Winslow Twp Middle School

Public | 7-8 & ungraded | 28 students

Posted March 9, 2014

Many many improvements have been made to this school and with ms. Nwanguma in charge, this schools priority is providing a safe and educational environment for all kids. My daughter attends the middle school, has great friends, is getting a great education and there are so many activities for he kids, she is always engaged in healthy programs for her and her friends to do together.

Posted September 4, 2013

Also , the schools new principal has really turned things around . there are those kids who want to show out because they think its cool or funny , but THEYRE the ones who make us look bad . in 2007-2009 years the kids that were always fighting were some of the high schoolers today , who have probably gotten left back several times . our test scores are bad because less than 25% of the students dont bother to pay attention or ask for help to review what is supposed to be on the test . just ignorance and inconsideration of the school . the PARENTS of all people should be blamed . the teachers ask if you need help , are struggling , let you come during lunch , anything you need to HELP you in any way they can . the school isnt scary , or dangerous . its perfectly fine . no one should have anything negative to say . --- submitted by a student
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 21, 2013

As a student here, it pains me to read these negative comments!! I have been in the winslow school district my entire educational career and I wouldn't want it any other way!! The staff is amazing, Ms. Nwanguma is a great principal, and the extra ciricular activities keep our students active and excited!!

Posted August 15, 2011

Winslow Middle isn't as bad as everyone says. I was there from 6th through 8th grade and i had a lot of fun as well as some amazing teachers.My mother was very impressed with some of the teachers I had and is going to request that my sister gets some of the same ones next year. Yes there some kids who start trouble, but they are dealt with. The school has definitely changed for the better since Ms.Nwanguma became the principal.She doesn't tolerate bad behavior. As long as you focus on your education and don't get involved with the few kids that don't care, you'll do very well in Winslow Township Middle School.

Posted February 2, 2010

I was apprehensive when my child wanted to attend the middle school as I have heard many horror stories. I decided to give it a chance, because elementary schools in Winslow were amazing. Disappointed to say she will not be coming back in the fall. There are a small number of teachers who are trying, the over whelming number of discipline issues outweighs the educational standards at the school. The majority of the staff DO NOT send their kids to this school nor do the law enforcement officials that live in the district. The social and ethnicity makeup in not equally balanced.

Posted October 26, 2009

My only pet peeve is the school puts all children that are least proficient in the same classes. They do not mix the kids, so the children who are still struggling do not have a higher standard to compete with. Birds of a feather flock together. Place the learning bar high for all children. You will be surprise that most children will strive to achieve when they are challenged.

Posted October 18, 2009

I was very apprehensive to send my child to this Middle School last year. Listening to horror strories from other parents, I thought that my child not only would receive inferior education, but would be subjected to negative influences. My daughter convinced me to give the school a chance and I'm glad that I listened. The first positive indicator for me is that teachers (and a principal) who lived in the district sent their own children to the school. Second, I was impressed by the activities available to the children, including Band and Orchestra and dedicated sports coaches. I also appreciate the opportunities available to contact my daughter's teachers if needed. My daughter takes honor roll courses and as a person who excelled in academia and takes her education serious, I am comfortable that she is receiving good, quality learning.

Posted October 10, 2009

I believe there is potential however, I the school board needs to do more with the No Child Left Behind Law. The school is a year to a year and a half behind in academics. My child attended a school outside the county last year and returned to WTMS in 2009. Guess What??? They were using the same books that were used for a lower grade level for the current year. I must say how disappointed I was as a parent. I believe the school board is responsible for the teachers ( who are really good) and students for not making a full effort with the funding they receive. They are responsible for better academic standardize test scores. In this region, Glocester TWP., Washington TWP has totally surpassed Winslow by a year to a year and a half. This is sad.

Posted June 19, 2009

Most of these people posting these reviews have no idea what there talking about, I as a student here don't think it's to bad of a school to go to. Other then a couple of fights which get taken care of quickly, this school is great and no one should be scared of going here.

Posted May 12, 2009

I believe that the reason our test scores continue to be low is in large part due to the fact that there are too many students who don't care and too many parents/guardians that don't care. Students who don't do their homework, projects or study for tests are not going to all of a sudden score high on standardized tests. There is only so much a teacher can do. The education is there if the student ( parents/guardians) want it. Start making the parents/guardians be accountable for their children! The students I feel sorry for are those who truly struggle. Unfortunately I believe they end up in classess with the students that don't care and therefore the classes are more disruptive and make it difficult for those who want to learn. Again, make the parents/guardians be responsible for their students lack of interest.

Posted May 11, 2009

there is only a hand full of teachers who actually care about teaching us! i used to attend a public school in cherry hill new jersey, and i must say, winslow's curriculum is below par! it is rediculous. our test scores are embarrassing. although i score above proficiency on the state tests, i can say that i do Not learn as much as i could be learning. i hate this school. they're trying to fire our teachers!!! thus, making it more students in each classroom? how am i going to learn anything, and how am i going to get accepted into a university college with the reputation that winslow has?!

