9-12|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Don't know (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Bishop Guertin High School 1

Posted December 08, 2015
I'd avoid it - the tuition is far too high for the quality of education I received. Classes others describe as "interesting" are actually just "let's memorize some vocabulary and write essays using buzzwords we don't understand and get As because the teachers don't really understand it either." Oh, and student/faculty are either delusionally leftist or xenophobic - dogmatism runs so rampant in the school the "dialogue" some classes try to achieve are, frankly, painful. Someone tried to justify racial profiling because, "statistically, blacks are violent!" in my ethics class. This someone was also one of the better students in my class due to their memorization skills. If that doesn't turn you off from the school, admission is on a substantial downward trend, so many athletics and activities your son or daughter wants to experience will probably not be around by their graduation. This school is probably a 2/5, but to counter the skew of other comments (and, I guess, to factor in return-on-investment) I'm giving it a one.

Bishop Guertin High School 2

Posted August 01, 2014
My son attended BG for one year. His experience was not what we had hoped for so we transferred to public school. My husband is a BG graduate and he was sorry to see how much the school has changed since graduating in 1989. The dress code really isn't the priority it once was. Girls clearly hike up their skirts and boys were allowed to have their shirts untucked. However, the classes are still very challenging. The students who do at least four hours of homework a night (1/2 hour per class min.) will probably get by and be prepared for college. We didn't feel that our son was given much advantage over a public school student for the money we spent, so we sent him to public school where he excelled. He was clearly too stressed and way overloaded at BG which began to take a toll emotionally. Switching to public school was the right thing for him. I am not saying BG isn't right for some kids. It just wasn't a good fit for ours. The teachers were fine. Nobody seemed to go out of their way to help but they did their jobs. The school does have a lot of great clubs and extracurricular activities. Which he was involved in. In my opinion, it is just not worth the tuition.

Posted April 23, 2014
One of the best experiences of my life! Socially, I met some of my best friends at BG. Academically, I was challenged and supported. The classes were interesting, and the faculty were engaging. I was prepared for college in so many ways; far beyond my peers from other high schools. It was and still is my home away from home.

Posted January 17, 2013
I am a graduate of Bishop Guertin and transferred to BG as an upperclassmen. I was immediately impressed by the warmth of the faculty, strength of the academic program, and spirit of the student body. As a new student in the school I was pleasantly surprised by how friendly and inviting the other students were. They made my social transition an easy one. I highly recommend this school for anyone interested in a challenging academic program that will prepare you very well for college and an inviting and friendly student community.

Bishop Guertin High School 4

Posted January 08, 2012
Bishop Guertin, for the school itself, is a great school. The academics are great, and the teachers are so personable. However, you do need to be aware of a few things before you transfer. A lot of the people are very narrow-minded, and I among several other people I know have had troubles fitting in. It's a great learning environment, but I feel like I'm missing out on having friends at school. I value the academics there so much though, and I would not transfer. Another thing you have to be careful is the people you are with in a class. The classes offered at BG are college preparatory through AP. Most of the people in college prep classes are there because their parents are making them go to a private school, and they don't really want to be there. Not all of the classes, however, are like that. Bishop Guertin isn't for everybody, and it is a big decision to make. I am currently a sophomore there, and I am doing very well in all of my classes, and I have great relationships with my teachers. However, I feel that socially, I will not have the same experiences as most other students will.

Posted February 09, 2009
BG is the best school in the area for many reasons. The teachers are fantastic and will work 1 on 1 with you if you need helpwith anything. Also, the guidance is extremely accomadating. Sports are #1 in the area even though basketball has been struggling a bit. I would recommend this school to anyone who wants to achieve in life

Posted January 25, 2009
The academics here are incredible; I know I have a substantial advantage over the majority of high school students in New Hampshire. I am very thankful to be able to go to this school.

Bishop Guertin High School 2

Posted January 09, 2009
I am a former student at BG. As a top-performing student during my time there, I felt the teachers were responsive to individual needs and provided a challenging environment for learning. I felt the guidance department was especially vigilant about my needs as a student. They were more than willing to help me find alternatives when I felt I wasn't being challenged by the standard academic track. I would warn parents, however, that high school is not just about the academic experience. These years are the most important in terms of emotional and social growth. Despite my high grades and involvement in extracurriculars, I was absolutely miserable at this school. It is important to make sure your child is the right fit. I found the students superficial, narrow-minded and overly concerned with athletics/sports. Before sending your child to BG, make sure he/she will be happy there.

Posted November 29, 2007
I am a teacher there (8 years) and am now a parent. Having been around, I can honestly say I feel like 'I landed pow right in a pot of jam!' The Brothers of the Sacred Heart are a marvelouly down-to-earth group of religous and their philosophy is actually put into practice there. Hospitality, teaching the whole person, discipline and excellence with a human face: these and more are lived out there. We excel in all realms in the best way and send 98% of our students to college or military academies. It's not for everyone and it's not perfect, nothing is. But I would feel very confident to investigate this option if I were you.

Posted November 27, 2007
My son is a junior this year, and he could not imagine going to any other school...period. The teachers are exceptional, the guidance counselors are very supportive, and the athletics coaches treat the kids like their own, encouraging them to achieve their personal best. The Bishop Guertin community is very close-knit, caring, and supportive, and those qualities are exemplified by the faculty and staff. Our daughter will attend BG next year and she is thrilled to have the opportunity to attend a school that her brother speaks so highly of. There is a reason why so many BG alum send their own children to the school - it's that good. I don't understand the 11/17/2007 comment about the faculty. That is most certainly not the case today, and has never been in the three years we've been part of the BG family.

Bishop Guertin High School
194 Lund Road, Nashua, NH  03060
Last modified Bishop Guertin High School is a Private school that serves grades 9-12