9-12 & Ungraded
Clayton, NJ

Posted December 13, 2011
I think the Clayton school districts sinks! The teachers have no control over the students. Students that have behavior problems are allowed to be in regular classes where they disturb the learning of the other students. There standardize testing scores are below the state average year in and year out. I can't wait to get my son out of this district.

Posted October 18, 2007
I graduated from Clayton H.S in 2000. While education was perhaps slightly above average for public schools, they still fall into the trap of teaching students lists of facts, rather than teaching them how to learn on their own. Still, the opportunity for involvement in multiple extracurriculars is a huge plus, and the relatively low student-to-teacher ratio is beneficial, as well.

Posted October 18, 2006
I am a former student and graduate of Clayton High School. I have to say that even though CHS has the common High School elements it does have monay postive outlooks and aspects of it. What other school would allow your child/children to particiapte in more then one activity at one time or season. Or even what other school can your child go out for a sports team without having to tryout for it. Everyone gets a fair chance a CHS. The academic part of CHS is as best as the teachers can make it. The teachers need the help of the parents and the community, but it seems that neither parties want to help in anyway possible. CHS is a great edcuation experience, the children & parents need to help make it a great one!

Posted October 13, 2006
I find this school horrible. I go here now. Parents don't send you children to this school!

Posted June 05, 2005
Clayton High has the same problems any other school has. But, overall I believe the school system is very good. I graduated from Clayton, all 3 of my children graduated from there, and my brother went there. Every one of us had chances to do what we wanted to do in the school. We all had sports, music, clubs, drama, and other activities to help mold our futures. All of this along with some really fine teachers ,who truly cared for us as students, made all of our time in school enjoyable and very educational. Some of the teachers I had in school were still there when my children attended and my children enjoyed their classes as much as I did. Parents, please get involved in your child's education and help them to be prepared for life that much more. Teachers can only do so much.

Clayton High School 3

Posted April 21, 2005
I graduated from Clayton High School just last year. I do have to agree that in the Math and Science area I did not feel as prepared for college. But in English and History I felt completely prepared. I enjoyed the low class sizes and one on one attention. As I have read everyone complain about this school, I must say its not all the teachers to be lacking. Yes, CHS does have its problems as every other school would have.(ie , teasing and such) Not much can change that until parents get more involved with their child's life. Yes, Clayton isn't like Washington Township or any of those richer districts but until the people of the town pass a new budget and stop being cheap with their purses then no one has any right to complain about CHS unless they are willing to do something about it.

Posted November 08, 2004
I am a former student of CHS. I am close to obtaining my degree in a difficult science/math related field from a University outside of the state, and CHS gave me little preparation towards my four years at an accredited University. I realized my first week that every other student was more prepared than I was in areas like Calculus and Physics. I was very well prepared in the area of Language/Literature. Fellow students could not believe that I had not even seen or heard of simple things that they learned in 10th grade. I agree that a lot of verbal harassment goes on as well, and I know teachers who egg it on, let alone do anything about it. I would not send a child here again if you paid me to. Parents should invest in a school system that will properly prepare children for the real world.

Posted October 24, 2004
My two sons were the 4th generation in my family to graduate from Clayton High School. My oldest son graduated last May from Rowan University with recognition for his work with his Public Relations major. He completed in 4 years, which I credit CHS for helping prepare him with AP classes and cooperation with GCC, where he earned college credits while in high school. My younger son is a junior at Rutgers University, New Brunswick, with a double major, and on task to also graduate in 4 years. Unfortunately the principal for most of their years was lacking, but that has been remedied. The teachers, the challenging curriculum and enhancements, academic and athletic, offered by the school allowed my sons to excel. CHS has much to offer IF the students and parents make the effort. It does work!

Posted June 17, 2004
To the parents who didn't like the school I say it all is what the child and the parent make of it. I have had two children go through the school and one still there. The parents need to get involved and participate in thier childs education. Of the two children that have graduated, one is done college(deans list) and the other is just starting college with four scholarships. The one remaining child is class president and will also attend a major college. Clayton High School was and continues to be a positive experience in my childrens continued growth.

Posted June 11, 2004
I went through this school system for most of my primary education. I also currently have nieces and nephews in this school system. Student fighting, harrassment, and verbal abuse are common here. The level of academics and the quality of the teaching is subpar. I strongly recommend against sending your child here.

Clayton High School
55 Pop Kramer Blvd., Clayton, NJ  08312
Last modified Clayton High School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Clayton High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top