No rating

St Clare Elementary School

Private | PK-8

Living in Clifton

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $305,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,710.

Posted June 6, 2013

My wife and I are very impressed by this school. I agree with the positive reviews in that the school has an excellent math and science programs; great discipline; nurturing; and top notch teachers. Parents are very important participants in the school.

Posted June 4, 2013

I am very, very happy with the quality of the school. It offers excellent instruction and teaches the children to be kind, but disciplined. Old fashion school, but in a good way.

Posted December 9, 2012

I am glad I chose Saint Clare. I had considered Lacordaire, but two of my neighbors spoke highly of the school. Good choice. Academics: A Discipline: A

Posted October 20, 2012

I am still pretty new to the school (my daughter started this year). I am very impressed with the math and the Language Arts programs. I came from the public middle school in Clifton. There is no comparison on the educational level.

Posted August 21, 2012

I normally don't post reviews, but I feel that one is in order this time. The math teacher accomplishes incredible things. She has brought up to the school's high level students who came from public school or other private schools. She pushes, and pushes the kids and they all end up scoring very high and being accepted to very good high schools. Many got accepted this year to high-honors programs. I admire her for her dedication.

Posted August 9, 2012

My kids went here but we decided to pull. For the most part the math was the real issue. No real math teacher or program. Spent additional thousands on tutors over the years. We felt the principle was disengaged and found she didn't or couldn't remember most of the kids/parents names. Office staff has attitude issues and grounds are not well kept. Teaching staff is good with exception to the math program. No sports or clubs for kids. Very sad to see this school go down a few notches.

Posted August 7, 2012

The science teacher is great and all kids love her. The math teacher is a touch cookie and she pushes the kids hard but... hey, she gets the job done.

Posted July 23, 2012

I'd like to share that the math and science programs in this school are superior. While my daughter is entering third grade, I am aware of how well the upper-grade students do in their Terranova tests. Also, they always announce and I hear it from the parents themselves, that many of the graduates are granted academic scholarships and are accepted in the best high schools in the area. In need of improvement, though, is the communication and the principal should be more tactful. A very good school, all in all, so I am recommending it without hesitation.

Posted July 18, 2012

I am actually excited about my second child joining the school. My daughter has been at St. Clare's for over 4 years and she's very happy, and so am I. All her teachers, from Pre-K through second grade have been fantastic and truly caring. Most parents at the school at very happy. Of course, there are always some sour grapes, but that happens everywhere. A nice place to send your child. You will surely get top education and a sound spiritual formation.

Posted June 26, 2012

The school's best days are gone. St. Clare is losing good teachers since the change in principal and pastor 4 years ago. THE POSITIVES: Math curriculum from grades K - 2 is great. The science program from grades 3 to 8 is phenomenal! The Home and School Association is well run. THE NEGATIVES: Math for grades 3-8 is unorganized and not well taught (half of the kids need tutoring). There is also no emphasis on writing in the middle school. My child is in the middle school and I have not seen any writing samples nor has my child has had to do any book reports. In addition, if you have any issues you need to discuss with the principal, please be prepared to have your issues downplayed or ignored. Really poor administrative staff.

Posted February 28, 2012

My kids are very happy in this school. No complaints whatsoever and the education is great.

Posted February 23, 2012

I came to the school for its excellent math program. If you care for math, science, discipline and good values, this is the place for you. Parents group is also great. They work very hard.

Posted February 17, 2012

I like this school because it is small and you get to know everyone. To me it counts to know who my children is sitting next to for 7 hours a day. The Home and School group is very active. Teachers are very caring and have many years of experience. Children are well spoken and well behaved. My oldest is ready to graduate and when I visited two high schools, the principals spoke highly of all the students in their schools who came from St. Clare's.

Posted February 16, 2012

I also agree with the positive reviews. If you are looking for a place with excellent moral values and academics, this is it. Yes, there could be more extra curricular activities, but no place is perfect. Anyway, my view is that schools should be to assist parents with the moral and spiritual foundation of their children. St. Clare's does a very good job at that. The second thing school should do is provide a strong academic foundation. St. Clare's children score out of the charts in the Terranova and COOP tests and get accepted into the honors programs at the best high schools. In my humble opinion, St. Clare's is accomplishing what I think it should. I have a third grader and a sixth grader. Thanks for listening.

Posted February 15, 2012

Hello ~ I fully agree with the positive reviews. Just started this year but so far, so good. Great place.

Posted February 15, 2012

I picked the BEST school for my daughter. She loves Saint Clare School so much, she would never think about leaving. She is getting emotional already thinking that next year she graduates. The teachers, principal, priest and the Home and School Association have been a great asset to our school. The academics here are the best!!!! The teachers put their heart and soul into teaching our children and care for them. The teachers help the children achieve their potential. The children are brought up with the same foundation that they are taught at home. The children respect one another and have the values and morals that the parents teach them. The Math and Science programs are both A+. Also, I know that when I drop my daughter off in the morning, she is safe and cared for. We are thankful to have the BEST TEACHERS and the BEST CATHOLIC SCHOOL IN CLIFTON!!!!!!

Posted February 15, 2012

Please most likely to close in June.. Thanks to our beloved principal more people have left in the past two years then the entire schools history!

Posted February 15, 2012

As a person who went to this school as a child and later sent my own children, I can only say that the last few years I watched the school decline in both quality and morally. I removed my children last year, as I felt the school and its leadership did not promote the Christian way nor offered any true educational benefit any longer. There are no clubs or sports offered anymore at the school. The once renowned Cheerleading program is virtually gone. It breaks my heart to see St. Clare s reduced to this level. I agree with other posters that poor administration from both the principal and the priests have led to the decline. It appears to be only about the money and not the kids. I will be the first to say that St Clare s of the past was #1, but St. Clare of today, I drive by daily looking for the for sale sign. What a shame!

Posted February 15, 2012

My Child and I have had nothing but a great experience at SCS. My Child has been going to this school since pre-K (6years in)and the academics have always been strong!!!! I have had his current teacher volunteer her personal time to help my son in grammar. All the teachers are caring, loving and kind. The school now has more students then the past years. SCS is going to be around for many many years thanks to all the caring parents, teachers and staff. Love the school, love the teachers, love the kids!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted February 15, 2012

To the person who is referring to Saint Clare's as run down, school programs cancelled, for sale sign... blah blah blah...NOT SURE WHAT SCHOOL YOU HAVE BEEN DRIVING PAST BUT IT OBVIOUSLY IS NOT THE SAINT CLARE'S ON ALLWOOD! its extremely obvious you have no children in this school because you are not full informed about it at ALL! So for your information this school has an advanced math program, school was the winner of the best practice award of 2011, 2nd place winner on the towns beautification competition, there's sports, Year book committee, Field trips, school parties, weekend events for parents & kids. Before you come on to bash any facility I would recommend doing your homework. Last but not least the HASA is a wonderful, well rounded, educated, dedicated group of woman who devote their time & energy in to the school and making sure the kids have plenty of activities! As a parent and as someone who donates a lot of time to this school I find your post offensive, immature and unprofessional. I'm sure as an adult you could channel your negative energy into something! :)

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 16% 9%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Affiliation
  • Roman catholic
Associations
  • NCEA

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious

• Computer lab
  • Library
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Diocese of Paterson

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

39 Allwood Road