No rating

Castle Academy

Private | PK-8, 10

Living in Barrington

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $160,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $840.

Posted February 10, 2014

I put my child in castle after I thought public school was failing her. She has some disabilities, which they recognized and had her tested and classified. We had a great 2 yrs. Then I started hearing too many teachers speak so badly of their employer. Then my child's teacher finally became honest with me and said she didn't think that they could offer what she needed. I mentioned this to the administration and quickly the opinion of that teacher was dismissed. I finally removed my daughter after I witnessed her being bullied by another child while many teachers just stood there and watched. My child finally told me she was scared to be in school. That's all it took for me. They have some great teachers but unfortunately they will be over shadowed by the bad.

Posted January 11, 2014

My daughter is in the Pre-K program. I love all of her teachers. She excitedly tells us about her day every night. She is constantly coming home with projects. She is not in kindergarten yet, but has homework every night. She is able to read a bit and do math. I am highly impressed with what she has learned. I also love that they are open everyday, except major holidays. Even on the snowy days, they are open. That is a big plus for my husband and I since we have to work at all of these times. I will recommend this school 100%!

Posted December 31, 2013

My daughter began attending Castle Academy during the summer and is now in the first grade. She loves it! The teachers and staff are friendly. I was concerned my daughter wouldnt be challenged because she scored really high in a gifted and talented exam in New York, in Castle Academy she is in fact challenged and they manage to make the work enjoyable. I love that she comes home showing me where continents are located, and she is eager to study for her weekly spelling test. The school also is excellent in building confidence! My daughter proudly told me she read a book to the class and everyone enjoyed the story. I couldnt be any happier with the education she is receiving. I love that the principal is strict but at the same time extremely friendly and the children love and respect her. Clearly I am very happy with the school!

Posted November 8, 2013

my school is the greatest. I find everyone to be loving, caring and the education is outstanding.

Posted November 30, 2012

Reading many of these reviews I am becoming very angry. As an alumni I truly do miss the school. I miss my friends and especially my teachers. After graduating 8th grade and moving onto a public high school I cannot say I have had the personal connection with any teachers since. My teachers were like family so were my friends. I could trust everybody. I never felt uncomfortable and the building is the cleanest place ever. Personally I didnt like non-trip days during summer camp. NO CHILD wants to do school work during summer break. My parents would drop me off at 7:30am and pick me up at 6pm. The TV time wasnt that bad. We would watch a lot of movies during before and after school care. In middle school you could opt out of movie time and do homework. Also at any agetime to eat breakfast was offered in a classroom. I learned so much during school. I learned to be polite and respectful most importantly. I hate that in public school. To be honest I hate public school. Some parents complained about the school not supporting ADHD students. I was fine. I had to learn how to deal with it with out medication and I did. THey were very supportive.

Posted August 2, 2012

We sent our 2 kids here for a week - a co-worker raved about the place and the price couldn't be beat. However, it was clear that their strict rules were not going to work with our 2 year old and they were not willing to cut him any slack even though it was his first week. He had multiple potty accidents and was obviously upset when we picked him up at the end of the day. We sent the kids to a new school this week (that was much more expensive, granted) and the change in attitude and behavior at night is unbelievable. There are a lot of really troubling reviews here and on other websites as well. If your kids are easy going and can make the most of any situation, the price may be worth it, but for any kid who needs any extra tlc, this is not the place for you.

Posted July 12, 2012

I have got to say how very disappointed I am after reading peoples comments. My daughter has been with Castle Academy since grade K and now going into 2nd and loves everyday. The education is wonderful and nothing of a Public School. Yes Ms. Maureen is strick, but you pay for what you get. This school is safe and the staff takes wonderful care of your children and not to mention very CLEAN. My daughter loves everyone in the building and loves every moment learning there and is happy to be there. The class sizes are small and the attention your child gets is amazing. I will be at this school for a very long time, as I am very happy and would rate this school as EXCELLENT.

Posted June 10, 2011

Very unhappy with this school, although the school is the most sterile school in the nation (smell of bleach daily), my daughter's teacher was cold, unloving (pre-K). My daughter use to tell me that she did not want to go to school nearly every morning. Although the academics are advanced, the teachers seem to forget that they are 4 year olds quickly. My child started displaying agressive play while attending. I observed her on several occasions, what I found was my child playing school with her dolls and yelling at them, telling them to get away from her desk, teling them they could not go to the bathroom and once I heard her say "what do I speak Chinese". Remember she is talking to her dolls. When I would pick her up I would hear other tearchers yelling as well, this appeared to be an accepted means of discipline. Friends of mine that sent their kids there also have removed them as well for simiular reasons. I would never recommend this school ever.

Posted October 22, 2010

Maybe a great school at some time before now. The special classes, such as Spanish and computer classes, are often cancelled or ignored. My children has not had a single fire drill. Teachers are often concerned with their needs over care of the children during field trips. Teacher absences are extremely disruptive to the entire operation -- to the point where services are not provide and lunches are negatively affected. The teacher seem to try, but many are children themselves. It seems more like a summer camp, than a school. Difficult economic times seem to have had a profound affect upon this once great school.

