PK-8 & Ungraded
Elizabeth, NJ
Students enrolled: 1,316

Posted July 23, 2014
In all honesty, if you have a child that is bright, articulate, well behaved and willing to learn. FIGHT WITH ALL YOU HAVE TO KEEP THEM OUT OF THIS SCHOOL. There is a severe lack of discipline and supervision and this school just seems to be an unorganized mess. It is unfair for parents who work hard to teach their kids the right way to be forced to subject them to this type of environment. Also it is sad to say but their is little to no parent involvement leaving the teachers pretty much helpless in the situation. I just moved to this area from another state and I could not believe what I was seeing. If this is our future then I am extremely saddened and afraid.

Posted July 22, 2014
the teaching staff is qualified abd they do the best they can. My child gets hurt by other students on an almost daily basis. Suspended kids sneak back in to the building. Many parents are not only not involved in their kids school, they are in gangs so violence breeds violence. Not a safe school, something needs to be done.

Posted January 10, 2014
One thing that I am sure of is that there needs to be some changes. The teaching staff is great but I'm pretty sure there is a resource issue. While newer schools are going up all over Elizabeth, this is one that has been left behind. The building needs and overhaul as well as disciplinary rules. You will not feel safe as you send your children off into this abyss. You just hope that they come home in one piece.

Posted April 14, 2010
i feel that the school is not well organized and the student lack more academic structure, my son is in resource program and have not received his resource class yet. i feel with a little bit more dedication and commitment also from the parents the school may be able to progress a little more.

Posted April 20, 2009
my daughter has attended GW#1 for the past seven years and its like they do not teach them a single thing their. I think that this school needs to improve on their work, start controlling their stdents, try to maintain better grades on all of these students. This is rediculouse.

Number 1, George Washington Elementary School 5

Posted June 25, 2008
My children have attended GW#1 for the past two academic years, & I have found the staff, teachers & enviornment to be very caring. The school is constantly trying to maintain a positive enviornment & has many programs to get families involved in learning process.

Number 1, George Washington Elementary School 5

Posted August 07, 2007
My daughter started attending George Washington School in the summer enrichment program for the first grade. The teacher gave grade level material during class time as well as for homework. Every sheet of work had to be signed by the parent. The teacher, Ms. Alvalaez checked the work everyday and caught errors that I did. not We met the new Principal and other support staff that appeared to be child focused and caring. My daughter and I are looking forward to a great learning experience starting with the second grade.

Posted February 04, 2005
poor quality programs for pre schoolers ,staff and personnel not able to speak English, and teachers arent able to understand pre schoolers needs.

250 Broadway, Elizabeth, NJ  07206
Last modified Number 1, George Washington Elementary School is a Public school. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Number 1, George Washington Elementary School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top