Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The teachers have gone above and beyond for my children. When one of my children excelled in a subject, they made special provisions for them so they could attend and outside class to be more challenged. My other child had slight difficulty in Math at his old school and the teachers at SMS have taught him Math in a way that he was more easily able to understand.

Amount of homework: Agree

Honestly, homework should never be a judge of a school. There has been several recent studies done that show homework has little effect on overall performance.

I have one child who graduated the middle school last year and a child who is currently enrolled. We moved into this town 2 years ago from Dover and I think SMS is one of the best schools. One of my children came to this school from a very exclusive private school and at first we were nervous due to what we had heard, but our fears were totally unfounded. This school is not only a great learning environment, but the principle and teachers go above and beyond for their students. I do not regret pulling my child out of private school to attend SMS in the least, and even though Somersworth has a high tax rate we have made a conscious decision to stay in Somersworth solely due to the school system. There was a study done by Rollinsford school district that compared Somersworth to several other schools, (such as Dover, Eliot etc) and Somersworth out performed all of them. The music department is wonderful and our children got letters from their teachers sent to our home every month, telling our children how much the teacher appreciated them! No other school has gone above and beyond the way Somersworth has. To all the teachers, thank you!!!

I have two older that attended SMS and faired decently. With my youngest who went there last year, for 6th grade, it was a real eye opener. In a nutshell. Unless your child is a behavioral problem, requires special services, or is struggling with their sexual identity.... They will be ignored. My son is "normal". Average student. Sweet and kind. From a "normal" family. (Which at this school is a negative thing) Unlike a reviewer mentioned, we were as involved as we saw fit with each of our children. After MULTIPLE email exchanges with teachers and administration, each rife with poor grammar and misspellings, I stopped being embarrassed for them. And was embarrassed for myself. That on top of a "no homework" mindset, subpar teaching (one teacher said "more funner" to my husband and I during a conference.). Our faith in the staff and the general school philosophy was broken. Last straw was my son being physically assaulted by a female student at a dance. Not a huge deal if there had been some resolution or effort put in by admin to communicate with all involved. Same student, same dance, assaulted another boy. Zero was done to punish the "bully" and I was more than disappointed to find hat I had to chase around the powers that be to communicate. Sickening. We pulled our son out at the end of the year. He has joined throngs of former SMS students at a private school (that stings since the taxes in this city are exorbitant ). Maybe in a couple years this school will correct itself. Until then. Be aware.

What a great school this is. I am very impressed with the way they run this school and participate in PBIS. They also have a zero tolerance for bullying. My son loves school again (finally) and the environment, teachers, and administrators are to be thanked for it. This school works together with parents to make sure that the children are excelling and that there is open communication between parent and school. I can't say enough great things about this school. My son, and I, are looking forward to 2 more yrs at SMS. Nice job SMS and thank you for all you do for my son as well as all the children who attend SMS...

SMS has undergone many changes in the past few years. It is a very nurturing, caring environment for students and staff. The teachers are exceptional. It was chosen by the New England League of Middle Schools as a "Spotlight" school - using best practices to create a culture and climate supporting learning.

My two children had positive experiences at this school. They had caring teachers who challenged them . They enjoyed their years there.

My daughter attended Somersworth Middle School. She had many great teachers and one not so great, but overall I was very happy with her experience. The new principle seems to really care about the school and the city.

I feel that this school is a great school. It is really too bad that most parents feel the need to post their negative experiences with this school. SMS was recently awarded The New England League of Middle Schools Spotlight Award for its record of powerful learning for young adolescents and its consistent observance of middle school best practices. I believe that most of the issues people have come down to is parenting. Most parents,it seems, want the schools to raise their children instead of taking responsibility for themselves. Somersworth is not a rich city and with that you will have differences amongst people. Parents need to take some responsibility in their child's' growth. Talk to your children and help them learn when at home too! Review their homework with them when they are done and do some parenting. Somersworth is a great school with a positive direction for students.

My children have both had a wonderful experience at Somersworth Middle School. The staff is very caring, and they have been challenged academically. SMS is a great school and community.

Last modified Somersworth Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.