Holy Spirit High School 1

Posted August 12, 2014
My children will never forgive me for sending them to this school, and quite frankly I do not blame them. Both have finally graduated and are looking forward to college, although if you want your child to have the best shot at getting into good colleges, Holy Spirit is not helpful whatsoever. Rather than helping students get into their choice colleges, they get community college pamphlets thrown at them, and it is very disheartening. Besides the lack of guidance, I found a majority of the teaching staff to be unsatisfactory. Most of the teachers do not teach to the level of the work they are assigning, particularly the "higher level" math teacher. Both of my children felt very unprepared for their AP exams, to the point where I resorted to getting them a tutor. Additionally, the management of the school is a disgrace. It is a disorganized mess with a lack of staffing that causes scheduling problems and limited options for classes. I cannot express how dissatisfied and angry I am with the experience my children had at this school. After talking to other parents, I know my children were not alone, and that I would never send another child here ever again.

Posted April 07, 2013
I am a freshman this year at Holy Spirit and I find it a very unsafe environment. The teachers and staff are great. However, the students at Holy Spirit are very rude and mean. It is very hard to find friends because people are exclusive. I believed that academically, they go easy on you which isn't bad, but you need a challenge once in a while. It's not a bad school, but it is a bad experience for me and I probably won't return next year. It can be different for other people so I suggest trying it.

Posted August 03, 2011
Well, having read the review--from parents and students--I thought it time to write one myself. I retired from HSHS in March 2010 having had the good fortune to have been part of the Spirit Family for 13 years. I saw the kids from three different perspectives. 1)Principal's secretary; 2)Guidance secretary; and 3)parent. The kids at Spirit are some of the best in the world. In my secretarial positions I met the worst, who were dealt with fairly and quickly; and the best who were appaulded and encouraged. I found the biggest problem with kids was their parents. The teachers are dedicated and wish to help their students. What few parents seem to realize is that for this to work--teachers need a certain amount of assistance from the parents. Just remember the old adage "you can bring the horse to water, you can't make it drink". Parents start taking responsibility for your children. It's true the sports programs at Spirit are great. Too bad none of you wants to put the same effort and funding into the academics.

Posted July 01, 2009
At $7000/year to what was believed to be one of the better schools in the area, I have found it not worth the money. Your child will utimately get what they put in at any school.The dress code is selectively enforced Discipline-there's plenty of that...when your late to class or school, but academically, there is little. Detentions should be issued when school work & exams are poor; poor study habits, poor grades & laziness are the behaviors that need to be punished & addressed daily. Tardiness, failing to wear your polo & wearing Ugs take precedence over failing students!? The teachers I've encountered over the past several years only act by issuing quarterly reports when due & don't reach out when concerns arise.Administrative staff also show very little concern with returning phone calls & addressing parental concerns, however, the treasurer is their most efficient employee.

Holy Spirit High School 0

Posted May 03, 2009
I was very upset by the sophomore who denigrated the quality of HSHS. I am a graduate of 05, and about to be a college graduate with honors. Spirit will prepare you for college, bottom line. The school, as mentioned, could use a facelift, but it is already much nicer than it was when I attended. Given the way they use their money, I will donate to them before I donate to my undergrad institution. the teachers take a pay cut from what they could make in a public high school because they want to work with the students and like what they do. the way they track students (AP, advanced, college prep, and general [i don't quite remember its been a while]) does create an environment where underachievers can group together. However it also ensures those who work hard receive education at their level.

Posted April 05, 2009
Being a sophomore at Holy Spirit, i can tell you this..the tuition is too high and doesn't offer much here. Don't get me wrong, the teachers and sports athletics are great. If you want you're child to be in sports..then send them to Holy Spirit! I cheer, and run track..and i absolutely love it! Most people here are very cliquey though. I'm a very shy person so i don't talk to anyone really. I just feel like i don't fit in at this school. It is extremely boring if you are not involved with sports or clubs. The school itself is not up to date. It looks like its going to fall apart. & plus the uniforms are ugly. Even though its much easier and saves alot of money. Spirit kids tend to have a reputation 'rich and snobby' & part of that is right. I guess Holy Spirit isn't for anyone.

Holy Spirit High School 0

Posted April 03, 2009
with out a doubt this is the finest school in atlantic county. The school emphasis is on academic excellence, quality character and athletic achievement.some other schools in the area try to match holy spirits academic level by inflating grades over 4.0 or eliminating class rank. The bottom line is that the spirit kids are the best prepared when they go to college. More important they are good kids who are well behaved!!! The facilities are being up graded with new lockers, new gym seating and new bathrooms. The spartan athletic teams are always the best overall in the area. I would give spirit the highest rating!!!

Posted January 31, 2009

Posted October 31, 2008

Posted June 23, 2007
Excellent teachers, geat student support and family atmosphere.

Holy Spirit High School
500 South New Road, Absecon, NJ  08201
Last modified Holy Spirit High School is a Private school that serves grades 9-12
Holy Spirit High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top