Somersworth High School 4

Posted September 23, 2014
My oldest boy goes to SHS. I was told sorts of horror stories about this school. So far, my boy has been going for 2yrs and he is excelling in all classes. Thankful to the school teachers and aides who go the extra mile for their students. I look forward to my youngest going to SHS. Well done SHS!

Somersworth High School 5

Posted September 13, 2013
this school helps teens learn real-life education with its vocational center combined with regular high school classes. If a kid has a positive direction from their parents they will succeed even more at this school. They have implemented programs to help troubled kids learn Somersworth High implemented the Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports (PBIS) a couple years back and it has done amazing things for the kids, school, test scores and overall morale in SHS. It seems many reviews are from a group of students who refuse to take responsibility for their own actions in school. High School is a time for a teen to learn responsibility before entering the work force or college. The school offers great programs for teens and those teens need to learn to make the correct choices in life. Being late for class is not the schools fault. Receiving a failing grade is not the schools fault. I graduated from this school and I know many other successful people that have as well including engineers, politicians, CEOs, etc.

Posted August 12, 2013
This school is absolutely terrible. None of their systems make any sense at all... I had a A- for my quarter grade in Math, however, when I took my final I wasn't feeling well and happened to get a 58 causing me to receive an F. I know from experience at other schools that a final can't change an A to an F just from barely failing it. My English teacher is a joke. I wrote a stellar research paper for him citing my sources, correctly incorporating a quote, and checked about 5 times for spelling and grammatical errors. On this paper I received a 45. My teacher didn't explain to me at all what I did wrong, or what caused me to receive such a bad grade even when I personally approached him about it. If you're so much as 30 seconds late to class you get written up for it, and will get suspended after 3. I've learned more at my private elementary school than I ever have here. Please do not put any more poor souls into this education system and because of it now I'm not prepared for college nor do I have any idea how the real word is. This is an absolute horror show for a school, ask ANYBODY.

Posted December 17, 2011
I have attended most of my High School career in northern Vermont, where I believed I was getting an average education compared to most schools, but Somersworth High school has no right to be considered a school. The curriculum is atrocious and their scheduled day is ineffective. The students are going to come out of this school discouraged by life because of how they were taught here. When a teacher goes around demeaning a students working habits instead of giving them advice, it is discouraging, and when that student ends up completing a project that the teacher said they would not complete, and it is not only done but done PERFECTLY, they should not be petty and try to make the rest of their school year miserable.

Posted August 15, 2011
So. My son is entering his Senior year at SHS. In the nearly 4 years that he has attended , I have NOT ONCE been contacted by any SHS staff for any reason. Good, bad, or ugly. Any communication between us as parents and any staff at this school has been made by us. My son is an average student. Which means that nobody cares. He isn't in enough academic trouble to merit any attention apparently. Although, he has all but failed math for the last 3 years. It is a very discouraging that the faculty really seems to not care. My 2 younger children will absolutely not attend SHS. Whether we live in Somersworth or not. Since there isn't any support or encouragement for parents to be involved, I am not sure where the breakdown is. Another little fact...when I contacted the school to look into my son possibly attending summer school, my efforts were answered by an email rife with spelling and grammatical errors. From an English teacher. The place is laughable. Too bad if there are any decent teachers here. They are heavily outweighed by the terrible ones. Look into charter schools and private schools before you send your teen here. We had no clue how bad it was. Learn from our mistakes.

Posted December 07, 2010
This is the first year I have ever gone to a public school. My experience in this school has been terrible. The teachers here coddle all the students and just make everything easier for them. The curriculum is unbelievably easy. The staff don't encourage doing your best as you have to go at the pace of the slowest kid at the school, and thats very slow. I would discourage the idea of attending this school at all as you or your kids IQ may decrease.

Posted August 13, 2009
My experience at this school was terrible. The administration did not know what they were doing, they teachers were inconsistent and the math wing was by far the worst. They switched systems and many times during the process forced people to retake classes they had already done. They did not properly acknowledge or deal with my situation of having moved to the school with an incomplete freshman year at my previous school and simply forced me to retake all of the classes. This is by far the worst school I have ever attended. It has a few shining teachers and classes like Philosophy and the now retired Mr.Pappas, along with a one-shot math teacher named Mr.LaPierre. With the only two good teaching experiences I had at the school gone, what is truly left?

Somersworth High School 5

Posted July 20, 2009
My grand children enjoy the school one grand daughter is a diabetic and they are 100% assisting her and makeing sure she isn't harassed by anyone shes allowed to join any of the sports annd clubs with all involved taught what to look for in a diabetic person

Somersworth High School 3

Posted April 29, 2009

Posted January 11, 2009

Somersworth High School
11 Memorial Dr, Somersworth, NH  03878
Last modified Somersworth High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Somersworth High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 18 reviews. Top