No rating

Our Lady Of Mt Carmel School

Private | PK-8

Living in Berlin

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $173,900. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $930.

Posted Sunday, August 17, 2014

I went to OLMC since first grade. In the beginning I love it!!! But then they changed principals. The new teachers are bad and the old ones are getting cranking. From silently lunches to scaring students with SARS (student action reports) this school is not the same as it was back then. Once having us carry around SARS and taking them out every class to remind us of what we would get if we even breathed wrong! A classmate of mine got one for not having a red pen when the teacher had red pens on her desk!!! And the same teacher had us read milkweed in an "interactive" way by giving us tags with a triangle representing if we were Jewish, a work evader, ect. And we had numbers on are tags that she called us by. Yet again the same teacher accused my class of stealing her phone and Papers when they were both on her desk! And then the music teacher! Don't get me started! She had silent lunches, told students to shut up (also in class and once in church) The Spanish teacher doesn't know how of teacher, the language teacher talks more about her family then teaches as well as has an interactive reading of a book about the holocaust, the music teacher is rude, the principal does nothing!

Posted June 23, 2004

Mrs McVeigh is a great addition to the specials staff with over 30 years if Spanish teaching experience.

Posted October 8, 2013

Mrs Heister, the advanced math teacher is second to none. She is by far one of the most caring, intelligent, disciplined teachers I have ever had the priveledge of knowing. She is the strongest asset in this school.

Posted March 27, 2013

I thought highly of this school until an incident with my son in which a teacher put his safety at risk, and which I witnessed. I informed the principal of this and while he apologized, nothing was done to the teacher, in fact her arrogance was such she said she didn't care if the principal was told. The teachers here dictate to the principal. There is NO advocate for the children. Your children will not be protected.

Posted February 13, 2013

My Grandaughter started OLMC this October in 6th grade. We could no be more pleased with everything. The teacher, students and facility have welcomed her with open arms, and she is doing wonderful. We LOVE OLMC!

Posted October 5, 2009

This is the school of my parisha and the children are getting a great education from the school. They have caring people educating them because they really care about the children and it's not just a job for them. Here we can keep GOD in the school. This is a major problem with the public school system. We need to get GOD back in the schools. For some children this is the only way they learn how to pray.

Posted November 13, 2008

I also have had a bad experince with olmc. I have to say the teacher was great, but the principal did not have the patients or the care to understand my childs needs. All she would say to me was this is not working and there is defiently something wrong with your child. I was very disapointed with the principal, all she wanted was my child out of the school. I am glad my child does not attens OLMC.

Posted August 31, 2008

OLMC is a very strong academic elementary school. It's strength comes from building healthy, responsible, family oriented students as well as many parents being involved. However, they're Jr. High program is a work in progress. Unfortunately, being a private school that does not get as much state/federal funding as a public school, it cannot compete with the public middle school system when it comes to activities and electives (minor courses). But, I cannot deny that a student who graduates from OLMC will be more than prepared academically for High School.

Posted August 29, 2008

OLMC has been wonderful learning experience for my PreSchooler and 2nd grader. I know they will continue to grow spiritually and emotionally. They will also be provided with the best education possible!

Posted August 28, 2008

My three children go to OLMC and we are so happy with the school and all of the teachers, Sisters and staff. I keep waiting for the one year that dosen't go so well but I have come to the conclusion that at OLMC that day will not come for us!! With the way the Church is changing so much I feel very blessed that my children are the first priority at this school and that the change for them is going little by little because of the efforts of Sister and the faculity. I thank God for my family and the family I have at OLMC.

Posted August 27, 2008

I have three children who currently attend OLMC school and I am so happy to call this school our 'Family'. We have experienced God in every aspect of the school from the excellent teachers to our caring principal to the children and parents that make up this community. It is truly a blessing to be acquanited with so many wonderful people who share the same ideals. As a graduate of OLMC, I have chosen to live in Berlin Borough mainly because I wanted my children to benefit from the loving childhood that I had at OLMC. The Sisters of Mercy and the involvement that they have had over the years are something that I am so grateful for. I felt well prepared not just academically but also spiritualy and socially. I see now with my own children that the benefits far outweigh the financial sacrifices.

Posted August 10, 2008

We have one daughter who will be going into her second year of preschool and our second daughter who will be in the preschool program for the first time. We are all so excited. The teachers are wonderful and the curriculum is right on target. Our daughter is so comfortable learning about God. We live in Berlin Borough which has great schools but we would not send our children any where else!

Posted March 19, 2008

Currently I am in 7th grade at OLMC. Next year I will be graduating, but I will never forget my experience here. Ever since the 1st day of kindergarten at Mt. Carmel, I've felt safe, happy to be here, and I knew that I was being cared for. There is a loving atmosphere, and I'd never change schools. After graduating, I will miss Mt. Carmel. I've made so many friends here, and I loved all my teachers.
—Submitted by a student

Posted September 19, 2007

OLMC is a fantastic school. There have been various members of my family attend OLMC since it opened in 1956. Now my 4 children attend. I credit the caring Sisters of Mercy for the success I enjoy today. OLMC provides an outstanding education in a family like environment. The school recently celebrated its 50th anniversary and I am sure it will be around for 50 more years.

Posted April 6, 2007

I did not have a good experience at OLMC. My son attended 1st grade for half of the year and I needed to pull him out. My son has loved school since preschool until he attended OLMC. His teacher was extremely tough for 1st grade students and the principal was not willing to hear this feedback. I was very disappointed in OLMC.

Posted May 11, 2006

I graduated from Mount Carmel in 2001, and am now a freshman in college. Mount Carmel was a great grade school to attend. The teachers were always there to answer problems, and your classmates feel like family, since the school values and encourages strong relationships. There are plenty of after school activites that make school fun and allow the student to be involved.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted August 24, 2005

My daughter will be attending her second year of preschool this fall. Everyone has been wonderful! The teachers are outstanding and the parent involvement is fantasic. The curriculum includes the typical preschool material as well as religion, computers and gym. My daughter has learned so much academically and socially. I will be sending her here thru 8th grade even though we live in a great public school district. It is wonderful to be part of this great community that shares our family's beliefs and moral code.

Posted June 3, 2005

I love OLMC because, being a student there right now, even though it's my first year I feel totally at home. I have lessons and band practice every friday with Mrs.Malloy,and a volleyball clinic on mondays. Parents help out a lot. They're on the PTA, they go around at lunch, they do a lot of stuff. I really like doing cool projects like building castles in history, and doing science fair in 6th grade. This is my all-time favorite school.
—Submitted by a student

Posted December 29, 2004

This school really does become a second family for the children. Our children are safe, loved and happy while getting a top notch education.

Posted August 26, 2003

We have a daughter going into 5th grade and her experience has been outstanding so far. The school has a family feel to it that I have rarely seen before and God is present not just in theology, but in the caring manner of every teacher I have met there.

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 9%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Camden

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1 North Cedar Avenue