Morris Co School Of Tech

Public | 9-12 & ungraded | 2 students

Posted January 14, 2014

In reference to the parent saying that the VPA academy is bad, I have to say this. Your child would be in the Dance Academy at MCST therefore the soul focus is dance. If your child was to go to the other side of VPA, the Multimedia division, he/she would see a different side of VPA that focuses on film, animation, 3D development, etc. I'm not in VPA at all, so I Don't know exactly what they do in the academy. Also there is not a academy specifically for acting, singing and dancing, but if you wish to have all three of these things I would suggest to go to the school for Dance and be involved in the Drama Club which has more of a singing aspect with a musical every year. ALL of VPA is involved in plays constantly, and dancers still can try our for acting parts if they wish.

Posted January 19, 2013

MCST is one of the best-kept secrets in Morris County and the local school districts like it that way. They do not promote MCST because (1) they have to send resources ($$) out of the district; (2) they have to transport the students to MCST; and (3) they think it takes good students out of the district, which it does. MCST was a game-changer for my son, who wants to be a film director and graduated from the Academy of Visual and Performing Arts (AVPA) last June. There are two tracks in AVPA: dance and multi-media, but everyone minors in theater, and that was the best thing that ever happened to my son. There is no better theater teacher than the one at MCST and what he learned in her classes was more important than anything else he studied in 12 years of school. All of the teachers were good, but the ones in his Academy were the best...he received individual attention all the way through because they are good people and they care. MCTS stresses the Challenger Program and that was ideal for my son too...for their senior year, they take all college classes and do an internship...it makes them mature and he started college w/21 credits counting toward his degree.

Posted November 23, 2011

When I came to the school I was nervous but excited to make new friends. However I had a horrible freshmen year. The people in my academy excluded me, they got together & never invited me. Making friends has always been a problem & to have my academy like this was horrible. I also felt the teacher was prejudice against me but I will never know. I went to guidance to ask to switch my academy but I never told them why because I didn't want to cause any problems or get my parents involved w/the prejudice thing. Also I thought if I said I was being excluded I was afraid guidance would not take me seriously. I know it sounds stupid but it affected me emotionally. All my classmates had parties a lot of times & never invited me. I always found out about those parties or like the time they went to friendlys when they told the teacher. Everyone was there but me, no one asked me to go, I wanted to scream in class that day. I never had anyone to talk to. This yr. Mcst has a paper n every classroom w/ rules about prejudice, racism & discrimination. They also have mentors in each academy for the 9th grade & peer leaders. It would have helped me last yr but now it's too late, I switched out.

Posted May 6, 2011

MCST listens and responds. Our son experienced consistent racial jokes/slurs during his first year at MCST. The staff was responsive and supportive to his concerns and has shared that prejudging and harassment of any sort will not be tolerated. We eagerly look forward to the next steps that the administration will take to activate their commitment to intolerance.

Posted September 22, 2010

I am currently a sophmore in the Business Academy. Leaving my schools to venture into uncharted waters was not something I entertained, it was my mother who suggested I look into the program. Being an 8th grader, the thought of leaving friends I had gone to school with for 9 years was unimagianable. My mom suggested I apply and go through the process and see what happened. I got in and attending would help be better achieve my college goals. I never intended to love going, but as the saying goes Mothers know best. I love the school, the sports programs and I can't say enough about the professional, dedicated caring teachers. If a students doesn't do well here, its because they don't want to apply themselves. Anyone who is looking for a quality education, should consider this school!

Posted May 2, 2010

MCST adopted a Global Learning (GL) program that is supposed to instill 21st century skills into the students. One teacher 'teaches' by having the kids read online powerpoint files (with missing info) and taking an online quiz. There are few notes. Is this teaching? Not to me. At a recent new-freshmen event, a teacher said the kids will not be 'spoon fed.' However, they do need to be taught. They are teenagers, not adults. Right now, the Global Learning program needs A LOT of work. Be prepared to help your kids with homework. Aside from this, it's a great school with mostly great teachers.

Posted January 23, 2010

MCVTS is one of Morris County's best kept secrets. Many people dismiss this school because they believe it is just a vocational technical school for non academic achievers when actually the opposite is true. The school is well run with modern facilities and up-to-date technology. The education the students receive is outstanding. If you are at all curious about the phenomenal education, facilities and staff at MCVTS then you should attend an open house.

Posted July 7, 2009

My son is going into his Junior year at MCST,and I am so very grateful that we found this ideal environment. He is with students that have the same interests as he does, the teachers are all professionals and have a much more realistic approach to teaching than traditional high school tecachers. My daughter will also be starting in the fall, and we are excited that she will be able to focus on what she loves, which will hopefully guide her on her career path. I can't say enough about how positive an experience this has been. The only downside is the commute.

