W. Franklin, NH

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted June 03, 2015
They give a LOT of homework but its state mandated so its not like they can do anything about it.

Posted June 03, 2015
Paul Smith School is a pretty great school. My daughter is in first grade and I can honestly say that her teachers care about her. She had the most wonderful kindergarten teacher who really helped my daughter come out of her shell. Her first grade teacher is pretty good and I've seen great progress. They have a great music program and I feel like she's getting a lot of extra stuff than just basic skills. My daughter loves to read and is really advancing! Unfortunately, they don't have a playground for the kids right now and the school is really actively trying to raise money to put one in. I think this is the biggest negative I could write about Paul Smith. The only other thing I'd comment on is the communication. I would like the teachers to communicate progress throughout the semester and to suggest ways I can help her. My sons starts there in the fall! Overall a nice place :)

Posted April 21, 2010
My son is coded with speech and developmental delay, he's in first grade at the school, and went to Kindergarten there as well. The teachers are so 'on it' and involved, always available to connect with and my son has done amazing at this school. The class sizes are small, teachers KNOW their students. It's great to see so much involvement at this level. The school is also clean, the playground is large, there's plenty of room for kids to run around and get exercise. I am very impressed.

Paul A. Smith School 5

Posted February 10, 2009
Very involved and talented teachers. The school's addition is beautiful. This is one of the few schools to make AYP in the state and their literacy program is awesome. The Special Ed Teachers are very caring and do a wonderful job. This is also a Reading Tails school with a collie dog once a week for children to read to.

Posted June 25, 2007
I must say as my first year experience with the Paul Smith Elem. School I am very pleased, it is a change from private preschool, however being a public school I feel they do a great job at keeping parents informed on extracurricular activities, as there are quite a few things throughout the year for parent involvement. The communication between parent and teacher could be improved, the teachers aids are not well known or introduced to the parents. The staff does a wonderful job adhering to any special needs or allergies a child might have. Kindergarten in my opinion should be all day, there is not enough time for all that they need in 3 hours, this includes academic and extras, the day is to cramed into a short period of time. Overall we are satisfied.

Posted June 26, 2005
When my husband and I had to enroll our son in Franklin I will admit that we were skeptical. It turned out that our worries were to be halted. Although the school itself could use some updating, the teachers and staff that were around him are phenominal. He is very comfortable. The school goes above and beyond to involve parents in student activities and there are constantly letters going home with the children asking for parent input. The reading ability of most passing students is far above the states requirements and the extra curricular activities are present. The school works with the local rec. program to let parents and students know each available activiy. The local library also has on-going activities, with additional ones focused on the school children's interests during the summer vacation. Overall all, yes there is room for improvement but for now the school is maximizing its potential.

Posted October 13, 2004
I am really frustrated and angry with the Franklin School System. In my opinion, a plan should of been made well in advance.I love Franklin, This city has great potential, but the school system has been neglected since I can remember as far back as 1989. I didnt graduate from Franklin, I graduated from WRHS. We had community leaders and school officials who really cared about our future. I dont want to see Franklin or my children lose out.

41 Daniel Webster Dr, W. Franklin, NH  03235
Last modified Paul A. Smith School is a Public school that serves grades K-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Paul A. Smith School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 7 reviews. Top