Posted June 9, 2008

I am a student at winslow middle and I have been in winslow schools for most of my life. I don't like to hear people talk negatively about my school, because it's not near as bad as people make it out to be. Im graduating this year, but in the previous three years of attending I've learned that it is not the teachers, for the most part, it's the students that also attend this school. They think its cool to act out, but they don't know that they represent the whole school and everyone in it! The parents who post bad reviews are probably hearing negative things from their child who's just following the crowd or maybe 'one' teacher who unfortunately is one of those individuals who make our school look bad. Winslow middle is a great school for the students who are there to do what they're supposed to do.

Posted April 2, 2008

My son loves the school. The school has a wonderful honors program. Everybody gives Winslow a bad name. The teachers care for the children as if they were their own. We have four children in the distrist and love all three schools. Keep up the great work Winslow.

Posted February 6, 2008

I am a student who attends this school and it's only my first year. Yes, its true that it is hard to contact the school but think about all the parents that call. I am acheving a's and b's with the help of my caring green team teachers, who do call to inform are parents about are grades and behavoir.

Posted July 24, 2007

The school overall is horrible with the exception of a select few teachers and staff members. Not only is communication between the staff and parents bad but internal communication between the staff, administration, transportation and the board is non-existent! I have to call every department to give them the same information. And, no one ever calls back. I have to physically go to the school to get a response and even then the follow through is not there. Part of the problem is that staff is overwhelmed. There is a lot of new contstruction in the area (mostly housing deelopments) but no new schools. The other part of the problem is teachers who have not 'evolved' with society and cannot relate to the kids. So, teachers blame parents and parents blame the school and the kids are the ones who lose.

Posted July 19, 2007

This school to me is a very good school, I do not have any problems with any of the staff at the Middle School. I will applause them for how much I feel safe with my child being at the school. The teacher are trying their best with the student that have a chip on the shoulder that think world is out to get then, so they want to bother the other students that are trying to get their education and go on to the next grade. Or maybe does not like the way one may dress or look, they need to get those kids out!

Posted July 14, 2007

This school is actually a very good school. The staff is very caring and strive to help all of the students succeed. The administrators (principal and assistant principals) are constantly looking out for the safety of the students. The transition factor does allow a bit of turbulence in the schools as the teachers and other staff have to spend additional time maintaining discipline. Students are coming and going (in and out of district) which can hamper their education. A math program (Trailblazers) was a very ineffective tool that was instituted into the schools several years ago and caused a myriad of problems in the math scores that the district is still recovering from. The teachers are excellent and always put the students (and their education) first and foremost.

Posted April 15, 2007

This school is terrible. The staff and teachers never return your phone calls till literally 3 weeks later, then nothing is ever done. Now the sch budget was to be increased for metal detectors. Not on my dime when the problems are lack of discipline on the schools account. I am so happy this is my son's last year but dread the problems of the high scool next year. If I had known about the schools before I bought my home, I would have NEVER moved here.. Something needs to be done!

Posted March 6, 2007

My son has attended this school during his entire middle school years. The school does not offer extra-curricular activities or other programs considering the school dismisses @ 1:30pm. There are no positive alternatives for these students. Students have to be failing or considered at risk to participate in after school programs. There has been constant reminders from the school and media of the influx of violent incidents in the entire school district. The most recent suggestion of a metal detector in the school supports my concerns. I do not want my child to become comfortable in this environment. My son is an A & B student. Since attending this school, I have noticed a decline in my son's motivation level and grammar skills. He doesn't appear challenged in the classroom when behavior concerns prevent academic achievement. The violence & poor academics justify sending my child to private school next year.

Posted May 4, 2006

My son has attended this school for two years, everyday there is fighting at lunch or in the halls. Last year his yearbook was stolen and I was informed that they could find out who did it but that was all. There is no accountablity for the action of the kids. I have tried to talk with the Principal on several occasions and have not been able to speak with her. She has never returned any of my phone calls. I have found that the teachers do care a lot for the kids and try to do their best. I believe they would like more parent involvement with some of the wilder kids.

Language Arts Literacy

The state average for Language Arts Literacy was 65% in 2013.

460 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2013.

460 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 New Jersey used the New Jersey Assessment of Skills and Knowledge (NJ ASK) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in language arts literacy and math, and in grades 4 and 8 in science. The NJ ASK is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New Jersey. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Language Arts Literacy

The state average for Language Arts Literacy was 82% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 69% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 79% in 2013.

All Students46%

Not economically disadvantaged48%
General education43%
Not migrant37%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the New Jersey Department of Education. If there are a small number of students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students73%

Special education34%
General education67%
Not migrant62%

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 58% in 2013.

n/a

n/a
Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 New Jersey used the New Jersey Biology Competency Test (NJBCT) to assess students in Biology. The New Jersey Biology Competency Test (NJBCT) is standards-based, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of New Jersey. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the test.

Biology I

Not economically disadvantagedn/a
General educationn/a
Not migrantn/a

Source: New Jersey Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Below average

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Below Average

Reading growth at this school

1 This rating is based on 2012-13 NJ ASK, HSPA, and/or NJBCT results from the New Jersey Department of Education.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 Median Growth Percentiles in math and reading from from the New Jersey Department of Education.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 4% 9%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 51%N/A34%

• Ms Stella Nwanguma

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

30 Cooper Folly Road