6-12 & Ungraded|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Too much (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (1 response)

The Derryfield School 2

Posted January 18, 2016
My 7 years at Derryfield can only be described as one giant headache. Filled with few goods things and a plethora of bad things.

Posted October 03, 2015
I was a student at Derryfield for 7th and 8th grade. Most of the teachers were fantastic and I gained a lot from my experience at Derryfield. However, I'm fairly confident that I was discriminated against for my political affiliations. I remember specifically being asked about politics in my interview by Kathleen Rutty-Fey. I responded that I was a conservative and game my reasons. She made it clear that she thought I was falling in line with my parents' beliefs, as if it was inconceivable that a student could be conservative without being coerced into it. Despite good grades and test scores, I was waitlisted twice, finally getting in off the waitlist the second year. They don't tolerate views outside the liberal ideology at Derryfield. I ended up going elsewhere for high school and recently graduated from Yale. I don't think I would have had nearly as much success in applying to college had I stayed at Derryfield. The smarter students in my year at Derryfield all seemed to go to second-tier schools.

Posted May 30, 2014
Be careful sending your child here. Note that after a negative post there is a flurry of positive 5 star reports. Gee, do you think someone from the school tells someone to post glowing reports? Check out the colleges many graduates go to. Never heard of many of them? No surprise. They encourage out of area small school that are easy to get into, with minimal clout after graduation

Posted May 14, 2014
I am a 1982 grad of DS - both my kids attend DS. I credit Derryfield with creating the amazing people my children have become. They have learned so much in class but that is the least of their accomplishments. Each of their teachers have proven that they are as invested in my child's education as they are - as we, as parents, are. Yes, both the academic education and excellent coaching are very important an impressive but pale in comparison to the life experiences Derryfield has offered them. Experiences range from working with the local grade school children of our newer citizens to incredibly extensive travel (China, South Africa, Costa Rica, Peru, New York and Washington DC). My Junior is passionately searching for her ideal college. The guidance she is receiving is world-class. From my own experience and listening to others, when Derryfield students arrive at college they are have a tremendous edge on other students due to their preparedness for this next step. There is no finer independent day school in the Northeast.

Posted May 14, 2014
My three children have attended The Derryfield School since early middle school. Each brings an entirely different learning style, set of interests and personal style, and Derryfield has met and exceeded my expectations for all of them. Academically, they have been challenged and supported with an innovative curriculum and extraordinarily dedicated and talented faculty body. This is really the crux of Derryfield's excellence. A positive, healthy social environment, extraordinary fine arts, athletic, international and other extracurricular opportunities have also benefitted my children in all grades. The college application process was very positive on two fronts. The staff in this area are incredibly knowledgeable and supportive to parents and students alike, and the process for us has twice resulted in admission to exceptional colleges that are a wonderful match. We are delighted our children have had the opportunities this school offers, and cannot speak highly enough about the caliber of education received.

Posted April 24, 2014
The worst school ever, it was a big mistake, we put our kid in there early to help her succeed in life but in return she lost all her passions and became an elitist with an entitlement mentality. She is never good enough for that school they don't have GPA or class rankings and colleges don't know much about them. Your chances of getting in to a good college is equally proportional to the amount of contributions you make for the annual fund. Every other kid is a child of a faculty and only those kids and their friends get and A. I have a collection of badly written papers from kids who are on Honor roll, where as well written papers get a lukewarm B. I have ruined my child's chances of ever going to a good college. Don't waste your money, there are plenty of good public, charter and parochial schools in the area that truly care. Please don't send your child to Derryfield. They don't even play division 1 sports... no competitions that your kid could be proud of.. hardly any awards for the kids from this school in any field... they barely get out of their cozy little comfortable campus. Like frogs in a well they are content in their world but when the kids come out, god help them!

Posted August 25, 2013
This school provided a supportive yet challenging environment for my son. He was always textbook smart in the public schools, but moving to Derryfield challenge ideas and analyze rather than learn by textbook. The teachers are an integral part of their day and my son's confidencd, skills and ability to advocate for himself effectively has become a huge part of who he is as he heads for college. Derryfield was a great choice for our family.

Posted April 01, 2013
This is a great school where students receive an exceptional education experience. Teachers are willing to take time out to work with students individually. My 16 yo told me that Derryfield was a major milestone in her life. Look at the college acceptance list on the website. Top schools accept these kids. Visit the school, you'll realize what a wonderful place it is.

Posted January 25, 2013
Challenging, supportive environment that has given my two children a chance to grow academically, motivationally and personally. This school has been the best gift I could give to my kids and I am confident that their lives will be altered by the experience.

Posted October 19, 2012
We know a lot about The Derryfield, having two recent graduates. The school is overrated. What a number of years ago was a Manchester area school that sought to provide local students with a better education than offered in the public arena has turned into a liberal led mediocre academic experience. For a number of years there was no Headmaster, then the slot was filled by a nice man with no vision for the school. He recently departed. So what filled the void was a number of agendas, generally by liberals. What has fallen by the wayside is excellent academic teaching. The teachers are below average. They often have favorite kids, based on the amount of adoration shown to the teacher by the student. Exams are very subjectively graded. If you are a brown nosing student, you are more likely to do well. SAT's? Study on your own, and begin early. The feeble prep course matches the lack of SAT instruction given during the school year. The classes are getting weaker. Most people who now apply to the Derryfield are accepted. Sports? Yeah. Everyone is a star. They think that field hockey, Soccer, tennis and the like are really sports. Out of characters, could go on .Think about it please.

The Derryfield School