Posted April 13, 2010

I absolutely love this school and my children do as well. The kids do watch TV until 8am when school officially begins. Before 8am, they can also go to a area were the children may eat their breakfast. After 8am, they move to their respective classrooms. Most important are my children's test grades. The Terra Nova tests are taken every year and my children's levels are all above average compared to other children their age and grade. We love the programs; Computer, Art, and Spanish. Not only are they learning to speak Spanish but to write and read it as well.

Posted March 23, 2010

Before I decided on this school, I was like you reading all of these reviews to see if I was making the right choice. Well, after one visit, I felt that I was making the right choice until I starting seeing the 'bigger' picture with this school. Yes, it is true that there is entirely too much TV watching and that the staff does not come off as the friendliest group in the world. I have to tell you that I am very disappointed in this school. Staff members bicker all the time regarding the children and there is always yelling among the staff. Bottom line..why pay for this when you can get the same if not better education in a public school for free.If you live in NJ and own a home,you are already paying for it! If private school is your only choice, please pass on this one.

Posted March 15, 2009

I just re-enrolled my 2 children and I need to tell everyone that even with a tough economy I wouldn't put my children anywhere else. I can drop them off anytime after 5:30 am and pick them up late and I know they are safe. My one child is 3 grades above and my other child is right where they need to be with a lot of help. I would tell anyone to try it. It fits anyones needs.

Posted March 15, 2009

Every school is not for every child. Castle Academy is an a remarkable place for children. I teach there and know for a fact that all the teachers have 4 year degrees and are state certified. We do have an art program, just not an after school art class. All the children receive art lessons 2 times weekly. I love teaching here and have loved it for many years. Again, every school is not for every parent. Come and see for yourself. You will really love it.

Posted February 26, 2009

I can't tell you how great this school is! It is that and more. My family has been there for 9 plus years and every minute has been great. Ms. Maureen runs a tight ship and we love it!

Posted November 17, 2008

I sent my son there for 2 years. He is ADHD and they did not have the patience, the teaching staff or the knowledge to work with him. Their best advice was to medicate him and as a punishment when he didnt behave send him back to the kindergarten teacher who could best work with his behavior. He is now in pubic school and his teacher doesn't believe the records from Castle are about the same child. The public school teachers are actually certified teachers (most as castle are not) and are trained to work and teach kids. My son is doing great is thriving and loves school. The principal at Castle actually told my son and I that he and his behavior were unacceptable and if it didn't change she would kick him out. Can you imagine having someone tell your child they are unacceptable?

Posted October 29, 2008

Oh i sent my grand neice there quite some time ago when she was very young ,the school and day nursey is everything you read about it clean,personel helpful,muareen a taskmaster to her employee for our children, well we moved out of the area some five years ago and still all my neice can do is wish that she was back there

Posted October 22, 2008

All I can say is that I am so happy I made the switch from my in-home daycare to Kids Castle. My daughter is in Miss Barbara s class (18-24month). I have noticed such a difference ever since my daughter has been there. I was told by Miss Barbara how she reads to them all day. Well, this is true because my daughter has shown a huge interest in reading and coloring ever since she started there, she wants to read book after book all night. I pick up my daughter at different times, she is always reading, or sitting in a circle listening to a story. She comes home everyday with new crafts or things she colored. Miss Barbara is an amazing teacher as well as all the other teachers I have encountered there. You will fall in love with the place the minute you walk in the door I did

Posted October 10, 2008

I worked at Kid's Castle for a little over 3 weeks. During that short time span, I moved up from a teacher's aide, to a lead teacher. The transition, however, was horrible. I was placed in a room one morning with 9 children (2 children over ratio), and was told absoultely nothing about them, including their names! Nothing improved from that day on. I was in a classroom for close to 6 hours a day - not including playroom and outside time - with an upwards of 12 children a day. The only reason I would suggest letting your children is for the Teachers. They are wonderful.

Posted September 28, 2008

My Son has been attending the school since preschool. Amazingly there has been no problems with the adminstration. The quality of education is superb! To relate this school to a public school is unfair. The classes are small (real small, compared to public schools), students get persanlized attention. My son is in a class of 7. Time spent on the subject is more then enough. My son is no angel and at times calls out in class. The treachers are expierenced and overcome that and help my son contoll his excitemnt. Mrs Maureen ( school adminstrator) is a drill seargent and I do not mean in a negative way. She cares about every student and knows each by thier name. The one area that needs inprovement is extracurricular activities. There is only chess and scrabble. No music, art, sports... I feel she should incorperate these activities.

Posted August 18, 2008

My two sons have been going to the Kid's Castle for close to 2 years. I really like the daycare because it is an academic program. When I can, I pick my kids up at odd times to know what is going on. They watch a little more TV then I'd like. However, go look at other daycares and see how dirty they are. This daycare is spotless. I have loved all the teachers my boys have had and so have they. They have a great program called Tumble Books which is phenomenal at teaching pre-reading skills. The few times that I have had concerns they have been addressed immediately. I do not like being ignored or put off. It makes me happy to know that if I have a question/concern/suggestion it is resolved within 24 hours or less. I recommend this program.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian 1% 8%