Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Amount of homework: no rating

Depends on the teachers and classes you have, harder classes and teachers usually means less work...

Develops character: Strongly agree

All students are given all the resources to excel but only a few take it

(Regarding Lower and Upper Academy) Plain and simple, these are the best high schools in Elizabeth. They offer a rigorous and extremely challenging curriculum for children that are willing to excel. The education here is top notch, not only compared to other schools in the city but in the country. The teachers here make sure you understand whats being taught and are happy to help you if you ask. The kids here are really smart and are ready to take control of their future. I'm not surprised they are a blue ribbon school and I absolutely believe they deserve their new state of the art building. These are Elizabeth's best! (Hamilton is not bad) but the rest of the schools are something else. The majority of the kids in those school show no effort to get a better education. All they want to do is laugh and play. I'm pretty sure if they weren't so disrespectful and out of control more teachers would actually try to teach! Only in Dwyer,Halsey, Edison, and Jeff will you see fights every other day, kids smoking outside and INSIDE of the school, and outrageous behavior. They honestly need new principles and staff in those schools to show them some discipline. The schools barely even serve their purpose, especially Jeff. Please know the difference between Lower and Upper and the rest of the unfortunate students and staff at the rest of the buildings.

I wrote the review dated August 2, 2012. I am so glad I put my student in a private school. We learned that the supposed best school, Lower Academy, is approximately 50% over its capacity! Do not let your child attend these schools if at all possible.

Based solely on the reviews posted here by current and former students, i can say with 100% certainty that this school is NOT doing a very good job in terms of teaching, even fundamental, grammar and spelling.

I think Hamilton and the Upper and Lower Academies are the way to go as far as the high schools here in Elizabeth. My daughter attended Lower Academy and is now a sophomore at Upper. They are great and they really instill in our children the fundamentals to gaining more education through knowledge and aspire to continue their education past high school. There was no need for me to transfer my child out because of this.

More Counselor involvement, non challenging curriculum and very low tolerant teachers. My son attends this school, loud fights, arguments in hall ways. Teachers turn blind eye, no help with lessons given. No tutoring, Nothing that want to make you get up and go to this school. Edison Technical School needs help, besides a New Building.

I think this school is amazing. I just graduated 2011 and i must say that this school has academic potential. most of the administrative staff must be rearranged but overall the school is magnificent. I attended to The thomas Jefferson Arts Academy and it was quite satisfactory. like i said the teaching needs improving, if that is to work the school could have an even greater reputation.

I love Elizabeth high no matter what people think about it. I just graduated out of Elizabeth high class of 2009. Thanks to EHS rigous gradation requirements and education I graduated successfully and I'm attending Harvard University in the fall.

I'm a student in Hamilton Academy and now a Junior. The only good touch about EHS are the academies, such as Upper, Lower and Hamilton. Those are the buildings that get you to want to go to college and make something for yourself. Many people I know that went to the academies got scholarships and went to prestigious colleges. Now for the other part of EHS, the main complex and Jefferson. Those are not the best houses to attend. The scent of drugs in the bathroom and gambling in the back of a classroom will not be warranted by a kid who wants to achieve. More fights then good grades are achieved in the main complex. If if were someone in middle school, I'd suggest getting your grades up, so you can go to the academies. Trust me, doing that will benefit you.

Last modified Elizabeth High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.