K-5 & Ungraded|Public district

Bad
Good

Johnnie L. Cochran Junior Academy Elementary School 1

Posted December 07, 2015
Worst experience EVER!!! I have never had so many problems with a school. I have never heard so many "I can't", "we don't have time for that”. Never in my life had I experienced such frustrating school staff. The staff including the principal are SO UNPROGESSIONAL. I have been looking for places to move so my child does not have to suffer thru another year at this school.

Johnnie L. Cochran Junior Academy Elementary School 2

Posted March 17, 2015
My child is currently in the 4th grade at Johnnie L Cochran Jr. Academy. My child has attended this school since being in kindergarten. The first two years I raved about this school. However the last three years I'm sad to admit that I cannot. First I don't think that the principal is kept abreast on what's going on in the classroom. I fought to keep my child in this school due to my child having a interest in the law. The legal studies class is a joke. The children are taught social studies not legal studies. You would think the children would know the ins and outs of the courtroom having legal studies for four years. Instead they watch movies every week. Keep in mind they only have legal studies once a week. Last year I was so upset my child saw 12 Years of Slave in the 3rd grade. This was no way deemed appropriate for a 8/9 year old. The principal doesn't have a clue as to what's going on. Mr. Jacobs is very hard to approach.

Posted January 16, 2015
My son is in the 5th grade now which is the last year one can attend to Johnnie Cochran School. It is an excellent school. It's hard to part ways when this school has strive academic excellence. It also molded the kids into a very good students. I can't say nothing but all good words about this school. Excellent teachers, principal and administrator.

Johnnie L. Cochran Junior Academy Elementary School 4

Posted August 13, 2013
good curriculum, excellent teachers, good rapport with students and excellent after care programs with the local YWCA

Posted June 02, 2011
MY SON HAS BEEN APART OF THE COCHRAN FAMILY SINCE FIRST GRADE AND WILL BE STARTING THE FOURTH GRADE IN THE FALL OF 2011. THE TEACHERS ARE GREAT AS WELL AS THE AFTERSCHOOL STAFF. THERE IS NO BULLYING AND KIDS HAVE A PLACE WHERE THEY CAN FOCUS ON SCHOOL WORK AND BUILD FRIENDSHIPS AS WELL. IT SADDENS ME THAT MY DAUGHTER WHO WILL BE ATTENDING KINDERGARTEN THIS YEAR WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ATTEND DUE TO HAVING TO ATTEND HER RESIDENT ARE SCHOOL. I READ THE REPORTS ON THE SCHOOL SHE WILL BE ATTENDING AND I MUST SAY I WILL BE FIGHTING TO GET HER IN JOHNNIE COCHRAN WITH HER BROTHER BECAUSE HE HAS LEARNED ALOT AND IS CONTINUING TO LEARN EACH DAY. ALTHOUGH THE PREVIOUS PRINCIPLE MOVED ON TO ANOTHER GREAT POSITION YOU CAN'T TELL THAT THE NEW PRINCIPLE HAS MISSED A BEAT BECAUSE ITS STILL ORDER AS USUAL IN THE SCHOOL. THIS IS A GREAT SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted August 26, 2009
Exceeeeeelllleeeennnntttt! my daughter used to attend this school and they give a great education program and they have helped her reach very far as she gets older.!

Posted May 03, 2009
I truly belivev this is the best elementary school in the area. the staff is great the principle seems to really care and the school is very clean I am truly pleased with this school!!!!

Posted September 27, 2007
The leadership and faculty of this school is top notch. The principal is a former Principal of The Year for the state of NJ. Under her guidance the school has seen remarkable improvement and consistently high scores on statewide tests. The teachers and supporting staff are similarily committed to providing a learniing environment that extracts and expects the maximum performance from each child. I have forsaken private schools to enroll my children here.

Posted July 02, 2007
My daughter graduated this year from this school. Its a small school. Great learning environment. The teachers are outstanding. Not to mention the test scores are very high from the students of Johnnie Cochran Academy. Good School.

Posted June 11, 2007
I have nothing but postive things to say about this school. The teachers and staff care. The parents are involved. My child is eager to go to school each day which is a plus. The only down side is that it only goes to the 5th grade and my daughter will be graduating this year. There are very few good options for middle school in the city. If my child doeesnt get into Whitney Houston she will be going back to Catholic school. I highley recommend this school for any parent who actually wants to be involved with their childs education.

Johnnie L. Cochran Junior Academy Elementary School
190 Midland Avenue, East Orange, NJ  07017
Last modified Johnnie L. Cochran Junior Academy Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Johnnie L. Cochran Junior Academy Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 17 reviews. Top