Hammarskjold Middle School

Public | 6-7 & ungraded | 11 students

Posted yesterday

This school is pretty good. It has mostly nice teachers and the kids are mostly good as well. There are a few insults flying around sometimes from some rude kids, but I have never seen a real case of bullying as a student. The work is hard enough to make standardized tests seem easy, and the teachers want students to do well. There is also a police officer and crossing guards to keep you safe. Janitors and other teachers definetely assist new kids with finding rooms and opening lockers. Finally, there are many after school clubs like basketball, drama club, and chorus .Overall, I think this is a very good school, as a student, but in the halls students need to be disciplined, there are a few not so nice teachers who don't update websites, and transitioning from elementary school is pretty hard. These are the only cons, though, and this is a school your children, as long as they work hard and are polite, will be proud to go to.

Posted May 24, 2014

The safety of your child at this school is top rated, as security employs retired law enforcement. Academically, teachers are on an inflated image and really are not interested in the best for your child, more interested in their own test ranking than the child as an individual. Teacher websites often not updated or utilized. Teachers mislead test prep thereby setting child for fail. The administration is more concerned about standardized tests than really teaching kids how to apply lessons in real life. Teachers very judgmental often transferring their own beliefs/feelings onto a child which creates an atmosphere of inappropriate conduct from teacher. If you send your child to this school you must be proactive and pragmatic with teachers.

Posted May 23, 2014

This school is terrible. Teachers are absent frequently. Rather than teach, teachers show videos or tell the students to google the subject matter. My son used to enjoy school but the lack of motivation by the majority of his teachers has made him disillusioned and unhappy. There is also rampant bullying which is tolerated by the incompetent school administrators. If you care for your child, do not go to this school. Aesthetically, the school is very pleasant but it's a facade for a horrible school system

Posted March 1, 2014

This school is really really hard to transition into. They act like it is the best school, but there are too many people, people are cursing and screaming, and it is just a very hard transition. This school has too many kids, should be two middle schools. I used to love school. Now I dread going there every day. I won't mention any names but some teachers are really mean. The only good thing is that most teachers are really nice and funny. This school should really step it up- I feel really bad for the oncoming sixth graders!!

Posted February 5, 2014

My son has struggled with reading since pre-school. I feel that I'm "doing battle" every time I have a meeting with the child study team. While I FINALLY got them to test him in 6th grade and fought for an IEP for him, they don't always follow it (ie, he's supposed to get up to 50% extra time on tests and doesn't get it.) I went to a neurodevelopmental pediatrician, who confirmed my suspicions of dyslexia and said that he had a language learning disorder. I thought that NOW I'd finally get some cooperation. A member of the child study team told me "that's not one of the 12 classifications for special education.." The school has been very good about putting him in a basic skills type of class, but I still don't think he's in the type of learning environment he needs to be in. I am so frustrated. I requested that they test him AGAIN and reassess his needs, and have a meeting next week.

Posted January 14, 2013

This is a great middle school! My brother just completed it a few years ago and is well above his peers in other districts.

Posted March 20, 2012

I currently attend this school and think it is amazing. I'm in honors classes and although they are harder than regular math and ILA classes, they are challenging but not too demanding. All the teachers are great and helpful, and the lunches are a huge step up from elementary lunches. Although we do not get recess, I do not miss it at all. In fact, I enjoy a schedule without recess because I think education always comes before playing. I always have time to play outside when I get home. Finally, the students are kind which makes it easy to make tons of friends.

Posted October 21, 2011

Oversized, clean, new, hard to transition are some words to describe Hammarskjold. First of all, it's really clean, and that's good. But it was such a big transition and the teachers didn't help at all. I learned how to open my locker on the 3rd week of school, because the teachers never helped me. It's also way too big. A lot of my next-to-next classes are all the way across the building, and it takes about 5 mins when I run. I mean, they have 8 elementary schools and 1 middle? Come on. The good thing about being big is that you can make many new friends. Again, the building is always squeaky clean, the lunch tastes good, and the teachers are nice. Some teachers give way too much homework and some are awfully hard in grading, but I like the clean part. Also, it's a new build so the AC is running well and the bully protection system is really safe. So it's okay. Oh yeah, and I won Vice President!

Posted October 18, 2011

The bully policy simply does not work in this town. They mishandled a bully situation and we are trying to undo the damage with a team of professionals. The professionals have even stated that this is no longer the town to raise kids. They have seen many kids in similar situations. You are just a number and no one cares. Our child is not the only one who has suffered, our entire family has suffered. Our child is no longer in this school system.

Posted December 17, 2010

I am now in 9th grade, but I finished 6th grade in the previous HMS building then started 7th grade in the new building. All I can is that EB has really outdone themselves. The school is massive with an extremely large auditorium (seats 1200). The school offers a lot technology implements such as SmartBoards, Senteos, Scantrons, computers, and projectors. All of this is available to all the teachers. The curriculum is challenging but isn't going to fail a child. The teachers are kind and understanding, and stay afterschool to help the ones that struggle. My most memorable experiences were Student Council (chief-of-staff), ILA, and science. If I didn't have a perfect future planned for me, I would have failed the grade and stayed back.

