Portsmouth, NH

Posted March 12, 2014
Dondero has been a great school for my son who has attended kindergarten and first grade there. The teachers challenge the students but also allow them to have fun while learning. My son's teachers have always returned any emails I have sent promptly. I am so glad I bought a house in this district.

Mary C. Dondero Elementary School 2

Posted August 18, 2013
This School is awsome for my child because lots of fun activities and good play ground and really good principal and teachers. Math and reading is not good at this school because of few newly joined teachers.

Posted September 29, 2011
I'm not sure how you can make a judgement about a principle who's been in her job for one year. Particularly when you're using standardized test scores to do it. I think test scores have suffered here for a number of reasons Two of the biggest reasons are demographics: Dondero enrolls far more transient students than the other two elementary schools. The second reason is that I notice a parental affectation with things fun and frivolous which were indulged by the last principle. I think the new principle has taken steps to refocus Dondero on academics and when you tie that to the wonderful things like neighborhood, facility, community, class size, parent volunteers, etc ..you end up with a very fine elementary school. When NCLB came floating out of Washington, we all knew that some schools would suffer based solely on socio-economics and the fact that rightly or wrongly, some parents just don't have the time and the resources (and yes, sometimes even the motivation) to back the schools up every night and Summer at home. Dondero shoulders that burden very well in my opinion. We are all in this together and I can tell you that what I've seen is a whole lot of hard work at Dondero.

Posted September 27, 2011
I think the last reviewer had a personal issue with the principal, because this school is Fantastic. The principal is great, being young has nothing to do with competence- I have seen more seasoned principals do far less for their students. I interviewed the principals from all 3 elementary schools before we decided on which we would send our kids to- test scores alone definitely do not paint the whole picture. This school has great teachers, great facility/location, and is not overcrowded- which means each student gets the attention they need. You get the whole package at Dondero.

Mary C. Dondero Elementary School 1

Posted June 14, 2011
This school is in a nice, quiet location, and has a large field and a nice outdoor play area for the kids. Physically, it's great and about as all-American as you get. However, the staff are incompetent and the test scores highlight this incompetence. We moved into this district thinking it was a great school. What we've witnessed is a school run by a young and clueless principal, and teachers that are equally incompetent. We can't wait to move our child out of this school for next year.

Posted October 26, 2009
i love all the staff here and jill is awesome, you all went out of your way to help my learning disabled daughters in every way possible and i even got home phone numbers incase i needed any questions answered at nite my girls love our new home but miss you all and wish they could have took you all with us,thanks for all you've done for my girls and miss your open arms and educated teachers,and your staff right down to the janitors are all excellent..

Posted October 14, 2009
Great school. They have full day kindergarten (as of 2007).

Mary C. Dondero Elementary School 2

Posted January 09, 2009

Posted January 04, 2008
My daughter is going to kindergarten.I am very pleased with this school.

Posted November 09, 2005
Very good and satisfactory level. But only problem is for 'K' its only 3hrs, if it would have been full day then it would have been better. There is no extended care available at school.

Mary C. Dondero Elementary School
32 Van Buren Ave, Portsmouth, NH  03801
Last modified Mary C. Dondero Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mary C. Dondero Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top