.

Posted October 19, 2012
We know a lot about The Derryfield, having two recent graduates. The school is overrated. What a number of years ago was a Manchester area school that sought to provide local students with a better education than offered in the public arena has turned into a liberal led mediocre academic experience. For a number of years there was no Headmaster, then the slot was filled by a nice man with no vision for the school. He recently departed. So what filled the void was a number of agendas, generally by liberals. What has fallen by the wayside is excellent academic teaching. The teachers are below average. They often have favorite kids, based on the amount of adoration shown to the teacher by the student. Exams are very subjectively graded. If you are a brown nosing student, you are more likely to do well. SAT's? Study on your own, and begin early. The feeble prep course matches the lack of SAT instruction given during the school year. The classes are getting weaker. Most people who now apply to the Derryfield are accepted. Sports? Yeah. Everyone is a star. They think that field hockey, Soccer, tennis and the like are really sports. Out of characters, could go on .Think about it please.

The Derryfield School 2

Posted March 27, 2012
I entered this school as a 7th grader and enjoyed it up until 2/3rds into my 8th grade year. the people around me began to change and I didn't feel as safe as I once believed myself to be from bad influences. I found out that my teenage brother had begin to smoke due to peer pressure at derryfield, and you were sheltered if you hadn't made out with a boy before. I realized that a lot of highschool kids did drugs, and a few 8th graders did as well! I also wanted to switch out of derryfield before freshman year because I felt as if I don't belong with the mean self-centered people at Derryfield. Everyone has so much money that they treat it as if it is insignificant. People I once thought were my friends pressured me to change because they weren't satisfied with my quiet, unslutty attitude. The teachers there are great except for the fact that they don't really care if the kids are learning or not. I highly recomend not going to this school because it isn't worth the insane tuition or painful highschool years, despite the fact that going to DS could help you get into a better school. -student

Posted March 04, 2011
Growing up, I was always at the top of my class and was very successful academically as well as in extracurriculars. I applied to Derryfield for high school and was accepted. Excited to go, I was very quickly disappointed. The teachers did not really care about the students and the worst of them all was the dean: A complete joke! As for the kids, they were so aware of how much money they had and were completely oblivious of any other standard of life. My friends who were scholarship kids (aka not the richy rich kids) were completely segregated from my other groups of friends (whose fathers had more money than God). It was sad that money got in the way and at a time in your life where you are supposed to be developing your character, I started to see how shallow the school was all because of money. I transferred out after one semester. I was accepted to each college I applied for including 3 Ivy League schools. I can tell you that the kids who graduated the same year at Derryfield, most were only accepted to subpar schools. I'm glad I got out. I know I would not have been able to get into the colleges I applied to had it not been for transferring!

The Derryfield School