Posted July 12, 2010

First of all, I'm not so impressed by this school. Yes, it won the Blue Ribbon award but, it was in 1994 95. Sadly, now it is just a way for realtors to pump up a district. It's just a waste of a time if your hild doesn't get into any honor classes. The school curriculum isn't as advanced as New York schools, unless your child is in the honor program. By the way, there are no certain criterias on how your child can be choosen for the honor program, no special tests, and it is totally just somebody's subjectivity. The school is very well technically equipped, but some teachers can't use this advanced technology. Some teachers are very dedicated but others are extrememely weak and careless of the students' work. My child's ILA (English) teacher completely killed my child's interest in the English language.Before my child used to write stories and poems but, was quickly losing desire to write and read. It took a lot of time and strength as parents to help my kid care for English and want to progress in the subject. I hope the next year's teacher will help revive my kid's interest a lot better than we have in English again.

Posted April 20, 2010

Great school and great teachers and learning environment. I would recommend it highly!

Posted October 7, 2008

I go to this school as a 7 th grader and its teachers and curriculum are absolutely wonderful!
—Submitted by a student

Posted May 31, 2006

I have had two important and somewhat different types of experience there: my son was a straight-A student who began to act out in 6th grade with attendance problems and lower grades; my daughter is very gifted (A+s/As in honors courses) with artistic as well as intellectual talents. Both experiences at Hammarskjold were excellent; both my children were given the kind of attention appropriate to them. With my son, Hammarksjold staff helped me to 'scare him straight' by (among other things) describing how the Truant Officer handles such cases. He went on to a very successful high school career and is now attending Rutgers University. My daughter's talents have been encouraged in every way, both academically with rigorous honors classes and artistically with in- and out-of-school opportunities. Hammarskjold is very crowded (expansion will soon be underway) but very disciplined in every way. I couldn't be happier!

Posted February 11, 2006

I am very disappointed with Hammerskjold. The school is overcrowded, traffic is horrible! They don't teach the students how to organize themselves changing classes for the first time, My kids get more photocopied 'Packets' than books. Principal is very good. Discipline is good, after school activities OK, but no playground or recess. Character education program is failing.

Posted November 6, 2005

School is very overcrowded and you have almost 800 kids per grade. A lot of kids do not know each other. Some teachers are exellent and some are incompetent or just tired.

Posted June 26, 2005

I found the school offered the children no asistance or support in the transition from elementary school to middle school. Most of the children were in seperate smallers schools and have been droppped into this hugely different enviroment, with no real home room teacher, an unsupporting staff and a cruel administration that is out to punish children instead of resolving issues. I took my child out after one year and put him into Catholic School.

Posted January 18, 2005

The school is a bit overcrowded. There is an unspoken favortism that exists with the upper management of the school and the PTA. Otherwise, good teachers and a healthy environment to learn.
—Submitted by an administrator

Posted February 23, 2004

I currently have a child in both 6th and 7th grade. I am so very impressed with the vast majority of teachers and staff. They are wonderful about picking up the phone to talk to parents before issues become problems and to help ensure a partnership with the teachers/staff, the student and the family. I am truly pleased with this school, though would prefer the school system would go back to more basics such as diagraming sentences, emphasis on handwriting and more writing assignments in general

Language Arts Literacy

The state average for Language Arts Literacy was 66% in 2013.

684 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

684 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 New Jersey used the New Jersey Assessment of Skills and Knowledge (NJ ASK) to test students in grades 3 through 8 in language arts literacy and math, and in grades 4 and 8 in science. The NJ ASK is a standards-based test, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined for each grade by the state of New Jersey. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Language Arts Literacy

The state average for Language Arts Literacy was 65% in 2013.

653 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 64% in 2013.

653 students were tested at this school in 2013.

All Students85%

General education96%
Non-migrant91%
Limited English Proficient Current Plus Former67%
Scale: % at or above proficient

The different student groups are identified by the New Jersey Department of Education. If there are a small number of students in a particular group, the state doesn't report data for that group.

All Students82%

English language learners36%
Non-migrant81%
Limited English Proficient Current Plus Former45%

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 58% in 2013.

n/a

n/a
Scale: % at or above proficient

In 2012-2013 New Jersey used the New Jersey Biology Competency Test (NJBCT) to assess students in Biology. The New Jersey Biology Competency Test (NJBCT) is standards-based, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of New Jersey. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level on the test.

Biology I

Non-economically disadvantagedn/a
General educationn/a
Non-migrantn/a

Source: New Jersey Department of Education

What is the GreatSchools Rating?

Test score rating
Student growth rating

1-3 Below Average

4-7 Average

8-10 Above Average

How schools in the state rate:

of schools in the state are Below average
of schools in the state are Average
of schools in the state are Above average

Test score rating 20131What's this?

This school
District
State

Student growth rating 20132What's this?

This school
District
State

Math growth at this school

Above average

Reading growth at this school

Above average

1 This rating is based on 2012-13 NJ ASK, HSPA, and/or NJBCT results from the New Jersey Department of Education.

2 This rating is based on 2012-13 Median Growth Percentiles in math and reading from from the New Jersey Department of Education.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 32% 9%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 12%N/A34%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

200 Rues Lane