Posted July 6, 2009

There's a lot of things i can say about mcst, overall everyone loves the school and loves to hate the school. Its a collection of the most unique, talented and strange individuals in morris county and we wouldn't have it any other way. Mcst is not for everyone, although most people eventually get into the groove. We by nature are a school of elitists but that just motivates you more because it is very competitive. The staff is amazing for the most part and the academies are held to very high standard,especially the health care academy. The only bad thing i could say about this school is that it is not very well organized. Most students spend their four years at the school still wondering about how everything works. If your a prospective student don't be afraid to shadow, it will give you an idea of what your getting yourself into.

Posted March 30, 2009

I love every minute of my kid's stay at MCST. He actually described his Principal as 'cool', a comment I did not expect from a high schooler in America! And I found out why when I went to atend his induction into the National Nonors Society held at MCST. Great school, wonderful atmosphere, a boon that came our way - I was dreading how my kid's academics, already in bad shape, would turn out to be. He is just so focussed on his education now. I highly recommend it. The healthcare program is so focussed, I cannot believe it.

Posted February 17, 2009

i love my school! this is my second year in the full time program. MCST is the best. All the teachers are great at teaching and do all they can to make sure you do good. the kids that fail are the ones that dont care at all. most students here are very interested in doing well. there is hardly any need for disaplinarys to get involved with the students. everyone is such a good person. its very rare to find someone who is bullied or gets in fights. i am in the vet science porgram and its amazing. so much fun and very interaticve with the animals. i would defently recomend vet science to anyone who wants to eventually go into the animal field.

Posted February 1, 2009

I have been a member of the faculty for many years. In that time, I have seen Morris County School of Technology become one of the premiere schools in New Jersey. We have broken out of the mold of a school where you send your student just to learn a vocation to a school of specialization. Students here opt to leave their friends in their respective home towns to become part of a new and wonderful experience in learning. Here, the students can achieve far more than if they had decided to remain in their home school district and later pursue their dreams. I do agree that there is always room for improvement, but overall, I have seen great growth and progress over the years. I look forward to continue to grow within this school community.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 12, 2008

Good school. I like to think that I stopped worrying too much about my kid after he got into MCST. His grades have improved. I have heard stories from other parents,one of whose kids goes to MCST and the other to a normal high school, that the difference in educational standards is amazing. I love this school. The only crib is about the long commute back and forth for kids.

Posted June 13, 2007

I was very eager to have my child attend the Morris County School of Technology as a full-time student. I was attracted by the low class sizes and the fact that students need a solid background of academic achievement in order to be accepted. MCST was like a private school, without the cost. I am disappointed after my child's first year. Many teachers don't actively instruct students, but allow them to 'hang out' or teach themselves. Freshmen need a foundation of academic instruction in order to succeed...MCST did not provide that for my child. Interestingly, the administration at MCST works overtime to attract top students, but not to retain them. They fail to realize that many students actually love learning! The reason given for most departures is that friends are missed. If my child leaves it will be because very little teaching is occurring. Little new learning took place.

Language Arts Literacy

The state average for Language Arts Literacy was 92% in 2013.

136 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

2010

Math

The state average for Math was 80% in 2013.

136 students were tested at this school in 2013.

2011

2010

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 New Jersey used the High School Proficiency Assessment (HSPA) to test students in grade 11 in language arts literacy and math. The HSPA is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New Jersey. Students are required to pass the HSPA in order to graduate. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Language Arts Literacy

Special education100%
General education100%
Not migrant100%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the New Jersey Department of Education. If there are a small number of students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 58% in 2013.

156 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 New Jersey used the New Jersey Biology Competency Test (NJBCT) to assess students in Biology. The New Jersey Biology Competency Test (NJBCT) is standards-based, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of New Jersey. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the test.

Biology I

Special educationn/a
General education97%
Not migrant97%

Source: New Jersey Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Above average

Test score rating
College readiness rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

College readiness rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

SAT participation

SAT college ready

Graduation rate

1 This rating is based on 2012-13 NJ ASK, HSPA, and/or NJBCT results from the New Jersey Department of Education.

2 This rating is based on composite SAT scores, ACT/SAT participation, and four-year adjusted graduation rates from 2012-13.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 16% 9%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 8%N/A34%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus
  • Technology

• Mr Scott Moffitt

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• STEM
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Technology
  • Vocational education

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

400 East Main Street