6-7 & Ungraded
E Brunswick, NJ
Students enrolled: 1,297

Posted August 20, 2014
I am currently a student of Hammarskjold Middle School. When I first enrolled as a student, my prospects were high. Friends of mine had verbalized that it had been a great experience. But after being there for a good duration, I am disappointed. There is a plethora of bullying, both physical and noetic harm being inflicted. First of all, I witness many kids being punched and kicked. Then, when I endeavor to help, I get told not to stop the fighting. Even though I don't get in trouble (luckily), the bully doesn't get suspended, or in some cases, detention. I feel that the principal does not base penalization on incident, but more or less, race/ethnicity. Kids additionally insult others by learning their personal life and utilizing it against them. This has only happened to me a few times, well, that is because I'm more sizably voluminous than them. Anyways, a few times, acquaintances of mine have gotten concussions, broken bones, etc. from people they used to consider friends. For the sake of your children, do not put your children through the misery of what many of suffered for it is not worth the jeopardy. And if you do enroll your child here for some reason, I wish him fortuity!

Posted August 20, 2014

Hammarskjold Middle School 4

Posted August 19, 2014
This school is pretty good. It has mostly nice teachers and the kids are mostly good as well. There are a few insults flying around sometimes from some rude kids, but I have never seen a real case of bullying as a student. The work is hard enough to make standardized tests seem easy, and the teachers want students to do well. There is also a police officer and crossing guards to keep you safe. Janitors and other teachers definetely assist new kids with finding rooms and opening lockers. Finally, there are many after school clubs like basketball, drama club, and chorus .Overall, I think this is a very good school, as a student, but in the halls students need to be disciplined, there are a few not so nice teachers who don't update websites, and transitioning from elementary school is pretty hard. These are the only cons, though, and this is a school your children, as long as they work hard and are polite, will be proud to go to.

Hammarskjold Middle School 2

Posted May 24, 2014
The safety of your child at this school is top rated, as security employs retired law enforcement. Academically, teachers are on an inflated image and really are not interested in the best for your child, more interested in their own test ranking than the child as an individual. Teacher websites often not updated or utilized. Teachers mislead test prep thereby setting child for fail. The administration is more concerned about standardized tests than really teaching kids how to apply lessons in real life. Teachers very judgmental often transferring their own beliefs/feelings onto a child which creates an atmosphere of inappropriate conduct from teacher. If you send your child to this school you must be proactive and pragmatic with teachers.

Posted May 23, 2014
This school is terrible. Teachers are absent frequently. Rather than teach, teachers show videos or tell the students to google the subject matter. My son used to enjoy school but the lack of motivation by the majority of his teachers has made him disillusioned and unhappy. There is also rampant bullying which is tolerated by the incompetent school administrators. If you care for your child, do not go to this school. Aesthetically, the school is very pleasant but it's a facade for a horrible school system

Posted March 01, 2014
This school is really really hard to transition into. They act like it is the best school, but there are too many people, people are cursing and screaming, and it is just a very hard transition. This school has too many kids, should be two middle schools. I used to love school. Now I dread going there every day. I won't mention any names but some teachers are really mean. The only good thing is that most teachers are really nice and funny. This school should really step it up- I feel really bad for the oncoming sixth graders!!

Hammarskjold Middle School 5

Posted January 14, 2013
This is a great middle school! My brother just completed it a few years ago and is well above his peers in other districts.

Hammarskjold Middle School 5

Posted March 20, 2012
I currently attend this school and think it is amazing. I'm in honors classes and although they are harder than regular math and ILA classes, they are challenging but not too demanding. All the teachers are great and helpful, and the lunches are a huge step up from elementary lunches. Although we do not get recess, I do not miss it at all. In fact, I enjoy a schedule without recess because I think education always comes before playing. I always have time to play outside when I get home. Finally, the students are kind which makes it easy to make tons of friends.

Hammarskjold Middle School 3

Posted October 21, 2011
Oversized, clean, new, hard to transition are some words to describe Hammarskjold. First of all, it's really clean, and that's good. But it was such a big transition and the teachers didn't help at all. I learned how to open my locker on the 3rd week of school, because the teachers never helped me. It's also way too big. A lot of my next-to-next classes are all the way across the building, and it takes about 5 mins when I run. I mean, they have 8 elementary schools and 1 middle? Come on. The good thing about being big is that you can make many new friends. Again, the building is always squeaky clean, the lunch tastes good, and the teachers are nice. Some teachers give way too much homework and some are awfully hard in grading, but I like the clean part. Also, it's a new build so the AC is running well and the bully protection system is really safe. So it's okay. Oh yeah, and I won Vice President!

Posted October 18, 2011
The bully policy simply does not work in this town. They mishandled a bully situation and we are trying to undo the damage with a team of professionals. The professionals have even stated that this is no longer the town to raise kids. They have seen many kids in similar situations. You are just a number and no one cares. Our child is not the only one who has suffered, our entire family has suffered. Our child is no longer in this school system.

Hammarskjold Middle School
200 Rues Lane, E Brunswick, NJ  08816
Last modified Hammarskjold Middle School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hammarskjold Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 22 reviews. Top